BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#201 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

It was originally called Mayfair Shopping Centre  now Its called mayfair mall and it was built in 63 everyone knows where it is and what the subject matter is on this page.

I liked those twirly things on poles in the parking lit that used to be there

#202 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

It was originally called Mayfair Shopping Centre  now Its called mayfair mall and it was built in 63 everyone knows where it is and what the subject matter is on this page.

I liked those twirly things on poles in the parking lit that used to be there

Did you get that backwards, was it originally Mayfair Mall officially? Today it is officially Mayfair Shopping Centre (eg. see their website). Standard nomenclature by patrons probably calls it either. No one really gets confused anyways

• Nparker likes this

#203 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

yes im drunk right now

#204 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

yes im drunk right now

I agree with our great and fearless gambling leader. take a break

• sdwright.vic likes this

#205 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

Daily Colonist, Oct. 16 1963

Lord and Lady Grosvenor will open the $6,000,000 Mayfair shopping centre containing Woodward's department store and 26 specialty shops, in a ceremony at 10 a.m. today.

• sebberry likes this

#206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

That's $47,651,052.63 in 2017 money.

#207 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Mayfair Shopping Centre Mall Expansion Renovation Project -Victoria - British Columbia - Canada...eh!

IMG_7143.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#208 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

At the west side of Mayfair Mall they are adding a 100,000 squarefoot expansion.

On the east side of the Mall one of the anchor stores could be closing, freeing up even more space.

One has to ask if the timing of the Mayfair expansion was poorly planned?

Toys “R” Us has filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States, and plans to do the same in Canada — but it’s assuring customers that things won’t change.

The iconic toy store company, which also operates Babies “R” Us, filed Chapter 11 documents Monday at a U.S. bankruptcy court.

Its Canadian subsidiary also sought creditor protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice

https://globalnews.c...n-what-to-know/

Across town the Hillside Mall has an expansion space that is not filled, and Sears could fade away in the near future.

The industry is grappling with the relentless onslaught of Amazon and Alibaba, excess retail space, the retreat of department-store mall anchors and intense price competition.

Meanwhile, consumers are shifting their spending from things to experiences, including entertainment and dining-out.

https://beta.theglob...obeandmail.com

#209 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:31 AM

A Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth would take up a large portion of the expansion. As for Toys R Us... I would move and expand the food court into that space and turn the old food court into smaller retail space.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#210 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

I went through Toys R Us the other day. It's in good shape, there is no sign of any issues in the store (compared to Sears at Hillside, which is a sad shadow of its former self).

My understanding is Toys R Us is restructuring their debt problem. I think they'll come out of this fine - but I still think they need to be aggressively working on their online platform.

• jonny and Midnightly like this

#211 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

A Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth would take up a large portion of the expansion. As for Toys R Us... I would move and expand the food court into that space and turn the old food court into smaller retail space.

The food court is already a distance from the new expansion, so it needs to go further to the west if they were to relocate it, instead of further way into the Toys R Us space.

#212 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

The food court is already a distance from the new expansion, so it needs to go further to the west if they were to relocate it...

Why? People can't walk a few extra metres to get their fast food fix?

#213 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

I thought there was going to be a restaurant on the Douglas Street side? Did I imagine that?

#214 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

I thought there was going to be a restaurant on the Douglas Street side? Did I imagine that?

If this place doesn't have a Cactus Club, Earls or something similar (not Brown's) after this reno, I am going to be disappointed. 

• Nparker likes this

#215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

If this place doesn't have a Cactus Club, Earls or something similar (not Brown's) after this reno, I am going to be disappointed. 

I agree. Mayfair (and Hillside for that matter) needs a decent sit down restaurant.

• jonny likes this

#216 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yes a restaurant was one of the things the expansion indicated there would be space for. Hillside lost any usable restaurant space to the BCAA office and Scotia. A mall restaurant need outside entrance, and no spaces in the expansion offer that
  • jonny likes this

#217 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Mayfair (and Hillside for that matter) needs a decent sit down restaurant.

Standing while eating at a restaurant is not my thing, and my first observation when entering would be where are the chairs.

#218 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Is this the Douglas Street side? There seems to be a restaurant indicated here in the middle, but I'm not sure how pleasant sitting on that patio will be with traffic so close by

2017-09-26 16_06_42-Updated_ Mayfair Shopping Centre expansion plans revealed _ Citified.ca.png

• Nparker likes this

#219 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

^ yes that is the Douglas St frontage.

#220 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Douglas Street Frontage

IMG_8638.JPG

Entrance and exit to lower parking

IMG_8639.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users