Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#1101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Seriously? Every building adjacent to those houses (except Mac's/P-a-F) is 4-5 stories.

I'm just saying the mix can be more interesting. You don't need to go after every last house. Dense neighbourhoods in other cities often still have a lot of houses.

#1102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

...You don't need to go after every last house. Dense neighbourhoods in other cities often still have a lot of houses.

Someone's been drinking the Pam-Aid.  ;)

The blocks immediately adjacent to the Cook Street Vilage are filled with detached houses.

csv.JPG

The 3 houses behind Mac's/Pic-a-Flic are not exactly on the endangered species list. The CSV has been dedicated a large urban village in the City's OCP.

luv.JPG

I don't think it is unreasonable to see increased density on the properties immediately adjacent to a large urban village's main thoroughfare, especially when they fall between properties of existing greater density (i.e. multi-storey apartment buildings that have been there for 40+ years). I cannot think of a more appropriate place for this sort of increased density than this location.

#1103 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Someone's been drinking the Pam-Aid.  ;)

I cannot think of a more appropriate place for this sort of increased density than this location.

Actually, the Oxford Foods site would be a fantastic opportunity for densification... there's a large surface lot immediately behind that serves the supermarket exclusively.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

...I cannot think of a more appropriate place for this sort of increased density than this location.

Actually, the Oxford Foods site would be a fantastic opportunity for densification... there's a large surface lot immediately behind that serves the supermarket exclusively.

Agreed. While I can't foresee significant increases of density much past CSV proper, there are still plenty of opportunities to add density just by updating the mostly 2-storey structures that currently line Cook Street from Southgate to Oliphant. Of course this will bring out the angry villagers with pitchforks and torches aplenty. Prepare for battle.

#1105 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

35101900873_8a582de459_h.jpg

Funny, I don't think I notice that checkered grey and green paneling on the new building on Fort street across from the Bay Centre before.

Hmm. That must be some new paint or panels on the West side of the old TD bank building. Street view. The new building across from the Bay Centre is only four stories and is in front of the grey/green paneling, with the Yarrow building sitting in between.

Haven't noticed it - maybe someone downtown can confirm?

• Nparker likes this

#1106 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

It's definitely the old office building.

Edit: At Fort & Douglas, I mean.

Edited by aastra, 21 August 2017 - 08:59 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1107 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

Tommy would have to sell it. He owns the store, the parking and his house adjoining the lot plus other lots nearby IIRC.

#1108 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

It's definitely the old office building.

Edit: At Fort & Douglas, I mean.

Oh right, jeez I guess I was too lazy to zoom in on my own pic. Just checked Google Earth, it was just an ugly white wall. Crazy how they did this so stealthy.

#1109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

Right! This was done at around the start of summer.

• thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1110 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

A bit off topic, but did you see that yacht in zoomer's post? Aspen Alternative. How haughty is that! It's only $185,000 a week, plus expenses.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1111 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

A bit off topic, but did you see that yacht in zoomer's post? Aspen Alternative. How haughty is that! It's only $185,000 a week, plus expenses.

Seems steep. About 20 million will buy one similar.

#1112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

A bit off topic, but did you see that yacht in zoomer's post?

It's almost as if nobody noticed.

• jonny likes this

#1113 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Serious yachts have helicopter pads!
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#1114 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

Apparently because of the forest fires lumber prices have gone up by 40-60% recently. This may make it viable to use concrete construction for more low rise projects.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1115 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

A new 3-storey rental is going up at Richmond and Bay:

http://www.timescolo...ntal-1.22125543

#1116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

This is a little development by Urban Core Ventures (the 200 Cook Street folks). Info: http://victoria.citi...-richmond-road/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1117 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

T-C is reporting on the potential redevelopment / relocation of the YMCA on Broughton: http://www.timescolo...move-1.22198447

#1118 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

This is a little development by Urban Core Ventures (the 200 Cook Street folks). Info: http://victoria.citi...-richmond-road/

This seems like a huge lost opportunity. I went by there yesterday and I would have loved something urban on that site with little setback and some ground floor commercial. Four floors should have been a must. Sad.

• Nparker, thundergun, grantpalin and 1 other like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

This seems like a huge lost opportunity. I went by there yesterday and I would have loved something urban on that site with little setback and some ground floor commercial. Four floors should have been a must. Sad.

Our region's obsession with under building is going to continue to have significant impacts on affordability for decades. I am not sure why this seems such a difficult concept for many locals to grasp.

Edited by Nparker, 27 August 2017 - 12:32 PM.

• DavidSchell and cathawk like this

#1120 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

IMG_6401.JPG
Here's a photo of the Shafer on Southgate (taken today). The building will have 9 condo units when complete.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users