[Marine] Belleville Terminal and Coho/Clipper services

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#121 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

And Hillside Quadra is a far cry from Fairfield... I had assumed the suggestion was facetious. I'm now suspecting it wasn't....  

#122 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

sorry...eight... If we are talking traffic. If its 115 car capacity then 115 get on the going and 115 get off the coming so this is why you need to consider both ways to count the cars....

And if you are in a truck instead of a car, will you know, or will you even care if you're coming or going?

#123 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Oh I see.

I thought there was  an extra sailing only on June 19 and June 20 and then again on Sept 7 and 8th.

Ya, the website could be more clear, for sure.  They really ought to fix that page so the top section just shows the current schedule, properly and clearly.  Then other times of the year further down.   Currently they break it into a 6 periods of the year (one which only lasts 4 days), but the one they bungle and make unclear is their busiest season, odd.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#124 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

And Hillside Quadra is a far cry from Fairfield... I had assumed the suggestion was facetious. I'm now suspecting it wasn't....

I have a very nice 1912 house Hillside-quadra. I would suggest in some ways it is a cooler hood than Fairfield, but I am biased.
Certainly a tonne of heritage homes on the rise up to Summit.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#125 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think there is a reason there are no marinas or docks on Victorias south shore.

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

I think there is a reason there are no marinas or docks on Victorias south shore.

Why?

http://youtu.be/jtqBlkOI1KE

Dallas%20Road%20Storm%202011%20waves.jpg

• Baro likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#127 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

All we need is a concrete pier

https://www.youtube....h?v=Kw2r3Of0miE
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

It has a whole new look!

#128 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I guess liability laws work a little differently in Greece!

#129 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

Looks liike someone screwed up when planting the Welcome sign when they plant them the are not in bloom so they cant see what the colours are  looks odd usually they plant  it with uniform colour

• Mike K. likes this

#130 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Since the colours are not mixed there was clearly no "screw-up" but rather a questionable aesthetic decision. My first reaction when they bloomed was, "that looks weird". I still think it looks weird.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

The provincial government has acknowledged that replacement of the Black Ball Ferry dock in the Inner Harbour is on the horizon.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure issued a statement at the end of March, when it took over responsibility for the ferry terminal from the Capital Commission, saying it would conduct an "engineering assessment" to determine what degree of repair would be necessary.  Now, in response to our inquiries, the answer is different:  "The wharves...will have to be replaced in the future and we are looking at options for the best way to replace them".  No time line is suggested. 

http://www.cfax1070....n-beyond-repair

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

A buddy of mine that owns Seahawks season tickets left it a little late to make reservations on the Coho for yesterday (Friday) morning.  They were full for reservations, but not for first-come.  So on Thursday afternoon he drove his truck down there and parked it for the night, in line I guess.  Same thing coming back, all reservations are taken Monday morning, but he does not want to drive to PA Sunday after the game, so they are coming back via BCF.

Seems odd to me.  Blackball lost the return fare by being so strange.  Or am I missing something?  Clipper does not leave room for non-reserved walk-ups, they sell the thing out.

#133 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

But BCF does the same thing.

It has a whole new look!

#134 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

City staff are recommending councillors write to the province, urging it to get on with the work.

Terminal users say there is an urgent need to deal with deteriorating conditions at both the Coho and Clipper dock areas.

“We’ve reached the point where all of the stakeholders — the residents, the city, the users — everybody is aligned and in a position to really support the redevelopment of the Belleville terminal,” Fortin said.

The idea is that the overall Belleville improvements be done in three stages over several years, beginning with the province undertaking repairs to the aging docks (to be done over the course of three winter periods to minimize disruptions, starting in fall 2015).

In phase two, the city would undertake improvements in front of the terminal, such as removing some fencing along the west side of Belleville Street and widening the pedestrian space along David Foster Way.

Phase three, considered the largest and most complex, would include removal of the existing modular buildings, additional dock upgrades and construction of a new common-use terminal.

*snip*

Economic-impact studies indicate that for 2012, the combined operations of the two core operators — the Clipper and the Coho ferries — generated more than $180 million in economic activity and supported about 4,450 jobs in Greater Victoria, says a report prepared by Sage Baker, Victoria’s executive director of economic development.

“There have been a number of conversations over the years around the potential evolution of the site. However, the most pressing issue is that the terminal is in need of urgent repairs as dock infrastructure has suffered from a historical lack of maintenance,” Baker’s report says.

http://www.timescolo...-says-1.1452893
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

The Clipper has launched a new service called Ship It With Clipper that gives Victorians the option to ship items ordered in the US to the Clipper terminal in Seattle and have them shipped via Clipper for pick-up in Victoria. We've raised the US address issue on several occasions on VV, and this service will no doubt be just what so many Victorians have been hoping for!

More: http://www.clipperva...it-with-clipper

• Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#136 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

^ Under 10 lbs though is less expensive with

http://www.seawings.ca/

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

Don't you have to drive to the airport, though?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#138 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

They have had this service for YEARS - we have ordered quite a few things through them - nothing huge, but things that just wouldn't ship to Canada. It's a bit of a b!tch now that you have to go to the Clipper - get your paperwork - then go to the Customs office in the Atrium - and then return with your stamped paperwork (having paid any Customs fees) for actual pickup at the Clipper - but it is better than having to go out to the airport, etc. (They used to do the Customs stuff AT the Clipper for cargo stuff but not anymore :( )

But the Customs people are really nice (at least to me) and have waived a few fees when the paperwork isn't worth it to them (or they are being lazy).

Edited by LocalMom, 13 March 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#139 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

^ Under 10 lbs though is less expensive with

http://www.seawings.ca/

I think it's possible that service is key here.  Clipper will likely do a better job.

#140 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

^ more convenient too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users