Photo

[Marine] Victoria cruise ship industry | Breakwater District/Ogden Point | News / issues

• Please log in to reply
3308 replies to this topic

#1581 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

And if there is a need to supply it, the supply chain will increase to accommodate it. And if more stuff is coming to the island to stock cruise ships then maybe the extra volume can reduce some cost for stuff.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1582 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Also cruise ships buy and charge in US dollars. Buying in Canada can be a 30% discount. Volume could add up to a 40% discount, especially if the schedule abd provisions are known in advance, which they would be.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1583 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

but its already 50% cheaper or more in the US so is it really a discount..BC liquor stores sell items at an 80% markup

#1584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

I would assume that the mark-up cruise ships resell their liquor for would make it all work out in the end.

You can make $125 profit off of a $25 bottle of liquor, fwiw.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1585 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

^Not if you tick the "all you can drink" option box.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1586 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

Wont work for many reasons but here are 2 good ones.

Lisa Helps really does need Help climbing down out of the clouds she is floating around on.

1 There are not enough hotel rooms for passengers to stay at before and after the cruise.

2 Provisioning the ships would be a joke especially when it comes to loading up on booze.Why in the world would they do that in Canada (BC) which is probably the most expensive country on the planet to purchase alcohol beverages

Also most passengers would have to connect through either Vancouver or Seattle to get to Victoria adding unnecessary costs to their travel.

What got me though was the caveat that US customs would have to open a pre-screening facility at Ogden Point. That I will not hold my breathe for.

Edited by spanky123, 23 March 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#1587 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

That's the problem ^. One extra flight both ways. It's why it'll never work. Why would operators put their guests through that pain?

A smarter way might have Vancouver departures stop here on the way back and give travellers the option of ending here. I'm not sure what that would mean for customs.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1588 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

...A smarter way might have Vancouver departures stop here on the way back and give travellers the option of ending here. I'm not sure what that would mean for customs.

That already happens on some of repositioning cruises. In fact, I did it myself on a cruise back from Hawaii in 2003. About 50 of us optioned to leave the ship in Victoria before it carried on to its final port in Vancouver the next morning. Customs agents cleared us at Ogden Point.

#1589 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Not so simple to do VHF. Stopping in Victoria on the way back to Vancouver would be a major move for the cruise lines, pretty much adding a day on to an itinerary. I don't think they would ever consider that. And I wonder Nparker do some people on the regular runs disembark in Victoria rather than continue to Seattle for the final stop? Does customs provide the staff?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1590 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

...And I wonder Nparker do some people on the regular runs disembark in Victoria rather than continue to Seattle for the final stop? Does customs provide the staff?

I have no idea if that happens on the Seattle-based cruises, but I know it's relatively common on the itineraries where Victoria is the penultimate port before formal disembarkation in Vancouver.

#1591 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

Not so simple to do VHF. Stopping in Victoria on the way back to Vancouver would be a major move for the cruise lines, pretty much adding a day on to an itinerary. I don't think they would ever consider that. And I wonder Nparker do some people on the regular runs disembark in Victoria rather than continue to Seattle for the final stop? Does customs provide the staff?

I have had friends that have done that last year, with advance notice.  So it can be done.

I'm not sure it would add a day, HM.  The Seattle trips stop here, and they are also one-weekers, same as Vancouver trips.  And they leave here at midnight, and basically drift to Seattle in a leisurely 7 hours.  Vancouver ones could do the same.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1592 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Get off at Ogden Point, head over to the V2V dock and get to Vancouver a bit sooner.

#1593 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Get off at Ogden Point, head over to the V2V dock and get to Vancouver a bit sooner.

But a whole lot poorer and likely sea sick.

#1594 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

but its already 50% cheaper or more in the US so is it really a discount..BC liquor stores sell items at an 80% markup

They can buy booze in the US in bond and lots of it, no lack of storage space for booze on big ships.

#1595 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I've been thinking of doing a cruise and getting off in Victoria sometime. If the Vancouver ones did that, I'd much sooner lean towards one of those over one going from Seattle, but they don't, other than a few very rare exceptions. Might do similar to what NParker did, and do a Hawaii cruise or something that goes to Vancouver, stopping in Victoria. Just so nice to step off the ship, and you're home, no other travel required. No flight, ferry etc. how much more relaxed could you be.

#1596 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

...Might do similar to what NParker did, and do a Hawaii cruise or something that goes to Vancouver, stopping in Victoria. Just so nice to step off the ship, and you're home, no other travel required. No flight, ferry etc. how much more relaxed could you be.

Initially, my friends and I had not planned on disembarking in Victoria (or even knew that we could), but on the trip back from Hawaii we ran into a significant storm that delayed our arrival in Victoria by about 6 hours. In the end it worked out well for us, because we were able to have one last dinner aboard the ship, leisurely collect our luggage and be back sleeping in our own beds at a reasonable hour.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#1597 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

The season starts this Monday with the noon arrival of the Star Princess from LA. She's destined for Vancouver.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1598 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

It’s an event like no one in Victoria has seen before -- home runs, being hit into the ocean. Splash hits that will mark the opening of the Baseball Canada Men’s Championship in the B.C. capital.

On the evening of Wednesday, August 23, some of the best power hitters from across Canada will be representing their provinces, hitting batting practice pitches for home runs into the water between the cruise ship piers. The event is sponsored by Victoria Mobile Radio, in partnership with the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, and with charitable proceeds going to the B.C. Children’s Hospital Foundation.

“This is something that has been done in a few places before, but never in Canada that we’re aware of, and we’re excited for how this will really help us make a big splash, pardon the pun, for the start of the men’s national tournament,” said Chair Gary Beyer.

“Ten home run hitters, hitting towering blasts over the home run line, to be declared the best home run hitter in Canada -- it will be a lot of fun and it will be a unique event that Victoria can really get excited about.”

The “Harbour Derby with Victoria Mobile Radio” will be free to the public, with White Spot supplying food options. Kayakers will be in the water retrieving all the baseballs.

#1599 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

Those poor seals. A few months after losing their freebie food source, they start learning how to hunt in the wild again, and then BAM! A bunch of ballplayers start socking dingers their way.

Tough 2017 for those seals.

#1600 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

What red-blooded seal wouldn't enjoy a sockeye dinner?

• shoeflack likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users