Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#181 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:05 AM

I walk my dog on the dog side of the park every week ,I take my gran daughter to the petting zoo during summer ,I am lamenting the changes over decades..the water park is not child friendly ,small changes over many years each taking away from what we had ..some things yes are only in my view...from harassment from cop's when we "hung out " back in the 60s as teenagers..to the Ice Cream lady that used to come through in her neet little truck ..some things like my perception are just mine ..I miss the less crowded times ..the music from the different corners of "jam groups" of music that I haven't seen or heard in years..I miss things about the park that cannot be explained ,pointed to ..but are gone nonetheless ...do you remember when we had water lily's in the ponds..and we would get chased out of the ponds for swimming in them and rinse in the kid's pool...probably not.." we had" that is what is missing from the park,,what do "we have" now,,,

#182 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Ursus Kermodei cub arrives

A six month old female white Ursus Kermodei cub was placed in a small make-shift cage in Beacon Hill Park in the summer of 1924. According to a Royal B.C. Museum publication, the bear cub was captured by a man at Butedale (an outpost in Kitimat Channel in northern British Columbia), then sold to a man named Flowers, who tried to smuggle it across the U.S. border. (Corley-Smith, Peter, White Bears and other Curiosities, 1989, p. 54-55.) The Times, however, had a different story: “The famous white bear...[is the] only living specimen in captivity of the unique bear of Princess Royal Island,” a large island on the west coast north of Bella Bella. (Times, December 24, 1924, p. 1,2)

In January, 1925, the Park Committee authorized up to $1000 be used to build a new cage. Photographs in Corley-Smith’s book show the bear in three different cages. The oldest photo shows the cub in a small chicken-wire enclosure. A larger second cage is made of wood and chicken-wire, with a dirt floor, a pole and a small house. The last cage was constructed of concrete and metal bars. (Corley-Smith, p. 55) At least Ursus Kermodei was not stuck down in a bear-pit. (The photo shows the bear in 1948, a few months before she died.)

Yup, the good old days! Glad we've made some progress since then.

http://www.beaconhil...s/chapter10.htm

#183 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

^^ So basically you miss the days when old folks thought you were a hoodlum and ruining the park for their grandkids.

#184 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

You and your friends were actually swimming in the ponds and then rinsing off in the wading pool???? No wonder they ended up shutting down the wading pool.

#185 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Re post 177 - I notice it was edited for spelling - you might want to invest in a new spell checker.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#186 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

not the spell checker .. coordination difficulties..or as you say "operator error"

#187 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

You and your friends were actually swimming in the ponds and then rinsing off in the wading pool???? No wonder they ended up shutting down the wading pool.

yah and it took them 50 years to do it ....

#188 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

Nothing happens quickly in Victoria.

#189 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

the water park is not child friendly

I will take exception to this odd statement.

I loved the old wading pool and was not at all happy when the "watering can" was installed. That said, I was there just a few months ago with my kids and they had a great time. The place was filled with kids whooping and hollering and splashing around. It seemed to be very friendly for them.

I think they could have got the same effect by installing a couple of modified fire hydrants but to say "the water park is not child friendly" is ridiculous.

#190 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

My kids absolutely love the watering can and they have been to all of the waterparks and this is their choice of places to go.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#191 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

I'm a floater ..and my gran daughters enjoy jumping off me into the water ..can't do that now at becon Hill..so for me ..it's not as good but then it is not the same for everyone..my opinion ..if it work's for you great ..enjoy ..we still go out to beaver lake or north to less crowded places when we can ,,Victoria is changing in way's I don't understand ,or not comfortable with ..and I voice my opinion right or wrong it is my view ..and right for me ..just as yours is right for you ..

#192 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

1FD56928-A987-4CB4-8931-6198DCB8963E.jpeg

#193 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

^that looks upright on a mobile device only it turns out

#194 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

^

^Fixed it!:

18546138_web1_190917-VNE-Willow2-1200x80

https://www.vicnews....acon-hill-park/

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#195 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

^ Sorry my bad.  I was up in the tree trying to fish for turtles and snagged a horse drawn carriage by mistake.  

• Mike K., Hotel Mike, todd and 1 other like this

#196 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

I went to have a look at that after my daughter told me about it. It's very large and almost reaches to the little island there. A shame. Must have made quite a splash.

#197 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 05:53 AM

Facing the prospect of a bleak winter after curtailed seasons in 2020 and 2021 — when it opened for just a month — the Beacon Hill Children’s Farm is hoping to raise money through an animal-sponsorship program.

The COVID-19 pandemic hit the farm early and hard, with the popular destination closing just days after opening for the season in 2020.

To stay afloat, the Koenders family, which runs the farm in conjunction with the Beacon Hill Farm Society, started a “Goat Fund Us” fundraising page on the Go Fund Me site.

This year, to ensure that the 100 farm animals get safe, warm and cozy barns over the winter, plenty of food to keep up their energy and any ­necessary ­veterinary care, they are asking people to sponsor one of the ­animals — an alpaca, chicken, goat, potbellied pig or a ­miniature horse, for example.

There are 21 sponsorships to choose from, ranging from $25 to $150. Sponsors receive a special certificate in the mail. People shopping for an animal lover can have the certificate made out in the recipient’s name as a gift.

https://www.timescol...-winter-4850491

#198 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 07:30 AM

That’s a Christmas present I would like to get! (Ill get it myself! Haha)
  • Nparker, todd and Barrrister like this

#199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 11:44 AM

From the "Save Beacon Hill Park" Facebook page.

BHP saved.png

I have asked for further details.

• On the Level and Barrrister like this

#200 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 01:13 PM

I have asked for further details.

https://vancouverisl...court-1.5794739

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users