BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#2561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

There's a lot of international capital backing them, I believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2562 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Any further word on Whole Foods? Is there a thread for that project yet? Fall 2016 isn't too far away.

#2563 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

There is a crew along with an excavator and other heavy equipment in the Uptown Whole Foods pit this morning.

Does Whole Foods deserve its own thread?

#2564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

We can keep it contained within this one for construction of Uptown but a second d thread for the grocery store itself (AMD construction) may be a good idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2565 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

May 07, 2015. Crews are working on the third project phase's foundation.

Uptown-Phase-3-May-07-2015.jpg

Know it all.

#2566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

As mentioned by Mr_E_Squirrel here, Nanaimo-based Power House Living Foods Co. is opening a kiosk at Uptown.

Know it all.

#2567 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Is phase three just the food store or will there be a residential element as well. I assume the twin thirty story building will not be happening!!!  Sorry if this has already been explained ...

#2568 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

... Nanaimo-based Power House Living Foods Co. is opening a kiosk at Uptown.

I just took a look at their menu (http://www.powerhous...a/raw-food-menu). How does one have a raw "stir-fry"? Put oil in the wok but neglect to turn on the heat?

#2569 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

I just took a look at their menu (http://www.powerhous...a/raw-food-menu). How does one have a raw "stir-fry"? Put oil in the wok but neglect to turn on the heat?

It's a flavour texture comparison. I believe it's called merchandising... Calling everything a "salad" on a raw food menu would be a little boring...

#2570 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Serving just raw food IS a little boring.

#2571 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

I disagree. I've had some amazing raw food - I'd recommend giving it a try.

But, depending on your preferences, you can find any food boring. 

• Mixed365 likes this

#2572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Is phase three just the food store or will there be a residential element as well. I assume the twin thirty story building will not be happening!!!  Sorry if this has already been explained ...

For now, yes. What the residential component will ultimately look like we don't know at the moment but I can only assume there will be at least one highrise.

Know it all.

#2573 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

Have you ever eaten at Bliss?

#2574 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Have you ever eaten at Bliss?

No, but I KNOW for myself a diet that never included any cooked food would be boring for ME. A diet of nothing but cooked food would also eventually be tiresome. In fact I had a large salad for dinner last night and quite enjoyed it, but look forward to hot food tonight. Variety is the spice of life, that and some garlic.

#2575 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

No, but I KNOW for myself a diet that never included any cooked food would be boring for ME. A diet of nothing but cooked food would also eventually be tiresome. In fact I had a large salad for dinner last night and quite enjoyed it, but look forward to hot food tonight. Variety is the spice of life, that and some garlic.

I suggest trying it then. It's raw and delicious. I get you though... I'm a vegetarian...except for bacon...

#2576 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Edited by dasmo, 12 May 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#2577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

I have to concur, Bliss offers some great stuff.

Know it all.

#2578 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:02 AM

>>>For now, yes. What the residential component will ultimately look like we don't know at the moment but I can only assume there will be at least one high-rise<<<

Thanks for the answer, I sure hope something worthwhile goes there. Perfect spot for many reasons for a tall residential tower. And, on the same subject, I think the right hand side of Douglas Street from Uptown to hillside is where residential high-rise development should go. I know one was proposed in this area across from Mayfair ... I don't know what happened, probably turned down. I also think Shelbourne street from Johnson to Sayward should look like Veterans Memorial. Two lanes both ways. Cut down the old maples and replant on both sides with Japanese plumb trees down the middle. Wilkinson should also be four lanes from the Pat Bay to the Trans Canada. Craigflower from Admirals to Six Mile should be three lanes with the right hand lane becoming a fly-over onto the Trans Canada. I think these infrastructure improvements would last quite some time. I don't believe any amount of transit improvements will get very many people out of their cars ... but the transit system needs the same large improvements the roads do.  

#2579 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

Nparker said ...

>>>Variety is the spice of life<<<

Yes, in our city's architecture as well. I was just driving away from the Vancouver airport toward Victoria and as I looked over toward the "tall" buildings of Richmond, I noticed quite a similarity to Victoria's "tall" buildings ... they are all the same height!

#2580 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

Nparker said ...

>>>Variety is the spice of life<<<

Yes, in our city's architecture as well. I was just driving away from the Vancouver airport toward Victoria and as I looked over toward the "tall" buildings of Richmond, I noticed quite a similarity to Victoria's "tall" buildings ... they are all the same height!

Richmond's buildings are lower than its neighbouring municipalities because of massive height restrictions mandated by the YVR through the Aeronautics Act. You will find this in any municipality/area adjacent to an international airport. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users