BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#2761 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:44 PM

The Whole Foods building still strikes me as unusual for a grocery store, and if I didn't know better I'd assume it was going to be a tire and auto center.  The large, evenly spaced rectangular windows look like service bays and the main entrance looks like the tire store - just like many Firestone centers I've seen...

Like a hypermarche in France. Tires and batteries in the aisle next to fine Burgundies.
So could I get an oil change with my organic bananas?   ^_^

24683516241_39455a4cd1_h.jpg

TrailTireKingsway.jpg?v=1440594955918?v=

#2762 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:52 PM

Once the locals get a look at the prices it could well become an auto service facility.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2763 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Are you kidding, in our granola crunching town?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2764 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Some updates from today...

- That's some massive entryway into the new Brown's Social House.
- Parc Modern Interiors is moving from their Bay St. location into the LARGE remaining ground floor space next to Steve Nash's recent expansion.
- They're building more retail in a new building that will connect the existing site to the new Whole Foods on the west side.
- It certainly is a cavernous concrete underground beneath the new development.

... and why does spinning the exterior cladding design wheel always come up "brick"?

25926911770_81dbcb0aad_h.jpg

25926899360_03153a1afd_h.jpg

25595022984_f2cac0ab4e_h.jpg

26133478061_1e3aa642e9_h.jpg

26133482631_0d757a3f69_h.jpg

26173852946_fe69954871_h.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#2765 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

sdwright.vic, on 01 Apr 2016 - 9:48 PM, said:

Are you kidding, in our granola crunching town?

You mean in our notoriously cheap granola crunching town.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2766 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

wow, Gary, that telephoto lens you have is amazing!   :) 

Regarding Brown's, they had to redo the sidewalk and build that huge steel framing for the outside deck.  I'm wondering how successful this location will be at this far end. Only time will tell and certainly WHole Foods will be a draw.

Has anyone else shopped at Parc Modern?  My wife and i went in there a few times while outfitting a condo and found their prices to be high -- ie. REAALY HIGH  -- while service on all occasions was at an all time low. I'm interested to hear others' experience.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#2767 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

...Has anyone else shopped at Parc Modern?  My wife and i went in there a few times while outfitting a condo and found their prices to be high -- ie. REAALY HIGH  -- while service on all occasions was at an all time low. I'm interested to hear others' experience.

I only went into their showroom once, but the prices were so outrageous that I did not stay long enough to discover what their customer service was like.

#2768 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

found this post and just wanted to bump it up, since the Mckenzie interchange and bus lanes are in the news. as far as i know BC Transit hasnt given a timeline on when they plan on building the exchange. one thing is for certain this option will not work, as the residential component is planned for this site. I believe the exchange is to be built along crease ave

I really hope they make it easier to get into Uptown from the Goose. Right now it's clear that they're not really interested in bicycle traffic.

#2769 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

By September this will be built:

http://saanich.ca/se...ept_Jan2016.pdf
  • lanforod likes this

#2770 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

Impressive.   :thumbsup:

While it's not clear from the sat image, the new connector is near the top of the Goose overpass so traversal across to Carey Rd. might be at/near the Carey Rd. grade.  It also eliminates that steep path from the Goose with its hair-pin turn (correctly used here) at the top.  It further looks like I might be able to bike right to the Whole Foods bike rack from Ravine Way.

Edited by Gary H, 05 April 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#2771 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

There's a large image at the switch bridge triangle right now. Also Saanich staff will be on site on the 17th during the Saanich Cycling Festival to answer questions about the new connector.

Yes there will be a bike path from the current access to uptown that will wrap around to the corner of ravine and Blanshard. No plans to continue it to Saanich road as of yet. They would like to continue it to Vernon at some point.

Yes it's mostly at grade but I'm not thrilled with the turns. Hoping they can smooth it a bit so less speed loss.

#2772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Second only to the McKenzie/TCH interchange, this is a major step in the right direction (no pun intended).

Douglas-Street-Trans-Canada-Highway-Carey-Road-Uptown-connector.jpg

Trans Canada Highway/Carey Road connector to streamline Uptown access

http://victoria.citi...-uptown-access/

Road access to Uptown Shopping Centre is about to get easier with the installation of a connector between the Trans Canada Highway and Carey Road, Citified has learned.

The existing road alignment prohibits northbound drivers from turning onto Carey Road from the highway while access to the busy shopping centre has been limited to a small entranceway steps from the Douglas Street/Trans Canada Highway and Saanich Road intersection. An access lane connecting Uptown’s underground parkade will remain open, albeit its entrance will be realigned. [Full article]

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2773 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

I believe part of the funding from this comes from Transit.  I think this has to do with them using this area as a hub/future exchange.

#2774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

Yup, makes sense, but Whole Foods was the major driver here. The bus exchange isn't anticipated to materialize for quite some time.

• nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2775 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

Damn all that expensive land scaping ripped up. On a side note, bunch of police cars at uptown today and they had part of the road blocked off

#2776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Damn all that expensive landscaping ripped up...

Funny, that was my first thought as well. ^_^ One wonders how this was not part of the original Uptown plans.

#2777 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

The big underground cavern under WholE Foods is getting duct work put in. Strange for what is supposed to be more parking?

#2778 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Hhmm although there are air sensors in the rest of Uptown's underground parking so maybe it has something to do with that? Or maybe Whole Foods pumps in their bakery's exhaust to make us all hungry...?

#2779 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

I know... it's strange... like there may be another large retailer that's not been announced.

#2780 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

... On a side note, bunch of police cars at uptown today and they had part of the road blocked off

Whatever it was it apparently merited a posting on the Uptown website.

http://shopuptown.ca/534-2/

Edited by Gary H, 18 May 2016 - 06:13 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users