BUILT
Mayfair Shopping Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 3147 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Mayfair Shopping Centre in the City of Victoria was expanded by 100,000 square feet in 2018 as part of a high-... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mayfair Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria] Mayfair Shopping Centre | Built in 1963 | Expansion completed in 2018

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#321 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

I noticed when going by Mayfair today there's signs in the windows for the store on the corner of Finlayson and Douglas saying "Indigo coming late fall 2018". Interesting they used Indigo and no mention of "Chapters". I imagine most people who shop there are aware they're the same company though.

#322 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

I noticed when going by Mayfair today there's signs in the windows for the store on the corner of Finlayson and Douglas saying "Indigo coming late fall 2018". Interesting they used Indigo and no mention of "Chapters". I imagine most people who shop there are aware they're the same company though.

Chapters is being phased out completely as a brand, if I remember correctly

• SgtNeonPanda likes this

#323 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Chapters is being phased out completely as a brand, if I remember correctly

Interesting. Most people I know call the brand itself Chapters. Will they be doing the same thing with Coles?

#324 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

I wish they would just confirm the apple store rumour already. 

#325 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Interesting. Most people I know call the brand itself Chapters. Will they be doing the same thing with Coles?

I'm amazed the outlet in Tillicum is still branded a Coles. 

#326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'm amazed the outlet in Tillicum is still branded a Coles. 

I'm even more amazed that it is still open.

#327 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

And they still sell Coles Notes! Truly The Mall That Time Forgot.

0774032227.jpg

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 June 2018 - 03:10 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#328 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

Some new details about Toys R Us Canada have been revealed following acquisition by a Canadian company. The new company is refreshing the stores and hopes follow Indigo's model: more in-store events, new play and seating areas, rent-able event space, and possible food and beverage partner. Langley is the first in BC to be renovated.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#329 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

Wow, people shop in stores still?  Way better selection and prices online with free shipping right to my door.

#330 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

Shipping is a major PITA if you work in an office or have a life and aren't home all that often or live in a condo. I despise having to go pick a package up from the post office. I really, really hate it.

If you are unlucky enough to order from FedEx their pick-up location is very conveniently located out in the Saanich Peninsula boonies and their hours are something like Monday to Friday 9am-4pm. Super convenient. UPS isn't much better.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#331 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

Wow, people shop in stores still?  Way better selection and prices online with free shipping right to my door.

Canadian brick and mortar retail was up 6.5% in 2017, so yes, people do shop in stores still.

#332 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Chapters is super slow with shipping I find. They also regularly break street dates in store so when I'm in school I frequently just stay on the 4 until I'm there then pop in and see if anything interesting is there. I know Amazon is faster but I'd rather my money go to Canadian companies when possible. Plus as jonny mentioned if you aren't home either you have to go pick it up or there's been this company I've had Amazon ship with called "dynamex" or something that just knock and leave so if I'm not there the package is on the doorstep all day and if I got a book I don't want that sitting in the wind and rain of November.

#333 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

^^^I would also add that if you need to purchase some piece of obscure gear that is only available from a US seller AND you decide to return it, well, getting your Canadian taxes and duties back is even a bigger PITA.

I recently bought some gear from B&H that I subsequently returned.  The B&H part was smooth, they promptly refunded my money - I highly recommend these guys.

TIP:  If a US vendor offers pre-paid taxes and duties use it.  If you have to do a return then the vendor will refund this portion as well as your purchase.  Unfortunately, not all products qualify which means it's a COD order and you owe the taxes/duties to the carrier.

Getting the taxes and duties back on a return means you have to file a B2G form, with supporting documents by mail, including customs receipts, proof of initial shipment, proof of return etc. with the nearest Casual Refund Centre of the CBSA.  The operative word here is "casual", it has been two weeks and I'm still waiting for a refund check.  

Edited by Gary H, 10 July 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#334 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

Shipping is a major PITA if you work in an office or have a life and aren't home all that often or live in a condo. I despise having to go pick a package up from the post office. I really, really hate it...

It's funny you should mention this. I am actually waiting on a UPS delivery today. I have had to beg a friend to hang out at my place this afternoon so that I hopefully avoid the parcel underworld to which my delivery will be consigned if no one is there to receive it today.

#335 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

I've never had a problem and so many things are way cheaper online.  I think I saved $3000 alone on my home theater equipment.  Even my new boat fridge was half price online compared to the local store.  Heck I can't remember buying things at brick and mortar store besides Costco, grocery store, my barber, the bank, and a few other stores.

I can't remember the last time I was in a mall.  Customer service is pathetic with long lines in the stores which I absolutely despise

#336 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Evening delivery = the greatest technological hurdle in human history.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#337 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

I've never had a problem and so many things are way cheaper online. I think I saved $3000 alone on my home theater equipment. Even my new boat fridge was half price online compared to the local store. Heck I can't remember buying things at brick and mortar store besides Costco, grocery store, my barber, the bank, and a few other stores.

I can't remember the last time I was in a mall. Customer service is pathetic with long lines in the stores which I absolutely despise

"People still shop in stores?!?"
"Damn long lines!!"

😕
  • jonny and sdwright.vic like this

#338 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

It's funny you should mention this. I am actually waiting on a UPS delivery today. I have had to beg a friend to hang out at my place this afternoon so that I hopefully avoid the parcel underworld to which my delivery will be consigned if no one is there to receive it today.

The best is when they try to deliver three days in a row at precisely the same time of day. And then you can't pick it up until the following Monday because it apparently takes one day to process and they aren't open on weekends. 

Evening delivery = the greatest technological hurdle in human history.

No kidding. 

Edited by jonny, 10 July 2018 - 12:51 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

Can’t you setup a local post office to accept shipments on your behalf?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Can’t you setup a local post office to accept shipments on your behalf?

I don't think all courier companies will deliver to post offices, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Here's the Canada Post info re "Flex Delivery"

Edited by Nparker, 10 July 2018 - 02:03 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users