Photo

Victoria Rapid Transit Project - CRD/BC Transit - Light Rail (LRT) has been recommended

• Please log in to reply
1311 replies to this topic

#1101 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if they decided BRT, even though rail (LRT/Tram) was heavily favoured by the public.

that will probably be the case, find out what the people want and then give them what they don't want :confused:

#1102 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Dito on that comment

#1103 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Asking preference of LRT versus BRT in absence of much of the data made no sense. It is like asking would you prefer ice cream or broccoli.

The proposed LRT would cost $1,000,000,000 to build and then cost a lot more to operate than the buses it would replace
It does nothing to improve the primary transit bottlenecks in the region - that being getting to UVic.
The current bus service has a higher capacity than the LRT could in theory have
For most transit users it will be slower than the status quo.

Based on these issues, would you prefer LRT over BRT?

Look over to Vancouver and look at the success of the 99B line - the busiest bus route in North America. It would cost very little to replicate that in part over here

#1104 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Asking preference of LRT versus BRT in absence of much of the data made no sense. It is like asking would you prefer ice cream or broccoli.

The proposed LRT would cost $1,000,000,000 to build and then cost a lot more to operate than the buses it would replace
It does nothing to improve the primary transit bottlenecks in the region - that being getting to UVic.
The current bus service has a higher capacity than the LRT could in theory have
For most transit users it will be slower than the status quo.

Based on these issues, would you prefer LRT over BRT?

After having thought about it and putting aside my personal preference for LRT, I think BRT makes more sense for Victoria. Our population can't really afford nor does it need this type of transportation yet. I grew up in the George Jetson era so I envisioned all sorts of cool things for my hometown. Maybe when I am 90 which will be in 2053 we will be ready for that.:thumbsup:

#1105 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

The simple plan: Mckenzie overpass + HOV lanes north and south on HWY 1. Solves 90% of the issues. No more studies just get it done!

#1106 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

The simple plan: Mckenzie overpass + HOV lanes north and south on HWY 1. Solves 90% of the issues. No more studies just get it done!

A McKenzie overpass will not solve 90% of the issues. To effectively solve the issue, you'd also need efficiencies at Tillicum and at Saanich/Boleskine (removing the at-grade intersections and putting in partial or full controlled access points) to help increase the efficiency of traffic flow through the corridor. By putting an interchange in at McKenzie, all you do is push the problem 800 metres back into town.

Now, I agree with the HOV concept as one step in fixing the crawl but the overpass is not the magic cure-all that people, who have been trying to argue this for years, say it is.

It'll be more effective to encourage people to get out of their cars by providing a reliable and speedy alternative to getting between downtown and the Western Communities, and that's where the LRT comes into play. Rapid bus is an acceptable second choice, given the right frequency of service and improvements to the TCH to support it (dedicated lanes, reducing the impact of at-grade intersections on travel times, separated signalling, etc).
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

It'll be more effective to encourage people to get out of their cars by providing a reliable and speedy alternative to getting between downtown and the Western Communities, and that's where the LRT comes into play.

I disagree. The traffic that now comes in and sits in the crawl is OK with it (or at least accepting of it, it keeps growing in popularity). Make it easier/faster and more people will just want to come in.

Bernard is right, BRT is the best. 54,000 per day on the 99B can't be wrong.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

An interchange at McKenzie isn't so much about alleviating traffic coming to/from downtown Victoria via highway 1, it should be seen as more of a connection point between the region's two highways. McKenzie needs to have an interchange at highway 1 just as it has an overpass at highway 17 (traffic there doesn't warrant a full-on interchange).

Putting an overpass in at Admirals will just push the congestion onto Saanich Road but at the very least traffic heading out of Victoria during the afternoon rush will move faster. Currently the Admirals and McKenzie intersections are the two biggest bottlenecks along Douglas/highway 1.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1109 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

^Aren't Admirals and Mackenzie the same intersection?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1110 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Holy crap DelsterX makes a surprise appearance:banana:
  • DelsterX likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1111 SidneyTransitFan

SidneyTransitFan
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSidney, BC

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hey, first post here. *shyly waves*

Anyways things have gone pretty quiet on the Rapid Transit front. BC Transit has actually removed the Rapid Transit Project from its website, clicking the link only reveals a "Error Occurred while Processing Request". Not to mention this thread has been inactive for a while too.

