BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban Core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3026 replies to this topic

#3021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 16,041 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

off-topic.jpg

#3022 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 4,336 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

But is it? Is it really?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3023 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,949 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Ok, you guys have convinced me Victoria's Old Town is average, at best. Now to get out of this hellhole and relocate to Omaha.

Hey don't riff on Omaha man - there a lot worse places I can think of to hang your hat including plenty of back water joints in this country. Super friendly people, great food scene, some of the best steakhouses in 'murrica, you can get NHL games on TV from five different cities and - can't do this in Dysfunction by the Sea - you can sit in your car and watch the uber-cool B-52's taking off from the USAF Strategic Command installation at Offutt AFB, and...

............and - they have malls, lots and lots of malls...just like Uptown Mall - BTW anyone know when the residential phase of Uptown is due to commence? See what I did there...? That should keep NParker happy....  :) 

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and Daveyboy like this

#3024 aastra

aastra
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

But those two building don't make it worthy of being frozen in time.

Which is probably why half the buildings in the old town and most of the finest ones were demolished decades ago. Because none of it was worth preserving. Unlike [insert any other place here].

Victoria is like a pretty girl who believes that she's ugly, so she cuts off her nose and ears to win the argument.

#3025 jonny

jonny
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Is our present day frozen in time mentality not an overreaction to the past stupidity vis a vis the razing of so many fine Victorian buildings in what is now regarded the Old Town? That's always been my take. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3026 aastra

aastra
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

In my reality it doesn't compute. How do we explain the flat non-reaction to the JSB replacement plan, or the lack of concern about the HBC building when it was abandoned, or the supreme lack of concern about the Janion and the Northern Junk buildings for all those years? How do we explain the resistance to putting a fine building back on the old post office site or on the bus station site? How do we explain the "acceptable" design of the new building on Fort Street across from the Bay Centre? How do we explain the staunch defense of frickin' surface parking lots?

Can present self-deprecating stupidity really be a reaction against past self-deprecating stupidity? To me it seems like a very odd coincidence that blind anti-development forces and blind pro-development forces would share the same contempt for Victoria's historic built form.

#3027 jonny

jonny
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

In my reality it doesn't compute. How do we explain the flat non-reaction to the JSB replacement plan, or the lack of concern about the HBC building when it was abandoned, or the supreme lack of concern about the Janion and the Northern Junk buildings for all those years? How do we explain the resistance to putting a fine building back on the old post office site or on the bus station site? How do we explain the "acceptable" design of the new building on Fort Street across from the Bay Centre? How do we explain the staunch defense of frickin' surface parking lots?

Can present self-deprecating stupidity really be a reaction against past self-deprecating stupidity? To me it seems like a very odd coincidence that blind anti-development forces and blind pro-development forces would share the same contempt for Victoria's historic built form.

The lack of concern around vacant buildings is befuddling, I agree. 

Regarding the JSB, I don't know. Maybe because it isn't really that attractive? I blame the paint job. 

I haven't quite figured it all out yet, but it's some sort of weird combination of:

- Loss aversion (the economic theory that it's better to not lose something than gain something) & status quo bias

- Deep seeded mistrust and dislike of developers

- Anti capitalism

- Anti gentrification

- We place less of an emphasis on property rights, and more on the public sphere.  

- Fear of change. People have strong ties to this community and its history and culture and fear that the community won't be the same. See the uproar over the Bengal Lounge closure or when Swan's removed the dance floor. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users