BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#3021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

off-topic.jpg

#3022 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

But is it? Is it really?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3023 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Ok, you guys have convinced me Victoria's Old Town is average, at best. Now to get out of this hellhole and relocate to Omaha.

Hey don't riff on Omaha man - there a lot worse places I can think of to hang your hat including plenty of back water joints in this country. Super friendly people, great food scene, some of the best steakhouses in 'murrica, you can get NHL games on TV from five different cities and - can't do this in Dysfunction by the Sea - you can sit in your car and watch the uber-cool B-52's taking off from the USAF Strategic Command installation at Offutt AFB, and...

............and - they have malls, lots and lots of malls...just like Uptown Mall - BTW anyone know when the residential phase of Uptown is due to commence? See what I did there...? That should keep NParker happy....  :) 

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and Daveyboy like this

#3024 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

But those two building don't make it worthy of being frozen in time.

Which is probably why half the buildings in the old town and most of the finest ones were demolished decades ago. Because none of it was worth preserving. Unlike [insert any other place here].

Victoria is like a pretty girl who believes that she's ugly, so she cuts off her nose and ears to win the argument.

#3025 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Is our present day frozen in time mentality not an overreaction to the past stupidity vis a vis the razing of so many fine Victorian buildings in what is now regarded the Old Town? That's always been my take. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3026 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

In my reality it doesn't compute. How do we explain the flat non-reaction to the JSB replacement plan, or the lack of concern about the HBC building when it was abandoned, or the supreme lack of concern about the Janion and the Northern Junk buildings for all those years? How do we explain the resistance to putting a fine building back on the old post office site or on the bus station site? How do we explain the "acceptable" design of the new building on Fort Street across from the Bay Centre? How do we explain the staunch defense of frickin' surface parking lots?

Can present self-deprecating stupidity really be a reaction against past self-deprecating stupidity? To me it seems like a very odd coincidence that blind anti-development forces and blind pro-development forces would share the same contempt for Victoria's historic built form.

#3027 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

In my reality it doesn't compute. How do we explain the flat non-reaction to the JSB replacement plan, or the lack of concern about the HBC building when it was abandoned, or the supreme lack of concern about the Janion and the Northern Junk buildings for all those years? How do we explain the resistance to putting a fine building back on the old post office site or on the bus station site? How do we explain the "acceptable" design of the new building on Fort Street across from the Bay Centre? How do we explain the staunch defense of frickin' surface parking lots?

Can present self-deprecating stupidity really be a reaction against past self-deprecating stupidity? To me it seems like a very odd coincidence that blind anti-development forces and blind pro-development forces would share the same contempt for Victoria's historic built form.

The lack of concern around vacant buildings is befuddling, I agree. 

Regarding the JSB, I don't know. Maybe because it isn't really that attractive? I blame the paint job. 

I haven't quite figured it all out yet, but it's some sort of weird combination of:

- Loss aversion (the economic theory that it's better to not lose something than gain something) & status quo bias

- Deep seeded mistrust and dislike of developers

- Anti capitalism

- Anti gentrification

- We place less of an emphasis on property rights, and more on the public sphere.  

- Fear of change. People have strong ties to this community and its history and culture and fear that the community won't be the same. See the uproar over the Bengal Lounge closure or when Swan's removed the dance floor. 

#3028 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

Google Review:

This is a nontraditional urban mall that mimics a high street in England.

#3029 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Any idea what's going on with the rental building?

#3030 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:32 AM

OMGosh , is there any way to keep inane comments from public view and time wasting? Please lose these idiots.

#3031 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

You know, the Google reviews for Uptown may be more informative than I realize. We're all familiar with the contradictory and inconsistent attitudes re: development and redevelopment in Victoria. Even if you give people a cat, some of them will complain because it's too much like a dog.

high class

Walmart+Forever= Broke student heaven

European style architecture

Too high end for my liking

Walmart, Bestbuy, and some clothing retail stores. Nothing fancy

Overwhelming layout. You have to take your time to learn how to get around.

Easy to get in and out

Parking is a joke

Poorly designed mall. It seems like the architect thought we lived in southern California.

You can Park and Shop most of the stores without getting rained on

Typical in some ways but different and cool in others

There is a Walmart. Not much else.

Great selection

Lacks multiple shops that I like.

Love all the different shops

If you need it they have it

Very spacious and ample parking

Bad parking but good shopping

everything from budget stores to high fashion shops and delicious restaurants and coffee shops

Totally lack of restaurants.

Outdoor malls are big in the states but don't really make sense in a small city like Victoria.

Not enough surface parking.

To summarize: abundant & convenient parking, but not enough convenient parking. Many budget options, but too high end. Outdoor shopping centres are not appropriate for Victoria, even though outdoor shopping centres have always been big in Victoria (Town & Country was the first major one, lest we forget). Lots of variety but not enough variety. Many places to eat but not enough places to eat.

• Nparker, Danma, 57WestHills and 2 others like this

#3032 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Don't forget the SoCal European architecture!

#3033 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Don't forget the SoCal European architecture!

Or is that So-Called European architecture?

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#3034 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

...So-Called European architecture?

I believe that is the official style of architecture at Tuscany Village.

#3035 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

I think it's supposed to be a little slice of Solvang. But much, much bigger.

Think of it as Californian faux-Danish with a faux-Victorian 21st-century international twist. But styled exactly like a British high street. With the look and feel of lower Johnson. Except modern.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#3036 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

I think it's supposed to be a little slice of Solvang. But much, much bigger.

Think of it as Californian faux-Danish with a faux-Victorian 21st-century international twist. But styled exactly like a British high street. With the look and feel of lower Johnson. Except modern.

FauxLoJoMo?

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#3037 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

FauxLoJoMo?

How apropos.

#3038 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Amazing walls as well, I might add.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3039 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

BTW... is Phase 3 ever going to get built or are the holding off till they find and anchor?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3040 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Good luck finding an anchor at Uptown. No anchor shops. (Wal-Mart actually has anchors but they're too fancy for me.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users