Photo

Phillipe Lucas | Victoria | Council

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Personally, I feel the financing laws governing muncipal elections are hopelessly outdated. They need to tighten down on total donations (probably by some per capita means) and total donations by any one individual/party/etc.

#22 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

Personally, I feel the financing laws governing muncipal elections are hopelessly outdated. They need to tighten down on total donations (probably by some per capita means) and total donations by any one individual/party/etc.

From my read of things political parties, and third parties, are not allowed to fund municipal campaigns. BC Elections Act is pretty clear on that I hear. I will find the clause and post here if you like.

Just like donations to municipal candidates differ from prov/fed election rules in that they are not tax deductible. If they were life would be a lot easier for municipal candidates. Many people wanted tax receipts from me and I had to say sorry.

#23 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

From my read of things political parties, and third parties, are not allowed to fund municipal campaigns. BC Elections Act is pretty clear on that I hear. I will find the clause and post here if you like.

Just like donations to municipal candidates differ from prov/fed election rules in that they are not tax deductible. If they were life would be a lot easier for municipal candidates. Many people wanted tax receipts from me and I had to say sorry.

It may, but that law doesn't govern municipal elections, only the provincial ones. Municipal election law is all in the local government act.

And yes, donations should be tax deductible, at the same rate for prov/fed donations.

#24 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Municipal election law is all in the local government act.

I'm sure it still has teeth though. But as mentioned its all new to me.

#25 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

I'm sure it still has teeth though. But as mentioned its all new to me.

Its teeth are all in the disclosure. There are absolutely no limits on who can contribute or how much they can contribute. There are also no limits on spending. You can imagine what this does for the non-incumbent candidates. For example here in Oak Bay I suspect the range of money was ~$1000 for myself up to easily 7000-10000 for Chris Smith or Tara Ney.

#26 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

Its teeth are all in the disclosure. There are absolutely no limits on who can contribute or how much they can contribute. There are also no limits on spending. You can imagine what this does for the non-incumbent candidates. For example here in Oak Bay I suspect the range of money was ~$1000 for myself up to easily 7000-10000 for Chris Smith or Tara Ney.

Yes. In Victoria one unsuccessful candidate I know spent $14,000 (major ouch). The average output I hear is $5,000 for incumbants and $10,000 for new candidates.

I made the decision early on to only use money I could fund raise - so ended up spending only a small fraction of that.

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

I moved the Candidate's payraise derail up to the Politics Forum here.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users