Signage, advertising and video billboards in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

I guess I can confess that little bit of "urban archaeology" is my doing. After the workmen had gone home for the day I'd attack a little bit every few days with a putty knife. I uncovered the M'F'R (manufacturer) and worked my way up. By the time I got to the "A" the paint was stuck good and I gave up, not knowing what the word is (there are 411 possibilities). My guess is "Carriage" as they were once built there.

Here is a history of the building
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'll post that interesting link under my photo.

Your urban archaeology has been appreciated on Flickr. With one suggestion that the new owners should have left that exposed fragment and sealed it.

Here's a more artistic rendition:
http://www.flickr.co...378126/sizes/m/

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

I guess I can confess that little bit of "urban archaeology" is my doing. After the workmen had gone home for the day I'd attack a little bit every few days with a putty knife. I uncovered the M'F'R (manufacturer) and worked my way up. By the time I got to the "A" the paint was stuck good and I gave up, not knowing what the word is (there are 411 possibilities). My guess is "Carriage" as they were once built there.

Here is a history of the building

Looking closer, it appears that the letter above to A (of AGE) appears to have a flat bottom, at least flat on the portion right above the middle of the A. So that rules out letters like H, Q, R, O, P, A, F, K, X, N, and could maybe exclude a few more. Plug that into your thing ans see how many it cuts it down to.

#44 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hmmm, except if you look at the E, the left side is very wide, and then the drop shadow would put a shadow that far to the right w/o too much problem. So I don't think you can rule out R (etc), which would make "garage" a contender.

#45 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Looking closer, it appears that the letter above to A (of AGE) appears to have a flat bottom, at least flat on the portion right above the middle of the A. So that rules out letters like H, Q, R, O, P, A, F, K, X, N, and could maybe exclude a few more. Plug that into your thing ans see how many it cuts it down to.

I pulled this from the URL on the history of the building, 1991 image when the place was a bingo hall.

The 'A' in Wm Marble's name matches the 'A' in the sign fragment, and since Wm Marble made carriages...
C
A
R
R
I
A
G
E

M'F'R' (for Manufacturer)

#46 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hmmm, except if you look at the E, the left side is very wide, and then the drop shadow would put a shadow that far to the right w/o too much problem. So I don't think you can rule out R (etc), which would make "garage" a contender.

It's CARRIAGE as the urban archaeologist guessed.
I rest my case based on the evidence provided.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

And remember the letters to the various local papers predicting accidents and traffic mayhem caused by the arena's sign?

I was just thinking of that today as I was being "blinded" by it. What a bunch of huey over nothing.

#48 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

I find it pretty grating. Can you imagine if these were all over town? Personally I'd dislike it.

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Well I wouldn't be surprised if we find them popping up all over the place. It's not like the city has much of a leg to stand on with regards to discouraging them since they set a new precedent with the arena.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

I like the arena sign.

#51 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

It's not a question of love or hate.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

For its size, I don't think I've ever seen a sign that's so easy to ignore.

But I sure don't need to see any more of its kind.

#53 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

Driving south on Blanshard, at Finlayson, I see that Redd's Roadhouse Pub has a sign half the size of the one at the arena, but equally as bright. They've got it programmed with a red background at the moment, which certainly draws the eye, but no traffic accidents yet.

I'd love to see these sorts of signs used in an artistic or creative way, to highlight and illuminate buildings and business names at night, a contemporary version of the old neon signs. That would look particularly lovely in the dark and wet of winter. The public big-screen TV aesthetic leaves something to be desired.

#54 Hailey

Hailey

whippersnapper

• 20 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

^^

I totally agree! Large projections are amazing at night!

#55 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Well I wouldn't be surprised if we find them popping up all over the place. It's not like the city has much of a leg to stand on with regards to discouraging them since they set a new precedent with the arena.

There were a couple of issues that were raised with the arena sign.

The first was size and brightness being a distraction. There were some days and light levels which were initially a problem, but I think that has been resolved now.

Th second issue was the idea of using signage as a 3rd party billboard rather than promoting the specific business owning the sign. At first the city challenged some of the content (especially since the city is supposed to get 25% of the content for free to promote local events and services) but either by design or lack of complaints nobody seems to care anymore. When there are no upcoming events the sign is pretty much exclusively used for 3rd party paid content.

It is the second point that I was more concerned about with respect to precedent. I have no issues with a nice attractive digital sign promoting a business. What I have a problem with are electronic billboards popping up all over town.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Squamish Nation approves digital billboards by December

http://www.vancouver...7037/story.html

By Graeme Wood, Vancouver Sun
October 15, 2009

The Squamish Nation council approved the construction of six digital billboards on its land in Vancouver, the North Shore, and Squamish today in an effort to increase revenues for the band.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Comfort Inn at Blanshard and Finlayson has installed a video screen that faces southbound traffic along Blanshard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

A few more of those signs around town and Victoria will be just like England.

#59 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Piccadilly Circus

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A-iRd8CXppw

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

I wonder if this enamel sign could be the oldest street sign in Victoria?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users