Photo

Victoria Construction Rumour Thread + Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread

• Please log in to reply
3804 replies to this topic

#1201 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'll make my usual point re: modern urban-format car dealerships tend to be attractive storefronts. The typically have large windows (that are NOT covered over, can you believe it?), illumination, and generally offer a lot to look at. I have no problem with the dealerships themselves. It's the unnecessary setbacks of the dealership buildings and the unnecessarily prominent lots that make them miserable.

The Volvo dealership is good as far as I'm concerned. If the exact same building were a restaurant or some such thing we'd probably think it was great. And the Toyota and Land Rover buildings themselves are also good, but they're just too far from the sidewalk. Toyota is crazy far from the sidewalk.

Indeed, Volvo dealership has better street-front presence than the retail building next door to it. Had forgotten about it, so I guess there has been at least one good building built in the last few decades.

#1202 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Perhaps the new Mayfair Mall addition will have a nice street-facing presence once complete.

• Coreyburger likes this

#1203 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

The tax office on Vancouver is getting a new coat of paint. And taxpayers are being very generous.

No less that 4 big man lifts onsite to do the job. 4!

It’ll be sort of grey.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1204 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

^Builders' Beige.

This trend of street level government offices with no public assess is a plague on Downtown. If it's off limits put it up on the fifth floor or something.
  • Nparker and DougG like this

#1205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

^Builders' Beige.

This trend of street level government offices with no public assess is a plague on Downtown. If it's off limits put it up on the fifth floor or something.

Under the Harper regime that sort of stuff was cut back, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

The tax office on Vancouver is getting a new coat of paint...It’ll be sort of grey.

^Builders' Beige.

If only it were Builders' Beige. It looks more to me like "Putty Puke", and it's just dreadful. White might have been bland, but at least it looked clean. I blame sdwright.vic for not intervening.  ;)

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1207 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

The tax office on Vancouver is getting a new coat of paint. And taxpayers are being very generous.

No less that 4 big man lifts onsite to do the job. 4!

It’ll be sort of grey.

I believe I broke this news a month ago. Along with new landscaping coming in January.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1208 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

We call it Auditor beige at the office.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1209 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

If only it were Builders' Beige. It looks more to me like "Putty Puke", and it's just dreadful. White might have been bland, but at least it looked clean. I blame sdwright.vic for not intervening. ;)

They told at the OHS meeting it was to be two tones of grey.

Hard to intervene when you supposedly don't really work there. 🤔

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 October 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#1210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

We call it Auditor beige at the office.

Inspired by the envelopes in which tax notices are sent?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1211 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

They told at the OHS meeting it was to be two tones of grey....

Even if one could call this colour grey (and that's a big IF), where is the second tone? It sure looks monochromatic to my eyes.

#1212 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

You are correct. It is only one colour.

#1213 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

So this building is going to be the same colour as Sutton West, which is being painted for some bizarre reason?

*I say bizarre because the Sutton buildings are clad in tinted concrete, which is an architectural detail itself.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#1214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

So this building is going to be the same colour as Sutton West, which is being painted for some bizarre reason?...

Assuming the painting at Sutton West is ever finished - what a haphazard job that seems to be. If that ever happens, the CRA building will look more like Sutton East and Sutton West will be more of the colour of the CRA before it was painted. Sort of a chromatic shell game along this block.  :wacko:

• zoomer likes this

#1215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

Bingo, on 22 Oct 2017 - 9:57 PM, said:

Boy it sure looks dated...too much green space...needs a couple more stories and a rooftop garden.

Then I suggest you get a GoFundMe page started. Based on our remediation costs from 2004-05, I'd think $8-10 million aught to suffice for the changes you want to see.

Edited by Nparker, 22 October 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#1216 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

It's tooo late I am already supporting a new bridge and sewage treatment.

#1217 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

210 gorge.JPG

Cool Aid has officially applied for a rezoning with the City of Victoria for 210 Gorge East (formerly the site of the Cedar Grove Motel).  The proposal is for 50 affordable rental apartments and 32 supportive rental apartments.  The rendering above is from the submission on the city's Development Tracker.

#1218 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

^%$#$%$#  How many of these buildings are we going to build!  If they know that buildings are being built they will just keep coming and coming from all across the country. 

How about we just give them an island somewhere off the coast with no ferry service

#1219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Thread for 210 Gorge Road East: https://vibrantvicto...ntals-proposed/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

...Cool Aid has officially applied for a rezoning with the City of Victoria for 210 Gorge East (formerly the site of the Cedar Grove Motel).  The proposal is for 50 affordable rental apartments and 32 supportive rental apartments...

Too tall! It will dwarf the trees and nearby power lines.

• DavidSchell likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users