BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#2981 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Once again I never have a problem when I go there. But then I don't think I have to park directly in front of the store.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2982 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

Once again I never have a problem when I go there. But then I don't think I have to park directly in front of the store.

Exactly.

I'll say it again, park underground. It's fine. Actually, it's probably some of the cleanest, safest, easiest free parking in Greater Victoria. Come in off Douglas and park under Best Buy. Seriously. Try it!
  • Nparker and LocalMom like this

#2983 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Or even come in from under Whole Foods!
  • LocalMom, jonny and Redd42 like this

#2984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

H&M is closing its store on the 23rd for a renovation that will last until late August at the earliest. The grand opening is anticipated for late summer or early fall. The store will partially re-open ahead of the grand opening.

Meanwhile H&M will open a pop-up store in the space where the Halloween store has perennially opened.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2985 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Remodeled? Already?

#2986 ohbananas

ohbananas
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Remodeled? Already?

They're taking over the top portion of the newly closed Urban Planet. Suzy Shier will be in the space below.

#2987 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

Uptown-Saanich-Plaze-pedestrian-crossing.jpg

Work starts on pedestrian crossing between Uptown and Saanich Plaza

http://victoria.citi...-saanich-plaza/

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2988 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

I'm assuming this is a level street crossing, not an elevated one?

#2989 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yep...

#2990 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

Instead of taking the idea of hundreds who suggested a pedestrian overpass they opted for the less safe less reasonable and less logical crosswalk which will still be ignored. People get hit in crosswalks but one more traffic light intersection is what Victoria needs :blink:

• Nparker, LocalMom and johnk like this

#2991 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:13 AM

Logic? A pedestrian overpass would take forever to cross. Think how shallow and long the ramp has to be. People would mostly ignore it and continue to sprint across the busy street.
  • tedward and jonny like this

#2992 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

^^ it's Saanich... not Victoria?

#2993 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

Logic? A pedestrian overpass would take forever to cross. Think how shallow and long the ramp has to be. People would mostly ignore it and continue to sprint across the busy street.

I agree with this. Having to walk up, across and then down again, will seem like too far to some people and they would rather just sprint. 

It should be noted that this deals with the Ministry of Transportation, so it isn't just Saanich - just FYI. 

• jonny and Jackerbie like this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#2994 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

My point was it was someone blaming Victoria again for something they are not involved in.

#2995 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

Not if it was built from the second parking level at uptown.

Take for ever to cross on a pedestrian overpass?

They will continue to sprint across the street any way when has a crosswalk in this region ever had the effect of having people obey it and obey the signals. Will this cross walk magically have an effect of having people get their faces off their cell phones? Will it have a magnetic star trek force field protecting pedestrians who saunter out with out a care in the world against the light?

Edited by HB, 25 April 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#2996 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

I have never seen in Canada a car vault onto a pedestrian overpass hitting anyone nor have a seen in Canada a vehicle brash into a pedestarin overpass causing it to collapse.

The ramp would not need to be long . they could build it like a Canada Line platform.

While they are at it they should build one on the other side of Save on Foods where all those different people live on Nigel and who dart across the road . Its like a life size version of the Game Frogger over there

#2997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Can we put this to rest, please?

Know it all.

#2998 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:30 PM

Actually, I think the lights and crosswalk work quite well.  The times I've driven through it has been green - maybe less people are wanting/needing to cross than before.

35706953305_681eedf1a8_h.jpg

35576156651_2d022de30e_h.jpg

• Daveyboy and shoeflack like this

#2999 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:15 AM

I agree, the lights are working well and as a side benefit allow cars exiting WalMart and Save-On to cross multiple lanes and turn at Saanich Road. My only minor gripe is those 5 large bright lights flashing in unison almost sears your retinas at night.

#3000 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

From Google reviews:

The exterior architecture of this mall is spot on. It suits old town downtown Victoria, you almost feel like you're walking down Johnson street...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users