Photo

Signage, advertising and video billboards in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#221 JHHL

JHHL
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

I am totally against placement of portable signs where it would cause inconvenience and put people in danger. But come on.... a permit + decal + annual fee? Does it means if one pays for the fee, he/she is allowed to inconvenience others? My sign is on the lawn, I honest don't think it causes any danger to public. Furthermore a block away, a recycling firm has few sandwich boards out on the lawn warning people of trucks... I guess they will need permit to keep display those signs?

IMG_3506.JPG

#222 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

New signs on CIBC today I wasn't quick enough to get the camera when they were lowering the big letter C down but this is what the new signs look like. Now if they send up a pressure washer to remove the crime that outlines the old sign it will be great.

#223 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Why do they keep changing the logo every few years?  This one isn't even a logo change, it's just a smaller but more colourful version. 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#224 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks HB :-)

That's such a tacky logo. The old one was the best

history-logos-100th.gif

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Now I guess we have the rings of Saturn and a Masonic square.

I've always wondered why they ditched the chevrons and pillars as such drastic logo changes are uncommon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#226 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

...if they send up a pressure washer to remove the crime...

If only it were so easy...

#227 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Nice of you to post a picture of my one and only first ascent on the Chief.  :-)

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

The west facing sign is being installed today and here we have a good view of old and new.

CIBC-Tower-December-12-2013.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#229 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

And this folks is why banks charge their customers such exorbitant fees. Just what is this new signage declaring that the old sign did not?

#230 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Victoria Council voted last night to reduce the overall annual fee to $35 dollars.

The previous annual cost was well over $100-dollars.

http://www.cfax1070....street-sign-fee

#231 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

They are offering some retroactive refunds, to the few businesses that had complied.

When I walked down Fort yesterday I noted only one sign with the City's legal sticker, 12 without.  I'm guessing all the heat the bylaw people got when they might have started enforcement was behind the change.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#232 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

The booster juice in Cook Street Village has three large signs up around the front of their store making each walk by seem like a passive aggressive sales pitch. Hopefully the city takes a stop by there...

#233 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I guess if they didnt put this DO NOT ENTER  sign up today at the entrance to London Drugs on Vancouver street..... The contractor could be liable to any idiot who couldnt see the mountain of torn up road and drives over it or into it.

#234 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:04 AM

I'm really not cool with Orange Theory locking the spraypainted bikes around downtown. Those are public bike racks, not advertising space. I hope we aren't subjected to more exploitative marketing stunts.

#235 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

I'm really not cool with Orange Theory locking the spraypainted bikes around downtown. Those are public bike racks, not advertising space. I hope we aren't subjected to more exploitative marketing stunts.

Is it any different than a vehicle with business signage, parked legally somewhere?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#236 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

Or bus stops...... they are public spaces filled with larger adveryisements

#237 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

When I first saw a beater bike with a flat tire and an all-over paint job I assumed it was the ride of one of our local crack fiends. I'm not sure that is great thing to associate with a fancy gym but I guess any ad campaign that gets people talking and typing is a success.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#238 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Is it any different than a vehicle with business signage, parked legally somewhere?

Not exceptionally, except that they are obviously broken and nobody is (or plans to) use then as transportation.  I seem to recall that a bicylce left for a week was considered derelict by municipal crews.  I think it's akin to leaving an uninsured car on the road instead of in your garage.  It's not the best analogy, I know.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Those bikes should be removed and the bill to do so submitted by the City to that gym. There is no reason why this is considered anything other than dumping garbage on municipal property while marketing a business using public infrastructure.

At least with a truck it pays the City and tax payers for the parking stall it uses, or will be fined and/or towed. And unlike a sandwich board that can be put aside if it obstructs pedestrians the orange bikes are immovable without lock cutters and once moved require disposal.

When it comes to marketing a rigid line has to be drawn otherwise we'll have a free-for-all.
  • Jill likes this

Know it all.

#240 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Those bikes should be removed and the bill to do so submitted by the City to that gym. There is no reason why this is considered anything other than dumping garbage on municipal property while marketing a business using public infrastructure.

At least with a truck it pays the City and tax payers for the parking stall it uses, or will be fined and/or towed. And unlike a sandwich board that can be put aside if it obstructs pedestrians the orange bikes are immovable without lock cutters and once moved require disposal.

When it comes to marketing a rigid line has to be drawn otherwise we'll have a free-for-all.

10001579_789121771107497_258642856084020

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users