The last I'd heard BC Transit is considering a realignment of the routes to have the Peninsula/West shore routes run out of Uptown instead of Downtown, while using frequent transit between those two points - similar to how TransLink used to have an occasional 620 express go as close to Downtown from Tsawwassen and the suburban routes went to Downtown from the far reaches of Ladner, Scottsdale and White Rock, and now Bridgeport Station is the hub for all suburban services and the Tsawwassen Ferry route.

As for the Colwood Crawl discussion I agree that the McKenzie overpass will not be the 'magic fix' that lots make it out to be, but it would help alleviate the congestion that builds up along that stretch of Hwy 1 between Tillicum and McKenzie.
There are many more places that the Colwood Crawl actually occurs though. Firstly in Colwood/View Royal, the old Island Hwy. Secondly (the most notorious bottleneck for Saanich residents), is the Interurban/Wilkinson five-way interchange. Traffic is frequently backed up from the south and east and occasionally from the west and north too at this location.

With the surging popularity of the West shore the crawl will only get worse in every location, but Hwy 1 seems to get the most attention as it's the one most used by commuters (it's the closest thing to a freeway we're ever likely to have going out there).

Anyway, I'll leave this as it be for the time being.

• Mike K. likes this

#1112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

You're right, the project info that used to be on the website is now gone. There are only mentions to transit priority corridors.

I'm hoping BCT can respond to a tweet we sent out and clarify whether the project has been sidelined or if new info will be posted in the near future to BCT's website.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1113 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hey, first post here. *shyly waves*

Anyways things have gone pretty quiet on the Rapid Transit front. BC Transit has actually removed the Rapid Transit Project from its website, clicking the link only reveals a "Error Occurred while Processing Request". Not to mention this thread has been inactive for a while too.

Nope, this still there: http://www.bctransit...testupdates.cfm

#1114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

But STF is right, the big images and easy access to project info are gone. Perhaps since its not as high a priority any more it's been removed rather than to have a fairly static web page.

The focus now is clearly "transit priority" and no longer "rapid transit," as was the case for many years.

Know it all.

#1115 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

But STF is right, the big images and easy access to project info are gone. Perhaps since its not as high a priority any more it's been removed rather than to have a fairly static web page.

The focus now is clearly "transit priority" and no longer "rapid transit," as was the case for many years.

True, but the transit prioritization work is directly related to the Transit Future and Victoria Regional Rapid Transit Projects, as setting the stage for them.

#1116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Yup for sure. I'm glad that we're not barreling down the path of LRT right now. That would have been one costly and underused system for many, many years. The transit priority stuff though I can really get behind.

Know it all.

#1117 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Douglas St priority lanes will open Monday June 9.

From the City Media Release

Priority Transit and Cycling Lanes to Open June 9

June 2, 2014

The first phase of Douglas Street Priority Transit and Cycling Lanes will officially open on Monday June 9.

Transit and cycling priority lanes will run from Fisgard Street to Hillside Avenue Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. southbound and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. northbound. Parking will be permitted along Douglas Street during off-peak hours.

Bus%20Lanes%20image.JPG

The priority lanes are designed to shorten travel times for transit customers, increase the reliability of public transit and reduce harmful greenhouse gases by limiting idling and reducing the number of vehicles on the road.

Recent improvements along the Douglas Street corridor to support the new priority lanes include upgraded transit zones with improved access for people getting on and off the bus, a new pedestrian signal at Douglas and Pembroke Streets and the addition of new accessible curb for pedestrians at intersections.

Bus%20lane%20image%202.JPG

A second phase of the project will create a northbound priority lane from Hillside Avenue to Tolmie Avenue. Construction is expected to begin in early 2015. The Victoria Regional Transit Commission and BC Transit are funding the $1.5 million dollars that is required to complete Phase 1 and Phase 2.

For more information on the project please visit www.bctransit.com/transitfuture/vrptc_latestupdates.cfm

Edited by Linear Thinker, 06 June 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#1118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Huh, well that's a change from before where they said it would be both sides, both rush times.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

The priority lanes are designed to shorten travel times for transit customers, increase the reliability of public transit and reduce harmful greenhouse gases by limiting idling and reducing the number of vehicles on the road.

Wake me up when we get there.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#1120 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hello Dean. If you want to reduce idling, go back to a roundabout at Hillside and Douglas.

• sebberry likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users