BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:32 AM

Ah, my bad. My brain lapsed for a second there and combined Hudson with its original marketing name of Uptown. Oops.
  • Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#182 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Busy, but not ready for the Christmas shopping season

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

The pile in the center of the photo is down 20 metres.

IMG_5155.jpg

Oh my!  The clock has stopped again.

IMG_5156.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#183 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

Still stopped

IMG_5501.JPG

#184 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

New underground parking ramp off Douglas next to existing one.

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

#185 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

^Yeah cause Douglas is getting yet another traffic light
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#186 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

i wondered about that too

#187 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

Yep... new traffic light at Speed. That why they are realigning the entrance to the underground.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#188 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

The former Baker Brick and Tile brickyard was there.

Here is what the site looked like in 1951....

i-02364_141.jpg

http://search-bcarch...street-victoria

Edited by On the Level, 07 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#189 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Worth a drive by to look at I did not have time to take a picture but it is very stripped back now. 

What happened to the gas station remnants? Were the under ground tanks removed a long time ago or just now ?. They had the do not fill caps through out the parking lot until now when it was dug up. 

#190 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Douglas at Finlayson

20170616_083353.jpg

#191 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

My great aunt and uncle lived on Speed Avenue from the late 1950s until about 1972. She used to dash across Douglas St. to Woodwards grocery section. Wish we could still get those delicious donuts they had. Grocery section was very good. They even had chocolate-covered ants, lol.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#192 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

^ The food floor manager was a fellow named Laurie Tedder. He played fastball on the Herb Bates ball team. After paying for your groceries you would get a ticket so you could drive up to the west side of the building where Bobby Reid would grab your stuff off of the conveyor rack and put them in your trunk.

Groceries averaged $8 per bag. Douglas street was easy to cross on foot. There was no Colwood crawl yet.

I missed the brickyard where we used to go on Saturdays to shoot salamanders with our slingshots.
  • AllseeingEye and johnk like this

#193 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Ya, the bag pick-up line was unique.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#194 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

^ The food floor manager was a fellow named Laurie Tedder. He played fastball on the Herb Bates ball team. After paying for your groceries you would get a ticket so you could drive up to the west side of the building where Bobby Reid would grab your stuff off of the conveyor rack and put them in your trunk.

Groceries averaged $8 per bag. Douglas street was easy to cross on foot. There was no Colwood crawl yet.

I missed the brickyard where we used to go on Saturdays to shoot salamanders with our slingshots.

Woodward's was a great place to work (I worked there from 1978-82) and at the time considering it was "retail" was actually one of more highly regarded employers in Victoria. You could make a very good living there particularly if you got into management.

When I got to Sporting Goods & Ski Shop in November 1978 one of their staff had recently been elevated to the position of department Buyer. The rampant jaw-dropping rumor making the rounds was that he was making $50K - possibly more! The thought you could make that kind of coin for travelling around and buying baseball bats and fishing rods for a living was scarcely believable....

And the underground conveyor system was something to behold; it was like a whole other world below the store with multiple levels of conveyors moving everything from groceries to sleeping bags. To the best of my recollection it never broke down either at least during my tenure there. Oh and we had the most excellent staff & Christmas parties - and a completely gonzo intra-store softball tournament each year in Penticton. Good memories.....

#195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

...the underground conveyor system was something to behold; it was like a whole other world below the store with multiple levels of conveyors moving everything from groceries to sleeping bags...

Does anything remain of this below the existing Mayfair structures?

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#196 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:59 PM

Ya, the bag pick-up line was unique.

I seem to recall just helping yourself to the paper bag box that arrived out of the door with the flaps, often got more than I paid for. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#197 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

I can't say as of today. In 1989 - I came back for a brief cameo at WW's for that winter of '89-90 working in the Ski Shop exclusively - the system was still there, right up until the Bay took over shortly thereafter. Have to presume if it's still there in some form its been seriously upgraded since then. It was extremely efficient in moving large volumes of stock from one area of the building to another so I can't see why it wouldn't still be there in some form.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#198 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Okay then, VV TOUR!!!!
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,682 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Does anyone else think that since this mall has pretty much been entirely rebuilt since 1963 (and continues to be transformed to this day), perhaps the title of this thread needs some tweaking?

#200 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Well I just moved into the neighborhood so hopefully they drop a large liquor outlet in there as the selection at the Red Lion is too small and getting in and out of Uptown is more trouble than it's worth.. :thumbsup:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users