Signage, advertising and video billboards in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

What we do know is the City has received complaints and is looking into the matter. In other words, they are already expending tax payer resources as a result of someone's idea of brilliant marketing. And since derelict bicycles are removed by City crews then the next step is removal at yet another cost to the tax payer.

If we introduce legislation that allows individuals to plunk items anywhere on public property to market their wares and services then what these guys are doing will be cool. But as long as this practice is not supported by the City then we, as tax payers, are not in the business of subsidizing someone's idea of a marketing strategy.

You might think of this as a "buzzkill" but business is business. Either you open the gates for everyone or you take someone breaking the rules to task.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Again Michael, you have no idea if Orange Theory's plan was to never pick the bicycles up themselves or leave them there until the city removed them.

Last we heard the bikes are gone. Do you know it wasn't Orange Theory who removed the bikes?

#263 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

You can park your company work truck anywhere you want but you have to pay to park and/or receive a ticket and/or move your vehicle when the time restriction kicks in. There's no issue there.

There is no fee to park your bicycle. What's the time restriction? Do we have any evidence that Orange Theory violated the bicycle parking time restriction?

#264 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Well then you better also suggest the poster cylinders on poles are removed too as well as all news paper boxes on street corners and any thing else that nimbys dont like

#265 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Pretty certain that the streets and parking bylaw already covers this:

http://www.victoria....ylaw-09-079.pdf

Check out section 102, basically if you leave it on the sidewalk and it is advertising (excluding sign boards) you can be fined.

#266 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

There is no fee to park your bicycle. What's the time restriction? Do we have any evidence that Orange Theory violated the bicycle parking time restriction?

Well, no, but it's still a jerk thing to do. Hey, I don't mind a little chaos and guerilla tactics in my city--I have no desire to live in a city with shopping mall rules. But I also have the right to boycott your business because your lame-o campaign annoyed me. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#267 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

But I also have the right to boycott your business because your lame-o campaign annoyed me. 

Not to mention that colour - yowza!  :eek:

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

One thing is for certain, if the bikes were removed by the business a day after being plucked onto bike racks then what was the point of this marketing campaign? All it managed to accomplish was cite complaints and use up bike rack space. It's highly likely the City acted immediately when complaints came in and either removed them or required they be removed. Great success.

Like Holden I also don't have a problem with people finding unique ways to market a business or idea, but if you want to think out of the box get the necessary permits and do things legit. Littering our streets with derelict bikes is unnecessary and (evidently) counterproductive.
  • LJ likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#269 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Last we heard the bikes are gone. Do you know it wasn't Orange Theory who removed the bikes?

I spotted six of them sprinkled around Cook Street Village (padlocked to bike racks & street poles) ten minutes ago.

I think they ought to be treated as sidewalk signs:  one per business, just outside the business space permitting so that they're placed where they do not obstruct others (pedestrain passage or bicycle storage); with a sign permit sticker affixed and dues paid for the privilege.

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 25 May 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#270 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

What's the deal with something like this? Technically speaking, is this in keeping with the City's sign bylaws?

The restaurant is in Saanich.

kuku.jpg

Know it all.

#271 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

^That's kind of funny.

Club 9one9 is getting a renovation, name change and new video signage for their marquee.  The city doesn't much like them, they are having to work through the regulations.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#272 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

^That's kind of funny.

Club 9one9 is getting a renovation, name change and new video signage for their marquee.  The city doesn't much like them, they are having to work through the regulations.

Legends, Element, Club 9one9; they should have a standard procedure for working through this process, given that they do it with some regularity. :)

#273 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Don't forget the Old Forge!  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#274 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Another name change?!

BTW, does anyone know what 9one9 means or refers to?

#275 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Another name change?!

BTW, does anyone know what 9one9 means or refers to?

The street address.  I think after a drive-by shooting a name change is a good idea.

Mom:  what are you doing tonight, son?

Son: heading to 9one9 for a show

Mom:  oh no you are not, that's where the shooting was

Son:  OK, I'll go to the Strath instead

Mom:  Ok son, be home by 3am

• todd likes this

#276 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

err.jpg

7y.jpg

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#277 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

http://victoria.crai...4848162495.html

00909_iBiaL5BIjZ2_600x450.jpg

ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS (760 Queens Avenue Victoria B C)

#278 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

A good idea for a nearby competitor would be a sign saying, "NOT a Kimpton hotel".

• Nparker and Jill like this

#279 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

signage.jpg

Now that we have some blank canvasses all over the city, do you think we can find useful or artistic uses for the backs, for folks walking the other way?

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#280 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

Now that we have some blank canvasses all over the city, do you think we can find useful or artistic uses for the backs, for folks walking the other way?

Shhh!

Edited by todd, 14 March 2015 - 06:26 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users