Photo

Bengal Lounge

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Looking for the different names the place had, mainly.  Also wondered if it had been a speakeasy in its earlier days....there must be lots of stories out there, but with not much online help from the Empress, thought I would ask the locals.  I'm a local 'History Buff' too. :) 

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

I'm a local 'History Buff' too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs

#23 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

My main recollection of Tiffany's is the p**** who stole my prized black leather jacket from the coat check during my one and only time there, circa ~ 1979. It was a classic disco setup both in decor (lots of mirrors and 'yes' there was a big bright shiny spinning disco ball hanging from the ceiling) and music which stands to reason given the era. When I worked p/t at the hotel from '83-85 that space had been re-purposed from a club to another banquet room if memory serves. During my time at the hotel I don't ever remember "Tiffany's" being discussed, referenced or otherwise referred to by name. It pretty much disappeared from the history of the hotel with more of a whimper than a bang.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

...It pretty much disappeared from the history of the hotel with more of a whimper than a bang.

Alas, so did pretty much everything else from the era of disco. A highly underappreciated musical form if you ask me.

#25 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

I used to go to the lost and found charity auction they held every year. Picked up a really nice leather jacket. Still wear it today.

• Mike K. and sdwright.vic like this

#26 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Nothing like recollections from someone who was actually there,  thanks AllseeingEye.  much appreciated.  Trying get some history online using "Empress" in the search engine makes a guy think they have cyber censors whose job is to keep the past quiet....unless it involves the Queen or something.  Clearly she and Philip never busted a move at the Paint Cellar during their visits.

#27 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

I used to go to the lost and found charity auction they held every year. Picked up a really nice leather jacket. Still wear it today.

I used to just swing by on Monday nights and say I think I left my black leather jacket there. There were plenty to choose from.
  • SimonH likes this

#28 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

I used to just swing by on Monday nights and say I think I left my black leather jacket there. There were plenty to choose from.

Well mine was a London Fog size 38" (bearing in mind it was my much slimmer 19 year old body wearing it); kudos to you Sparky if you can fit into that thing :). These days, 35 years of weightlifting, 100+ pounds and three leather jackets later, I can just squeeze into a 56" chest in the current one.

larrobb there is a retail shop in the hotel today (the name escapes me offhand) that sells a "History of.." the Empress Hotel book; you might want to peruse it to see if there are references to Tiffany's therein.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users