Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#1881 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Well, informed buyers should also have known it was going in there.  It predates the condo.  Friends of mine, that do not live in the two condos there, but live at Songhees are super looking forward to it.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1882 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

I agree completely that property values in the immediate vicinity will rise noticeably upon completion of the marina.

If you think about it, these folks have gone from living in a somewhat plain-jane, aging condo project, to living in a condo that is literally on the doorstep of a somewhat scarce, world class Superyacht marina!

Indeed, for boat owners who may take out one of the 40 year leases, it's not a big stretch to imagine that they might also want one or two condos right next to their boat ... for that "overflow" family and friends crowd who come to party at Symphony Splash.

• Nparker likes this

#1883 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

...not a single owner in the condominiums adjacent to the marina will complain that their real-estate values went up.

Somebody should make a list of all of the developments in Victoria's history that have caused nearby property values to decrease. It's right up there at the top of the anxiety list and yet it seems to be an extremely rare outcome.

• Nparker and nerka like this

#1884 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

...and yet when a race track moves in next door to a bunch of acreages, there's no problem with that whatsoever.

;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1885 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

...and yet when a race track moves in next door to a bunch of acreages, there's no problem with that whatsoever.

;)

Mike, I think that - like the marina, this race track falls right into the zoning and permits allow.

There really isn't a problem with the racetrack any more than there's a problem with the marina.

Just NIMBY - which I totally get.

BUT, if I had enough spare cash to purchase factory race cars and race them as a hobby, I'd pay top dollar for a nice little piece of acreage just a couple of minutes from the race track!

#1886 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Not to split hairs, but the marina has been planned for that location since the late 1980's, and the developer has spent a great deal of time fighting the City to allow what it had been granted permission to build, to build. Tax payers even footed a million dollar court pay out in the process.

But the race track, that's a total surprise to everyone around there. Clearly all were cool with the lumber yard, or whatnot, and suddenly a race track appeared.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1887 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

You're right in that many of the business around the racetrack might be somewhat heavy in nature ... but are probably quite quiet relative to the traffic noise running back and forth to the Lake.

The racetrack would have been a icy cold jolt of reality from a noise point of view.

Other than the occasional pressure washer, I would posit that the new marina will be pretty darn quiet by comparison!

Edited by Cassidy, 21 March 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1888 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

I heard that Transport Canada will make the yachts coming into the Victoria International Marina go all the way down the south side beyond the water runway and then come back up the north side to the marina. If this is true it would really affect the operation of the marina and be a hassle for visiting boaters. That was from a harbour ferry skipper, so I haven't seen any corroboration from Transport Canada.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1889 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Generally speaking, all active waterways have the equivalent of "lanes" in which vessel traffic is obliged to stay in at all times (red and green buoys - "red-right-returning").

The Harbour Authority is quite ridgid in where vessel traffic can, and can't go.

Indeed boats cannot cross the water runway, and will have to proceed East into the harbour and then head back West to the marina.

This map pretty much lays out how the traffic will get to and from the marina:

http://www.gvha.ca/s...ng_2014-map.pdf

#1890 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Interesting. How do vessels enter West Bay Marina? Can they scoot along the western shore, or are they also required to first head east then turn around and head west?

Know it all.

#1891 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

I thought those boat lanes were only for small (under 65ft.) boats.  Big boats get more leeway (and respect from floatplanes).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1892 allstonj

allstonj
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

I heard that Transport Canada will make the yachts coming into the Victoria International Marina go all the way down the south side beyond the water runway and then come back up the north side to the marina. If this is true it would really affect the operation of the marina and be a hassle for visiting boaters. That was from a harbour ferry skipper, so I haven't seen any corroboration from Transport Canada.

If the yachts are coming from the US, they are going to have to go to the Customs dock. Perhaps this is what the ferry skipper was referring to.

#1893 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yes, the harbour procedures are directed at boats under 65'.

Technically, for boats over 65' (and not a scheduled ferry) entry and exit from the harbour would likely involve following directions in real time from the Harbourmaster and/or the Control Tower.

I should have specified in my last post that you can't cross a water runway ..... unless of course you've been given direct permission to cross it :)

The "lanes" are only for access and egress to/from the Inner Harbour, so access to West Bay is along the West side of the harbour, staying in the appropriate location in relation to the marker buoys and the runway.

Edited by Cassidy, 22 March 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#1894 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

If the yachts are coming from the US, they are going to have to go to the Customs dock. Perhaps this is what the ferry skipper was referring to.

Can't you just land and phone it in?  And customs comes to you if they want?

#1895 allstonj

allstonj
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Can't you just land and phone it in?  And customs comes to you if they want?

Only if your boat is too large for the Customs dock, ie, greater than 49m (160').

See http://www.gvha.ca/m...marinas/customs

#1896 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Only if your boat is too large for the Customs dock, ie, greater than 49m (160').

See http://www.gvha.ca/m...marinas/customs

If you read that link carefully, you'll note that you land at the approved customs dock, and then phone it in.

Depending on staffing, and/or policies and procedures - Customs Officers may (or may not) then come down to the dock to inspect your boat.

It's the same out in Sidney, you land at an approved customs dock (there's 5 of them), make the phone call to customs, and then follow directions as to whether you can proceed to your berth, or have to wait at the customs dock for a Customs Officer to do a physical inspection of boat, papers, you, etc.

#1897 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Won't this new marina become an approved customs dock?  If Sidney has 5...

In any event, these big boats have a full-time staff, I'm sure they know how to deal with it.  Just like the big ones that come in now and park at Ship Point.

• Nparker likes this

#1898 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

Here is a new listing at 10 Paul Kane, 4th floor:

http://mikefindsbuye...etails-64532408

1042 sq. ft. $599,900

#1899 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Progress...

33627213062_5b51a96d12_h.jpg

33398977050_14322af737_h.jpg

33627221962_e97ac434e4_h.jpg

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and Dr. Barillas like this

#1900 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

I guess they want to finish the west side first...it seems more advanced.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users