The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

#461 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

lets not tell the authorities.  does anyone follow this beer site http://victoriabeers.com/

Ya, they do a good job of keeping that up...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#462 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

It's not illegal in Alberta, but it is here.

Here, you cannot not offer a discount to one person, that everyone is not eligible for.  I can't sell you beers for $4 on your birthday, and the next guy $5.25 because it's not his birthday.  I can't sell you beer for $4 in the afternoon and $5.25 at night.  I can't discount one beer brand, then have it "run out" before closing.

there is also a craft beer market in Vancouver

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#463 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Peter Austin obituary
Pioneer of the microbrewery, he successfully challenged the might of the Big Six beer makers

One rainswept day in 1978, I went to Ringwood in Hampshire to meet Peter Austin and encounter a new concept in beer making: a microbrewery. At that time, brewing was dominated by six giant national brewers, which were converting their pubs to keg beers and taking over and closing many of the remaining independent breweries.

It seemed unlikely that Peter Austin's tiny plant in a former bakery would dent the power of the Big Six. But Ringwood Brewery proved to be a catalyst. Camra – the Campaign for Real Ale – had been launched in 1971, its membership had soared and its beer festivals were packed.

Rebellion was in the air and Peter Austin, who has died aged 92, was ready to meet the challenge. When he eventually retired from Ringwood he helped set up some 40 new breweries in Britain over 10 years, a rate of one every three months. He then toured the world, repeating the exercise in countries as diverse as China, France, Nigeria, Russia and the US. In total, he built some 140 breweries in 17 countries.

His biggest impact was undoubtedly in the US, where 74 breweries were built using his brewing system. Alan Pugsley learnt brewing skills with Peter at Ringwood and emigrated to the US, where he helped set up the DL Geary Brewing Company in Portland, Maine, in 1986, one of the first new-wave American micros. Pugsley opened his own Shipyard brewery in Portland in 1992 and Peter gave him permission to brew Old Thumper under licence; he supplied a sample of the Ringwood yeast culture for authenticity. A new brewery using Peter's system will open this month at the Four Mile pub in Victoria, British Columbia.

Peter's impact on good beer is immeasurable. There are more than 2,000 craft breweries in the US, 1,200 in Britain, 150 in Australia, 70 in New Zealand and a growing number in Italy. Beer drinkers have never had greater choice – and much of that is due to him.

http://www.theguardi...09/peter-austin
  • Holden West likes this

#464 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

Liquor Plus' "Just Over A Buck A Beer" brand has undergone some changes. Gone are the old Kamloops brewer and the KB Draft label. The actual name on the beer is right on the can and it's now brewed by Big Surf in Kelowna. 

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#465 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Liquor Plus' "Just Over A Buck A Beer" brand has undergone some changes. Gone are the old Kamloops brewer and the KB Draft label. The actual name on the beer is right on the can and it's now brewed by Big Surf in Kelowna. 

Ah yes, Big Surf has the cheapest government-store 6-pack price at $7.54

http://www.bcliquors...ce asc&start=90

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#466 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Ah yes, Big Surf has the cheapest government-store 6-pack price at $7.54

http://www.bcliquors...ce asc&start=90

I actually experienced a shudder of revulsion as I read that.

Nice work.

:D

cakes.. (beer geek)

#467 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

Spinnakers at 30: How Canada’s first brewpub diversified to thrive, Part 1
May 15, 2014. 8:00 am • Section: Food

http://blogs.theprov...-thrive-part-1/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 15 May 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#468 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

part 2

http://blogs.theprov...-thrive-part-2/

#469 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

part 3
http://blogs.theprov...-thrive-part-3/

#470 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

part 4
http://blogs.theprov...-thrive-part-4/

#471 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

97397vicnewsGNG-FourMilebeers2PJune2514.

#472 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

This could also go in the food service comings and goings thread but The Drake will be opening on Pandora in Market Square. Named after the old Victoria Saloon that was nearby, it will focus on Pacific Northwest beers, many of which are not normally seen here. They will also serve a few select wines and local food.

• Mr Cook Street likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#473 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

This could also go in the food service comings and goings thread but The Drake will be opening on Pandora in Market Square. Named after the old Victoria Saloon that was nearby, it will focus on Pacific Northwest beers, many of which are not normally seen here. They will also serve a few select wines and local food.

Do you have more info, Holden?

#474 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

I don't know much except I believe they open in July as they're already hiring staff. It should be interesting to see their beer selection as they will have some from south of the border, brands we don't normally see here. Sounds like food and drinks of Cascadia is the theme.

#475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Oh oh, that's two Drakes is close proximity to one another.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

I don't know much except I believe they open in July as they're already hiring staff. It should be interesting to see their beer selection as they will have some from south of the border, brands we don't normally see here. Sounds like food and drinks of Cascadia is the theme.

Is is maybe just a conversion of the Solstice Cafe?  New liquor rules make it pretty easy to focus on beer now, although technically you are supposed to focus on being a restaurant.  It's very grey now.

Don't forget this...

http://www.solsticecafe.ca/staff

news
the future of solstice cafe

while solstice café has never had a particularly good year financially, 2013 was one of our worst ever, and it is time to make a serious decision about continuing to operate. we are told over and over, by many people, how important we are to the community, but unless sales improve significantly in 2014, we will cease to operate by the end of the year.
(winter solstice 2014 blowout party? …too soon?)

while sales of all products help our bottom line, it is coffee sales in particular that will have the most impact on our decision to continue operating. why coffee? while solstice café is many things to many people, and we provide a multitude of products, the love of coffee is the reason solstice opened in 2001. while our equipment, and our sourcing of coffee has changed over the years, solstice now roasts our own coffee, using top quality roasters, and sources our green beans from small farms where coffee is grown organically and farmers are paid higher than fair trade rates. we use top quality equipment behind the counter and we care about the coffees we serve.

if you wish for solstice café to continue beyond 2014, the solution is simple. buy your coffee here, and tell your friends to do the same. sales of other products will also play a role, but ultimately, it will be coffee sales that we base our final decision on.

at the end of june, 2014, should coffee sales not improve enough to justify continuing to operate, we will give 6 months notice to our landlord and cease operations by the end of the year. while this will be a very difficult and emotional decision to make, it is the only reasonable choice we are left with.

#477 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Oh oh, that's two Drakes is close proximity to one another.

Two? We must be talking about the same place. I believe it's the former "Four Horsemen" clothing store in Market Square, across from Swans.

#478 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

The Drake is a new place that Mike Spence is opening. will be a cool spot. its been in the making for a long time

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#479 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

The Drake is a new place that Mike Spence is opening. will be a cool spot. its been in the making for a long time

Ah, good intel OSJ.  Was Mike Spence somehow involved in Colwood Corners/Crossroads?

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Two? We must be talking about the same place. I believe it's the former "Four Horsemen" clothing store in Market Square, across from Swans.

I'm thinking of the Drake Saloon coming to the former Rehab nightclub.

It's called Drake isn't? I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users