amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

the gcbf sure isn't the only festival anymore
http://www.canadianb...h-to-10th-2015/
http://www.canadianb...h-to-17th-2015/
http://www.canadianb...h-to-24th-2015/

oh but wait, it actually is still the *only* one claiming to be pan-canadian. i don't see any reason why it should become just another regional event like all the others, a 'style' event, like hopoxia or the moon under water's slow beer fest. I know just the thing to keep victoria from giving up the gcbf so easily:

News / City Hall
Toronto may be at centre of global craft beer boom
Toronto councilors want to make city craft beer capital of the world

By: Peter Edwards Star Reporter, Published on Tue May 05 2015

Walk tall, Toronto beer swiggers and brewers.

You’re at the epicentre of a global craft beer renaissance.

So say councillors Mike Layton (Ward 19, Trinity-Spadina) and Gord Perks (Ward 14, Parkdale-High Park).

“As Canada’s largest city, it is fitting that we should be the ones to nourish this growing sector while attracting visitors to Toronto to celebrate it with us,” they said in a joint proposal to city council.

“We can work to make Toronto the craft beer capital of the world.”

They’re proposing that city staff work with small scale craft breweries, craft beer bars and restaurants to help grow the craft beer sector with the goal of making Toronto “the craft beer capital of the world.”

That includes developing a craft brewery culinary trail and cutting barriers to establishing new manufacturing operations. The motion was passed by council on May 5.

The councillors note that more than 47 per cent of Ontario’s food and beverage sector jobs are in the Toronto area and that craft beer is the fastest growing segment within the LCBO’s beer category.

http://www.thestar.c...uds-centre.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 18 September 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

So a couple years ago, GCBF was concerned that there was a policy change that was threatening to stop US beers from coming.

Today, they have 66 Canadian beers.  I simply do not think they need the US anymore, there are so many new Canadian brewers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

So a couple years ago, GCBF was concerned that there was a policy change that was threatening to stop US beers from coming.

Today, they have 66 Canadian beers.  I simply do not think they need the US anymore, there are so many new Canadian brewers.

Need, no, but I like a good selection, and I see no need to have a Canada-only rule given the high volume of Canadian beer at beerfest.  66 beers is about 22 tents at beerfest (usually they put out 3 beers per brewery), and I believe last year there were 40.

#104 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

Never thought you would be a Canadian content pusher VHF?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:49 AM

Need, no, but I like a good selection, and I see no need to have a Canada-only rule given the high volume of Canadian beer at beerfest.  66 beers is about 22 tents at beerfest (usually they put out 3 beers per brewery), and I believe last year there were 40.

Sorry, I meant 66 brewers.

http://media.wix.com...31f733a734b.pdf

Every single one is Canadian.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:49 AM

Never thought you would be a Canadian content pusher VHF?

No, I'm not and it's too bad the US has been shut out completely now.

#107 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

No, I'm not and it's too bad the US has been shut out completely now.

I don't remember the US making a decent beer.

• lanforod likes this

#108 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hmm, well I guess it makes sense given the name of the festival.

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

I've always wondered why the Sticky Wicket doesn't just do one. It'd be much simpler and with longer hours etc.

Oh, they do now, and it's been selling out every year, quite well done.

#110 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

I don't remember the US making a decent beer.

There are some excellent craft brews up and down the coast but don't expect them to be cheaper than you get it in Canada.  I had a trip to San Diego a few weeks ago, and bombers were the same price down there (bombers are the 650ml double beer bottles craft brewers seem to love).  It was a better option to just have pints in pubs so I did that.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

This was 2012:

After a debacle with the B.C. Liquor Distribution (LDB) and Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB), who pulled GCBF’s consular liquor privileges less than 24 hours before the gates were supposed to open for the 2011 festival (privileges were eventually reinstated just three hours before the gates opened), Hieter says he “just couldn’t go through that again.”

“They say we don’t qualify because we’re not a registered charity,” says Hieter. “We’re a not-for-profit society and our mandate is to put on the best beer festival we can. If there’s any money over and above our expenses and the money we need for the following year, that goes to charity. But that’s not good enough for the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, because now they’re saying we’re not allowed to have a bank balance from one year to the next. We have to give it all to charity ... They’re literally trying to legislate us out of business,” he says.

But never fear, 14 American breweries have applied to participate in this year’s festival. These breweries already have distribution in B.C. and, therefore, don’t require a special licence to participate.

“There are probably as many American breweries as Canadian breweries in the B.C. market right now,” says Hieter. “We used to get all these little guys from Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Bellingham and Anacortes who don’t sell beer in B.C., but they come because it’s fun and there’s the benefit of ferry traffic from Victoria. They’re all pretty disappointed they can’t come this year.”

http://www.mondaymag.../159777735.html

#112 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

I don't think anyone really comprehends what a dire state the gcbf is in right now. I don't know whether it's red tape or what but between the price increases & other beer events on throughout the year I don't think it can last more than 5 more years. Either it will become just a BC thing or it will move somewhere else, or both. It had a good run I guess. It would be great if the city didn't charge for the venue as at some events in Oregon.

#113 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

I don't think anyone really comprehends what a dire state the gcbf is in right now. I don't know whether it's red tape or what but between the price increases & other beer events on throughout the year I don't think it can last more than 5 more years. Either it will become just a BC thing or it will move somewhere else, or both. It had a good run I guess. It would be great if the city didn't charge for the venue as at some events in Oregon.

They need to adapt to the rapidly changing and expanding festival scene. I would go, but can't justify the price of the ticket given how many other festivals there are. I've been to Montreal's World Beer Fest a number of times, and there's no entry cost. Not sure if they've worked out some sort of deal with the convention centre, or just charge their exhibitors a hefty fee.

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

Beer Week, the Xmas Beer Fest, Brewery and the Beast, Swine and Dine, GCBF. The beer festival market is saturated and then there’s Art of the Cocktail and several others like it throughout the year.

Even music festivals are beer tasting opportunities and you’ve got so many that we’re seeing some take breaks (like Rock the Shores did last year).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

Beer Week, the Xmas Beer Fest, Brewery and the Beast, Swine and Dine, GCBF. The beer festival market is saturated and then there’s Art of the Cocktail and several others like it throughout the year.

Even music festivals are beer tasting opportunities and you’ve got so many that we’re seeing some take breaks (like Rock the Shores did last year).

Why not just go to a few pubs ? Don't see the attraction in standing in a field drinking beer not kept in the correct condition.

• Redd42 likes this

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

Right, and now there are pubs that feature 50 taps. The need for a beer fest has steadily declined as pubs embraced more selection.
  • JanionGuy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#117 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

The Churchill and The Garrick ( separated by a corridor) between them are serving 97 Canadian beers from across 7 provinces this weekend.

#118 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:22 PM

The Churchill and The Garrick ( separated by a corridor) between them are serving 97 Canadian beers from across 7 provinces this weekend.

what is the cover charge? it must be huge for a thing like that.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 27 June 2018 - 06:44 PM.

#119 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

what is the cover charge? it must be huge for a thing like that.

From the event page itself, "No cover eh!"

#120 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

FWIW, Garrick's and The Churchill always seem to have some of the best selection of beer on tap in Victoria, in terms of non-local fare.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users