Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#1281 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

On another forum the issue of the modal share of cycling in Fairfield and Fernwood came up.

The claim was made that Fairfield Plaza is full of cars but empty of bikes. Last night - a night too cold for many Victorian cyclists - I counted at 7 PM.

8 bikes including my own (lots of space on the racks)

51 cars (lot 3/4 empty)

Assuming each car brought an average of 1.5 people I would estimate a cycling mode share of roughly 10% on this cold night to this one destination.  This does not account for walkers although I did see several people walking to and from. I'll repeat when the weather is warmer.

• rjag likes this

#1282 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Yesterday I had a rare thing happen:

A car actually came to a full stop at the stop sign where the Galloping Goose crosses Harbour Road. 

Sadly the driver spoiled the effect by starting to proceed while my bike with my son and a friend on the back were crossing right in front of her. Her passenger screamed at her and we escaped unscathed.

#1283 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Drugs are now a bigger killer in the US than cars: http://www.breitbart...related-deaths/

Wow! That is a lot of deaths by car! How many from bikes?

#1284 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

At least double of that for people killed by cycling scofflaws.

#1285 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

I had a cycle rage incident at that spot last week. Guy bombed through and when I caught up to "politely" inform him that he blew a stop sign he yelled at me for biking in the crosswalk, which of course is totally legal there. I bet he's totally supportive of the new Pandora lanes tho.

#1286 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Oh yawn! I have already said that car drivers do not think they are perfect. However for the average person driving, guess what they didn't know this was one of those "special" crosswalks that you had priority in. You can not blame their confusion, or anger.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1287 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I can blame them for going 20 through a stop sign.

#1288 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I can blame a shite load of bicyclists for:

1. Riding on sidewalks
2. Riding the wrong way on a street
3. Running red lights.
4. Running stop signs
5. Not wearing a helmet
6. Riding on sidewalks.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1289 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

5. Not wearing a helmet

Getting upset about that seems weird to me.

I could care less about any given car driver wearing a seatbelt or bicyclist wearing a helmet.  I can only get outraged if others lives are put at risk.

That said I am glad that most do wear seatbelts / helmets.

#1290 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Getting upset about that seems weird to me.

I could care less about any given car driver wearing a seatbelt or bicyclist wearing a helmet. I can only get outraged if others lives are put at risk.

That said I am glad that most do wear seatbelts / helmets.

we have socialized healthcare so my monthly msp bill is paying for these idiots brain damage treatment. if we had a capitalist system i wouldn't care
  • mbjj likes this

#1291 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

we have socialized healthcare so my monthly msp bill is paying for these idiots brain damage treatment. if we had a capitalist system i wouldn't care

That's not enough to make me care a lot.

For one thing the correlation is rather weak. Most seatbelt shirking drivers will never exit their windscreen face first and most helmetless bikers will never become a brain injury statistic.

Plus if I got mad at everybody that potentially cost the healthcare system a bit of extra money I'd have to be pissed off at rugby players, hockey players, dirt bikers, anyone riding a motorbike, smokers, sedentary people, anyone drinking in more than moderation, drug abusers, people driving greatly over the speed limit, people driving too slow, helmetless bikers and seatbelt-shirking drivers.

• hotdoglegz likes this

#1292 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

And people who do nearly all of their transportation by car too. That's also not good for the public health system.

#1293 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

1. Riding on sidewalks
2. Riding the wrong way on a street
3. Running red lights.
4. Running stop signs
5. Not wearing a helmet
6. Riding on sidewalks.

Oh god, here we go again... endless finger pointing, us vs. them BS

What we all fail to realize is that Drivers also ride bikes... and Cyclists also drive cars.  This huge generalization and grouping of user groups is so ridiculous!  There are a large variety of Cyclist and Drivers out there, both have individuals who use their chosen model of transportation for commuting, work, recreation etc... both have individuals who break the rules and make bad decisions... BUT both also have individuals who do follow the rules and share the road.

lt's not the mode of transportation that makes someone an 'idiot' cyclist or 'bad' driver, its the individual using the bike or car!... l can guarantee that an individual who doesn't respect other users, or the rules of the road, while riding a bike is equally as careless while driving a car!  and vice versa.   

Can we please stop beating this dead horse... us vs. them is doesn't help anyone.

l ride a bike, most of the time in spandex, sometimes as a commuter... l follow the rules of the road, l wear my helmet and respect other users.  l also drive a car and display the same attributes while driving (minus wearing a helmet).  l know l'm more vulnerable being labeled as a 'spandex warrior' while out riding, and this negative association produces a potentially dangerous environment for me and others because of the 'we're all the same' generalization.  l assure you, l'm a good guy, l have a family, wife and friends who care about me... and if you met me l'm sure you'd not want to run me off the road or yell or honk at me if l make a mistake while out riding... but l also know you'd likely not recognize me out there riding in spandex, so here in lies the problem with negative generalization.  Think about it.

• hotdoglegz, weirdie, jessief and 6 others like this

#1294 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

^Clearly we need VV jerseys so cars know not to hit us.

Capture.JPG

• Nparker, rjag, 57WestHills and 1 other like this

#1295 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

^Clearly we need VV jerseys so cars know not to hit us...

Or perhaps have a better target.  :eek:

#1296 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

In light of all the attention recently towards cyclists and bike infrastructure... l'd like to present a few questions to both cyclists and drivers.

What are your thoughts about cyclist visibility during the day, specifically regarding cyclists running daytime lights (front and/or rear, solid or flashing pattern)?

l have always run front and rear lights in low light or no light conditions (no brainer), but more recently have been running a daytime rear flashing light went riding. 

After using a daytime rear flashing light for about 2 months now, my general perception is that drivers seem to noticing me earlier and in turn slow down before passing and/or give more space when passing.

What have other cyclists experienced?  Do you run daytime lights?

Drivers, does the added visibility change the way you approach cyclists on the road?

#1297 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Drivers, does the added visibility change the way you approach cyclists on the road?

Make DRLs on bikes mandatory.  Cyclists are already hard to see in some conditions due to their size. 

• Mr.B likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1298 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Daytime - rear blinking red, no front light.  Low light/night time - rear blinking red, front light that's solid white, and monkey lights on the front tire.

Wife swears by front light on in the day I think it's a waste of battery (waste of rechargeable USB light battery lol).

I don't wear high vis clothing as a rule but my Eddie Bauer jacket is yellow incidentally.

#1299 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Make DRLs on bikes mandatory.  

Why mandatory?  Responsible cyclists wear helmets, reflective or bright colours, and will use DTRLs too.  If others don't, so be it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1300 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

My mum grew up in England during WWII. She got a ticket from a bobby for not having lights, and that was way back then. Don't they still make lights that come on when you pedal?

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users