Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Looks nice and not even too far to get there

• AllseeingEye likes this

#42 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Yah, figuring about 90 mins to get out of town (Greater Vancouver) and get to the specific spot on the river we want to fish. We'll be a few weeks too early for the campground to be open unfortunately so we'll see how it goes on Day 1; if the fishing is good we'll head back the next day, it not we'll probably head up to the Squamish River on the Sunday, which we're all very familiar with.  

#43 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I need to fill out the random and mandatory survey DFO sent me about my fishing activities in February re: my tidal sport license.

Matt.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:13 AM

Hold on hold on hold on. 90 minutes to get out of town, ASE?

Bam! Looks like Vancouver traffic isn't that nice after all!

...just razzing you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

I grew up there, and I've fished the Vedder a couple of times, but I'm not a fisherman so I don't really have tips for you, ASE. Beautiful country though there are a few too many aholes who dump garbage along there.

During the salmon runs, its elbow to elbow fishing, just like the Fraser in Chilliwack.

90 minutes would be pushing it, depending where you are coming from and what time, as Hwy 1 between Langley and Abbotsford is still a slog during rush hour. The Vedder is on the far south side of Chilliwack, you'll want to take the No 3. rd exit in Sumas, rather than going all the way to Vedder rd exit. Oddly, Google Maps calls it the Chilliwack river, but that is incorrect.

#46 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I grew up there, and I've fished the Vedder a couple of times, but I'm not a fisherman so I don't really have tips for you, ASE. Beautiful country though there are a few too many aholes who dump garbage along there.

During the salmon runs, its elbow to elbow fishing, just like the Fraser in Chilliwack.

90 minutes would be pushing it, depending where you are coming from and what time, as Hwy 1 between Langley and Abbotsford is still a slog during rush hour. The Vedder is on the far south side of Chilliwack, you'll want to take the No 3. rd exit in Sumas, rather than going all the way to Vedder rd exit. Oddly, Google Maps calls it the Chilliwack river, but that is incorrect.

Thanks for the input lanforod; yes I frankly didn't understand the naming convention 'confusion' when I did some online research as clearly they are separate rivers. We'll be based and heading out of the Kits neighborhood however as we'll have rubber on the road by 5am I expect we should be able to have lines in the water by or hopefully before 7am. 

#47 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

OBPD

On May 19th, police were at the Cattle Point boat ramp and checked a couple of fishermen with regards to their catch. The two males had exceeded their allowable limit of crabs. The excess crabs were returned to the water and the men’s information will be passed on to DFO.    

https://www.oakbay.c...-may-15-21-2017

Pull up to the cattle point far ramp a little while back, two young friends by the ramp the one guy immediately/awkwardly tells me he just found the fish on the ramp and was cutting it up because he didn't want it to go to waste, I smiled and nodded and said “oh great” on the way up to get my vehicle thinking how disgusting that is, I realized he thought I was an officer, think he figured it out when I started backing my trailer with my ancient vehicle.

#48 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Pull up to the cattle point far ramp a little while back, two young friends by the ramp the one guy immediately/awkwardly tells me he just found the fish on the ramp and was cutting it up because he didn't want it to go to waste, I smiled and nodded and said “oh great” on the way up to get my vehicle thinking how disgusting that is, I realized he thought I was an officer, think he figured it out when I started backing my trailer with my ancient vehicle.

Uh-huh. Because fish always "just happen" to jump out of the water and conveniently land on the launching ramp and apparently in another amazing coincidence the guy "just happened" to have a fillet knife on him. Its a $115 fine for fishing without a license and offhand I can't recall the penalty for being over the limit. Regardless DFO takes these shenanigans seriously, as they should, and will rightly toss the book at anyone fishing illegally. A very good friend of RJag's and mine once wound up in provincial court because we were fishing off Sooke and as it happened he didn't have his license on him but had caught and failed to record the fact he had two spring salmon on the document when we got back to the marina later that day. Unfortunately for "x" DFO happened by the filleting station at that time and the rest was history, heh....

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Yup. You don't mess with DFO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

One time I was carrying around bag of live crabs lady asked me why my bag is moving I told her I have crabs she looked even more concerned.

• AllseeingEye and Bingo like this

#51 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

The pinks are in with a vengeance for any hard core fishermen on the forum; just spent two days in Campbell River fishing the Campbell, Quinsam, and Puntledge rivers in addition to Nile Creek. Great fish for smoking. Heading back up for the Labor Day long weekend to Campbell River for the coho run, which we also started to see this week in decent numbers...

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 August 2017 - 01:13 PM.

• jonny likes this

#52 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Good, i'm looking forward to seeing a ton of $4 fillets in store soon, so long as they were flash frozen ASAP after catch.

#53 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

Snapped this literally at the mouth of the Quinsam (on the right of the image) as it flows into the Campbell River; some of my posse in the background waiting for the salmon coming in from the ocean - about 3 clicks down river from this point - as they come back into the system on their way back to the Quinsam spawning ground.

The weather was gorgeous. At the motel we stayed at, literally perched right beside the Campbell River, we met fisherman from all over North America and even some guys from Europe. Swapped some great fish stories over beers and stogies at night. Had a great time. Nice thing about ours and other 'fisherman's motels' in the area is you literally gear up in your room, put on your wading gear and boots, walk 20 meters to the river, pick your spot, and you're fishing with 30 minutes of jumping out of bed. Awesome set-up - 

Attached Images

• Campbell Quinsam.jpg

• todd likes this

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

Do you empty out your waders and clean the fish in the bathtub?

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

/\...No, not those kind of waders, heh. This is a full body/chest/shoulder wading outfit; take it and the boots off and hang 'em inside out on the rail outside the front door. Clean the fish river-side. Many of these fishing-oriented motels don't have bathtubs, just showers. But they do have fridges, microwaves and the all important coffee-makers. All you need really....

• Bingo likes this

#56 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

So in preparation for an upcoming 4 day Campbell River fishing trip over Labor Day weekend I got one of my spin cast reels re-strung with braided line yesterday - completely forgetting in the process the fact that braided line requires an utterly different, and much more intricate knot, than does mono-filament line. So here I sit watching endless YouTube videos on how to tie fishing knots - something I've been doing since I was 12 - for a braided line setup. Sheesh.

Should be great fishing though; was speaking to a fellow angler this week who told me the run this year on the Nanaimo River is well in excess of a million pinks; as all species are showing up later this year I expect we'll do well on the Campbell and Quinsam systems which should see a strong run of coho and even some big slabbies....

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

What's a big slabby?

Know it all.

#58 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

/\....Fisherman slang for Chinook....rolls off the tongue easier than its scientific name "oncorhynchus tshawytscha".... :)

• todd likes this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

Lol.

Gotcha.

Know it all.

#60 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Bleh...it was way too hot (37 C on Sunday on the Campbell River waterfront, by the Tyee Pool) for anyone to catch anything of substance this long weekend; maybe 1 in 20 anglers, both fly and spin cast, were catching anything at all.

The rivers are parched, water levels far too low and the water temps much too warm for the salmon to make the journey from the salt to freshwater. We had to settle for 2 ling cod caught in the salt chuck. There are fish in the rivers but the runs are smaller than forecast and of course since they are spawning the fish aren't feeding. Great trip though and lots of fun, just needed some more fish, lol....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users