Photo

The Victoria Economy Thread

• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

#641 jonny

jonny
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Right now, if you have a pulse and are out of work, it's because you don't want to work. 

• Bingo and sdwright.vic like this

#642 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,336 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

You would think that one or more of the 600 odd people that we have provided free housing and meals to might put up their hand. It is not like working in a grocery store or café requires a university degree. The sad thing is that they probably can't afford to work as any income they would make would not be enough to offset the thousands a month in freebies they are currently getting.

Just so long as it's not at the till (risk of stealing) and/or produce, seafood, meat and bakery departments (risk of transferable cooties).

Edited by sdwright.vic, 04 October 2017 - 03:11 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#643 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

Right now, if you have a pulse and are out of work, it's because you don't want to work. 

Or you have a disability, you are the primary caregiver for a dependant, you lack access to certain resources that make the application process easier (fixed address, clean clothes, computer, a shower, etc.), the available positions are not suitable for you, you don't have access to reliable transportation, etc.

• gstc84 likes this

#644 jonny

jonny
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

Or you have a disability, you are the primary caregiver for a dependant, you lack access to certain resources that make the application process easier (fixed address, clean clothes, computer, a shower, etc.), the available positions are not suitable for you, you don't have access to reliable transportation, etc.

Thank you for the politically correct clarification. 

I know disabled people who work. Being a caregiver is a job. Everybody has access to BC Transit. Available positions being not "suitable for you" directly relates to desire. 

Anyway, I believe we are at or very near to full employment. Those who are currently not working are either in a very short-term unemployment situation or are simply not likely ever going to work. 

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#645 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 37,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

I do notice we haven’t heard much from social services agencies in regards to things like helping their clients with job skills and job training. I guess when the situation is as it is, and fully capable folks are still sitting on sidewalks begging for money to buy “food” then the narrative falls apart.

Say, why do bylaw officers continue to tolerate so many able bodied traveller types just sitting around begging for money? In this market nobody needs to beg for money.

• jonny and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users