Traveller's Inn bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

Mayan calendar ends.

I better get my affairs in order then...

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

So lets stop beating around the bush ...

What is the website? I saw it a couple of years ago but I haven't seen it for a while.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

I saw this on the TC's weekly list of job openings:

Traveller's Inn Hotels & Resorts: Comptroller, Assistant Comptroller, Payroll Clerk

Is it unusual for those financial positions to come available at once?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

The ads are free and the TC encourages businesses to run as many ads as possible so it is not suprising.

#25 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

I interpreted Holden's question as speculating on the possibility of organizational dysfunction. Why are three positions from the finance/accounting sector of this company available simultaneously, especially the Comptroller and Assistant Comptroller jobs? When I see a cluster of vacancies like this in an apparently established organization, my inclination is to sense trouble.

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I interpreted Holden's question as speculating on the possibility of organizational dysfunction. Why are three positions from the finance/accounting sector of this company available simultaneously, especially the Comptroller and Assistant Comptroller jobs? When I see a cluster of vacancies like this in an apparently established organization, my inclination is to sense trouble.

Fair enough but I was only pointing out that perhaps Asfar is just building up his resume inventory as well since there is no cost to run the ads.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

http://www.ratemyemp...ID=4726&prov=BC

#28 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

^Oh yeah. That company's in free fall:

Travllers INN and lemo business are now bankrupt as july 3 2009 according to a posting on craigs list .org.Also if canada revenue agency and rcmp have started an investigation for back tax and debits owed to the government of canada and leined all there properties ,bank accounts etc they will get paid first, second is any banks and last are employees and unsecured creditors and suppliers.

Protect yourself and keep all paperwork and consult with bc labour board and send copies of all your imformation with a covring letter to ccra fraud inspectors at the victoria tax office and protect yourself and your own personal bank account because of your employeers mistakes and f..k ups ..next time get a unionized job...or unionize whats left of travelers inn after bankrupcy.

Many more like this on the link VHF provided.

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Fair enough but I was only pointing out that perhaps Asfar is just building up his resume inventory as well since there is no cost to run the ads.

For wishful thinking in the face of evidence of bounced cheques and Revenue Canada investigations I award Spanky123 the coveted Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf Award for Optimism Under Fire.

But I may be proven wrong and Asfar might simply be browsing for holiday backup.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

Having checked out the link provided by VicHockeyFan, I fear I may have judged Asfar too harshly. Perhaps all his problems stem from incompetence in the accounting department, and he has quite rightly cleaned house. Fingers crossed he finds a comptroller and payroll clerk who have mastered the fine art of paying the staff and sending the payroll deductions to the government.

#31 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

If you check CSO it shows 78 lawsuits against John Asfar. Some of the recent lawsuits involve banks and mortgage companies.

Holy crap, that's an interesting site. I never would have thought to look stuff up there...

ASFAR, John
GENERAL MORTGAGE CORPORATION LTD v BLANSHARD MANOR HOLDINGS LTD | Supreme
Foreclosure | Victoria Law Courts 092475 05Jun2009

#32 riversticks80

riversticks80
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Having checked out the link provided by VicHockeyFan, I fear I may have judged Asfar too harshly. Perhaps all his problems stem from incompetence in the accounting department, and he has quite rightly cleaned house. Fingers crossed he finds a comptroller and payroll clerk who have mastered the fine art of paying the staff and sending the payroll deductions to the government.

I can tell you that the reason he has no accounting staff is because they all quit, none of them were fired. He had very competent payroll clerks and controller's. The problem is with the owner himself, not with the employees. I was once a employee of his which is how I know this. He refused to pay employees on time and I know for a fact that the last two paycheques of most employees have bounced. I have no idea if they are going bankrupt but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

#33 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

Welcome to the forum.

thanks for the inside info. That owner sounds horrible.

#34 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

Does anyone know of Asfar's list of holdings/properties? If Traveller's Inn goes bk, it will be interesting to see what needs to get sold off.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

Does anyone know of Asfar's list of holdings/properties? If Traveller's Inn goes bk, it will be interesting to see what needs to get sold off.

Most of the time owners set up each property as its own legal entity so that a problem with one doesn't impact the others.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Most of the time owners set up each property as its own legal entity so that a problem with one doesn't impact the others.

Yes that is the situation here.

#37 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

could it not be the case that one is used as collateral against the next. would seem that if someone plays games one way (e.g. with CRA), then they might in other ways (e.g. with banks or lending companies)

#38 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Dispute hobbles Traveller's Inn Vancouver Island hotel chain

A tax dispute with the federal government delayed pay for Traveller's Inn staff.

The Island's Traveller's Inn chain is seeking talks with its creditors to resolve financial problems that temporarily left its employees unpaid.
The company, one of the Island's largest hotel companies with close to 1,000 rooms, is trying to settle a multimillion-dollar tax dispute with the federal government that has blocked access to cash, Traveller's Inn owner John Asfar said yesterday.
Staff were finally able to cash their paycheques last Friday, Asfar said. They had gone unpaid for a month, although they're supposed to be paid every two weeks.
"Now I'm back on track," Asfar said. "My staff are all happy again."

#39 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

Dispute hobbles Traveller's Inn Vancouver Island hotel chain

A tax dispute with the federal government delayed pay for Traveller's Inn staff.

The Island's Traveller's Inn chain is seeking talks with its creditors to resolve financial problems that temporarily left its employees unpaid.
The company, one of the Island's largest hotel companies with close to 1,000 rooms, is trying to settle a multimillion-dollar tax dispute with the federal government that has blocked access to cash, Traveller's Inn owner John Asfar said yesterday.
Staff were finally able to cash their paycheques last Friday, Asfar said. They had gone unpaid for a month, although they're supposed to be paid every two weeks.
"Now I'm back on track," Asfar said. "My staff are all happy again."

Some more hard-hitting investigative journalism by the Times Colonist. All Carla Wilson had to do was read a local message board (like this one) to see that the situation may not be as cut-and-dry as Asfar says. I'm not saying cite unconfirmed sources, but arm yourself with the questions inevitably raised by reading this thread. Way to do your research.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

I think it has more to do with the TC sucking up to one of their advertisers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users