Photo

Tim Hortons in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#121 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

^ Thanks, Seb, that was the one I was meaning...forgot the one down by Cedar Hill!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#122 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

And before that was a movie store (Shooting Star?), it was an Arby's (or was it Harvey's?).

• Matt R. likes this

#123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

According to this listing it was Cinema Star Video.  I didn't think it was BlockBuster.

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

The one by K-Mart was built as an Arby's:

...Arby's big-box restaurant at University Heights proved too expensive to make it here, and the taste never really hit it off in Victoria...

Not sure what "big-box" means in this context (excerpted from a TC article, November 22, 2001).

#125 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

Cinema Star! Shooting Star is the name of the preschool on Portlandia.

#126 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Wasn't the one near Canadian Tire a "Muffin Break" at one time?

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#127 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

Muffin Break or Mmmarvellous Muffins?  We had MM here, not sure about Muffin Break.

I don't remember it being Arby's.  When was it that?  I only remember the video store.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#128 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

Arby's in the mid-80s.

I think Victoria had some Muffin Break locations, although I don't remember one being in that particular spot. A friend of mine worked at what I thought was a Muffin Break at Fort and Foul Bay (in the development that later housed a McDonald's) in the late 80s.

#129 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

The North Shelbourne Tim's is the drive-thru that Jack Knox's column refers too. And the blockbuster moved in after the Arby's closed (which was the original business in that location, I believe).

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

What was the muffin place on Fort at Douglas alongside the bus stop? Was that a Muffin Break?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

The North Shelbourne Tim's is the drive-thru that Jack Knox's column refers too. And the blockbuster moved in after the Arby's closed (which was the original business in that location, I believe).

Which column is that?

#132 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

^Knox's 2001 humour column on drive-thrus. It only mentioned in passing that a new Tims had opened on Shelbourne.

I do remember that Arby's being there. I recall it seemed something of a novelty as there weren't many US franchises at the time. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

Tim Horton's will be taking over the former Rogers store at Borden and McKenzie, according to a VV sleuth. After several years of no TH in the area this will be a welcome addition, no doubt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

Tim Horton's will be taking over the former Rogers store at Borden and McKenzie, according to a VV sleuth. After several years of no TH in the area this will be a welcome addition, no doubt.

This is sort of a homecoming for them is it not? Didn't they used to be in the same general vicinity a few years ago?

#135 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yes, they were across the road near the ICBC building. 

I wish they'd open one up near me.  There's one at Fort/Foul Bay Save-On, but they don't do sandwiches (conflict with the Save-on deli). 

#136 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

I could never see the logic of them closing that store, as it was always busy.

Now if they would bring back the garlic toast that used to come with a bowl of chili.

• AllseeingEye and Matt in Langford like this

#137 mikesevigny

mikesevigny
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

I wish they'd open one up near me.  There's one at Fort/Foul Bay Save-On, but they don't do sandwiches (conflict with the Save-on deli). 

There's always the hospital, although if you thought the wait times for surgery were bad...

#138 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

I would think the high school would be a big money maker - which is why it surprised me they closed a few years ago near the ICBC/Driver's License place.

Also what confounds me? That the Panago - RIGHT THERE - across the street from the high school - isn't open for lunchtime - they could just always have a few options available for the kids for cheap - they'd CLEAN UP. And give Alibaba;s in Saanich Centre a run for their money. Subway, as it is, cleans up because of their proximity to the high school.

I wonder how that Sampan Express is doing...

#139 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

I could never see the logic of them closing that store, as it was always busy.

Now if they would bring back the garlic toast that used to come with a bowl of chili.

You can always get your garlic toast fix at the airport TH's outlet Bingo, heh. Funny you mentioned that as I was saying to my wife the other day when dropping a friend off out there that Tim's' chili was really the only reason I ever frequent any of their locations. For "retail chili" it actually is quite good (and yes so is the garlic toast...).

• Bingo likes this

#140 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Speaking of airports...

Tim Hortons Execs Lose Their Gulfstream Jet Amid Cutbacks

There’s pain at Tim Hortons headquarters these days, with the company laying off some 350 people at headquarters and regional offices, in the wake of its merger with Burger King owner 3G Capital.

But the pain isn’t limited to the rank and file; the company’s top execs are going to have to cut back too, because the newly formed company is selling its executive jet.

Tim Hortons’ slick 2003 Gulfstream G100 that carted top Timmies execs to (presumably) meetings with Juan Valdez and coffee-tasting soirees has been put up for sale at an asking price of $3.5 million, according to J.A. Spears, the company selling the jet.

[...]

http://www.huffingto..._n_6655208.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users