Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1893 replies to this topic

#761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

...there are first nations title issues with all properties in Canada and ultimately that baristas need a cheap place to live...

Comrade Isitt couldn't be more of a fool if he wore a harlequin suit and a 3-pointed had with bells on it.

fool-2.jpg

#762 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure your second comparison is similar. Nobody will be told they have to rent their condos.

You can buy an investment unit and let it sit empty.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

...You can buy an investment unit and let it sit empty.

Not for long probably...

#764 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Which is fine. The people who buy into those developments will know this in advance of purchasing. Retroactively imposing it on existing stratas is an entirely different matter. Some people may have specifically bought into buildings because they have rental restrictions. Will these stratas be forced to change their bylaws?

Again, I have to ask, why should these rules be applied only on strata properties? Why aren't all property owners being told "you must allow rentals"?

Ask Marko how many clients he's helped find places specifically with rental restrictions/prohibitions. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#765 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Ask Marko how many clients he's helped find places specifically with rental restrictions/prohibitions. 

I am not trying to suggest stratas with rental restrictions should be the norm, I only want to stress that it should NOT be the business of the CoV council to meddle in provincial legislation. The CoV has the power to prevent any and all future developments in Victoria from implementing rental restrictions. There is zero need to overstep their municipal function.

#766 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

I've had a number of clients who wanted buildings with no pets and/or no kids and/or no rentals and/or no BBQs and/or no smoking.  Never had anyone specifically looking for no parking though.  Many who have lived with there being no parking, but I've never had anyone who sought it out.

• Nparker likes this

#767 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

I've had a number of clients who wanted buildings with no pets and/or no kids and/or no rentals and/or no BBQs and/or no smoking.  

If you have anyone seeking all of the above, I'll gladly sell them my place.  Well, you can smoke your brains out here.  Probably explains all the other restrictions. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#768 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

If you have anyone seeking all of the above, I'll gladly sell them my place.  Well, you can smoke your brains out here.  Probably explains all the other restrictions. 

Sounds like a super duper fun place.  Everyone get their own clip board and whistle?

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#769 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Sounds like a super duper fun place.  Everyone get their own clip board and whistle?

You should see the binders full of notes some people have from madly documenting everything that goes on.

#770 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

I suspect the conversation at the committee table mirrored this lack of expertise in the subject, but I'll have to wait for the webcast to come out.

As of now, it's AWOL.  Got wiped off the coming soon portion of the website yesterday, and has not appeared in the completed/ready to view section, although last night's has.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#771 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

You should see the binders full of notes some people have from madly documenting everything that goes on.

It's nice to have a hobby I suppose.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#772 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

It's nice to have a hobby I suppose.

They could kill two birds with one stone though, and then some.  Take the binder to the park, and help the birding society with counts etc.  And every minute you spend away from the condo, less stuff to document at home.  Seems like a real stress relief.  Win/win.

#773 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

I have been reading about Councillor Isitt wanting to abolish the democratic choice that a strata council currently enjoys regarding whether or not a particular complex should or should not allow long term rentals. 

I am not much of a fan of removing democratic freedoms, especially when removing that freedom favours one part of society over another. The housing crisis in the city of Victoria will be upon us forever. The affordable housing crisis will never be solved in Victoria or any other city where demand exceeds supply. The world is changing. Political interference with the natural balance of supply and demand is fraught with peril. Political interference with the rights and freedoms of citizens is deadly.

I would rather see our city council focus on the condition of the roads.

Edited by Arnold, 16 July 2017 - 06:30 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker, rjag and 4 others like this

#774 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

I more or less think you are right. Just like the "housing crisis" will never be solved in Oak Bay 0r Rockland, Broadmead or North Saanich. Or Beverley Hills or British Properties.

It's just moved a bit. You can't really fight that.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 July 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#775 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

More than 20 per cent of property owners responding to a recent survey in Vancouver cited rental restrictions imposed by strata councils as the reason why their condominium units were sitting vacant, Isitt noted.

http://www.timescolo...tals-1.21179702

Folks that are renting an apartment are not allowed to sub-let their unit, so why look to condo owner to fill up the housing shortage, when what needs to happen is to build more rental apartment blocks.

#776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

I notice that Comrade Isitt doesn't state the source of the "recent survey". Is it as accurate as the homeless counts?

#777 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

More than 20 per cent of property owners responding to a recent survey in Vancouver cited rental restrictions imposed by strata councils as the reason why their condominium units were sitting vacant, Isitt noted.

But did that survey indicate if those 20% of owners actually wanted to rent out their condo? Or was it simply a response as to why the condo is vacant....maybe they want it that way and use it a few weeks a year.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#778 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

I would like to read the question on the survey.
  • Nparker likes this

#779 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

http://vancouver.ca/...condo-stock.pdf

#780 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

December 2009. Surely the good comrade is referring to more current data.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users