Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1621 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

^Good news for Sysco.

• Matt R. and allstonj like this

#1622 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

Harsh!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1623 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Cruise ship bound for Victoria this Saturday will arrive here at least 2 passengers short – woman killed onboard, family member to be charged in her death

According to the Victoria Harbour Authority, the Emerald Princess is due in Victoria on Saturday, July 29th, at 7pm.

MORE:

http://victoriabctod...d-in-her-death/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1624 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

Holy smokes. That's crazy. First Oprah goes missing and now this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1625 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

The ship arrived in Skagway this morning all is normal now

#1626 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

The ship arrived in Skagway this morning all is normal now

Plus one last minute cabin space for sale.
  • SimonH likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1627 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

A Utah man killed his wife aboard an Alaska cruise and told an acquaintance who later walked into the couple's blood-splattered room that he did it because she laughed at him, the FBI said in documents released Thursday.

Emerald Princess left last Sunday from Seattle, and due to dock in Victoria on Saturday.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...umbia/1.4224480

#1628 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

There will probably be an additional cleaning charge added to his bill on top of the mandatory gratuities

• VicHockeyFan, lanforod and johnk like this

#1629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

These vessels at anchor (in order of left to right) at Royal Roads anchorage arrived from Japan, China and South Korea. They are awaiting their slots to enter ports on the Lower Mainland.

One thing I didn't know is that despite international charts identifying their location as Constance Bank, the localized term for that particular area is Royal Roads anchorage. Constance Bank is south of James Bay. The monikers created a bit of a dust-up on VV's Facebook page this morning, lol.

Constance-Bank-July-31-2017.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1630 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Do they have to pay anything to anchor there?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Not sure, but they do have to pay for pilots to guide the vessels to their destinations.

Know it all.

#1632 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

I believe that is open anchorage and free of charge, and usually they don't clear customs until they enter English bay, so the crew is captive on board.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1633 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

These vessels at anchor (in order of left to right) at Royal Roads anchorage arrived from Japan, China and South Korea. They are awaiting their slots to enter ports on the Lower Mainland.

One thing I didn't know is that despite international charts identifying their location as Constance Bank, the localized term for that particular area is Royal Roads anchorage. Constance Bank is south of James Bay. The monikers created a bit of a dust-up on VV's Facebook page this morning, lol.

Constance-Bank-July-31-2017.jpg

That's ok - I set 'em all straight :). I've sailed and chartered across and fished on Constance Bank so many times its burned into my grey matter permanently - and that location above ain't it, lol....

Edited by Mike K., 31 July 2017 - 09:37 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#1634 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

So we're going on an Alaska cruise at the end of August. Any advice?

#1635 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

So we're going on an Alaska cruise at the end of August. Any advice?

1. Take a dog-sled shore excursion if offered. I did mine in Juneau.
  2. If you stop in Sitka, check out St. Michael's Orthodox Cathedral (and I say this as an atheist) https://stmichaelcathedral.org/
  3. Don't bother spending any time Skagway, it's a total tourist rip-off. If time allows while in this port, rent a vehicle and drive to Whitehorse. The scenery is gorgeous (weather permitting) and Whitehorse is a great little town that not many Canadians ever get to see. We did the return trip in under 8 hours including a stop for lunch in Whitehorse.
  4. Have a great time.

• jonny likes this

#1636 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

I really would like to go to Whitehorse. Hadn't thought about renting a car, though.

#1637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

I really would like to go to Whitehorse. Hadn't thought about renting a car, though.

We had 13 hours in port at Skagway and as I said it was an easy day trip to Whitehorse. If you do consider this, I would recommend reserving a car in advance. IIRC there are limited rental options in Skagway.

#1638 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

I don't remember how many hours we have, but there is enough time for a bus tour to Whitehorse and back because that is one of the excursions offered.

#1639 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

I don't remember how many hours we have, but there is enough time for a bus tour to Whitehorse and back because that is one of the excursions offered.

You may be able to do it cheaper by car, especially if there are several of you splitting the cost. There were 6 of us in a mini-van and I don't recall it being terribly expensive.

#1640 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

If you are a train buff (I am admittedly, a huge one) then you really should do the White Pass & Yukon rail excursion. The 'basic' trip is 3.5 hours although there is a longer one taking you further into the Yukon that lasts a full eight hours. The scenery alone will fuse your brain circuits. If it doesn't then you need to check your pulse. You also have an option to take the train 'going' and bus back which might be ideal particularly considering the conditions replicate the experience of 1903, i.e. bench-seats and I don't mean the type found in first class on British Airways.....

That said if you require heart-pounding 'thrills, chills and spills' as part of your vacation experience then this option isn't for you. This is about the scenery first and foremost, and then the history of both the region and the train itself, in that order.Typically BTW there is no food offering so you need to fuel up prior to departing. Which cruise line are you on Jonny?

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users