Photo

[Oak Bay] Oak Bay Beach Hotel | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2013

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

#21 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

This is where you and I are going to disagree. Stylistically, its crap. This is 2006, not 1926. No one should be building anything that looks like Tudor. Why do people get nostalgic and try to recreate a fanciful period that simply never existed here?

Tudorbethan is a period that existed here.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:19 PM

And what's with the old-style red London callbox in the new image? Even London doesn't have many of those anymore and I'm not sure we ever did in this town.

[url=http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do?query=victoria&page=1&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=search&pnum=P01445:382d6]Just mailboxes[/url:382d6].
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

This poor developer.... :cry:

Isn't The name of the main Nimby OakBay Council person....PAM?

#24 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:18 PM

This poor developer.

I think if you'd ask him, Kevin Walker would probably call himself a hotelier. The redevelopment of the hotel is necessitated by where the hotel industry is headed and he's just trying to be a good businessman and stay competitive. Unfortunately, that requires him to take on the monstrous task of being a developer in Oak Bay. In this end of town we're not good at looking beyond our own narrow self-interests and doing what's in the greater good.

Isn't the name of the main Nimby OakBay Council person....PAM?

Main NIMBY? We have many to choose from so I'm not sure who our "main NIMBY" would be but I'm gonna assume you mean councillor and deputy mayor Pat Copley.

Perhaps you'd care to read a few choice quotes from the February 27, 2006 edition of the Times Colonist article Heritage on the line in Oak Bay:
Added Copley: "I'm not saying save every house [but] if you're going to replace everything, it's going to look like Bear Mountain, which is fine if you want to live in Bear Mountain."

Developers are smart, well-financed and sophisticated. "We can't pretend they're going to stop at the Tweed Curtain," she saidGee, I'd thought you'd be kindred spirits given your mutual dislike for Bear Mountain. LOL.

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:23 AM

Coucil approved the hotel late last night.
Looks like Oak Bayers have to find something else to stick their heels into.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

I guess they can start getting upset about the homeless shelter/ waste treatment plant that is being proposed for Turkey Head.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

Update: The folks at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel have sent an update to everyone on their mailing list regarding the outcome of the public hearing. In part it reads,

Congratulations, we did it! Opening Spring 2009. The Oak Bay Beach Hotel Legacy Project will now be a reality.

Tonight in a special Council meeting immediately following the Public Hearing, Oak Bay Council gave majority support for the project.

Of course, there's still the issue of the lawsuit that one of the neighbouring strata councils have promised to file if the project got approved. It might be a while before this Disneyesque wet dream opens its doors. Let's hope the coffin dodgers all live long enough to enjoy what they've created.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

Nils Jensen was the only no vote.

It was 6-1
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

this is good news. How did Oak Bay ever aprove a 3500 seat arena in 1911, that drew all of Victoria to see huge hockey games. I guess OakBay has lost it's true vision and it's value to the greater community.

How ever I am glad this Hotel made it through.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Nils was on the news this evening defending his decision. He stated that he did not see value in approving a 9-storey building on the Oak Bay waterfront (even though across the street stand several 10-storey buildings). He said this decision set a precedent for Oak Bay and the whole capital area.

Thanks, Nils, for those words of wisdom :roll:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

The approval of the Oakbay Beach hotel will set a precedent for the entire capital city...BAHAHAHAHAHA WAHAHAHAHHAAH HOOOHOOOO WHOO AHHHAHAHHA A H HEH HEHE HHaa HE HOOOOOO OOOHHH MY!!! WOHW...... sorry about that...anyways you were saying...

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Precedent, schmecedent.

So they allowed a fake Tudor midrise in Oak Bay. Big deal. What is he worried about? Fake Tudor skyscrapers?

As if.

#33 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

^ Ohhhh Shitters....hahhahahaaha.....this gets funnier and funnier every post....hahhahahhahaa

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

The most interesting thing in today's TC article about the hotel is the fact that James Garner "discovered" Deborah Unger (who was working as a maid) there and got her her first acting job.

I love James Garner.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

He literally "rocks"!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

Anyone know when they're planning to demolish the existing hotel?

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

He literally "rocks"!

In Hollywood he's considered to be something of a maverick.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

^^ It closes some time in October, I believe.

#39 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

October, the month the begins the death of what is now OakBay. :roll:

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:41 PM

I had lunch at the Oak Bay Marina restaurant this afternoon and the 10-storey condos on Oak Bay's waterfront truly complimented the views. I couldn't imagine a more appropriate development along Oak Bay's waterfront than the condo blocks built decades ago -- and it seems like Oak Bay's forefathers were quite comfortable with that style of development.

The notion that a 9-storey hotel would destroy Oak Bay or negatively impact the waterfront is fearmongering at its absolute best. Congratulations to the fearmongerers in Oak Bay for dragging out a non-issue for years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users