Photo

The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#601 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

None of them are my favourite beers by far but they're open late and it's close to me.

#602 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Still fairly new, no? I thought I'd give them a couple years before I walk over, as it's maybe a 30 minute walk for me. What do they have, bottles and growlers only?

#603 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

Still fairly new, no? I thought I'd give them a couple years before I walk over, 

Sometimes a new brewery makes sensational beer right from the first batch.  Look at Category 12 for example.  Or Four Winds in Delta (the Vancouver list goes on and on). I find it odd that Caledonian hasn't had much traction, amongst my beer drinking circles anyhow.

• lanforod likes this

#604 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the info, but still looking for an answer as to whether there's a spot to lock up a bike. I could take the bus, but it would take longer.

#605 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info, but still looking for an answer as to whether there's a spot to lock up a bike. I could take the bus, but it would take longer.

Ya, there are railings and stuff around there.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-02-24-10-42-16.png

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#606 Ben

Ben
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

Has anyone tried the new coffee lager from Lighthouse? It's really good! 

They told me it doesn't keep long enough in a bottle so it will only be available on tap. 

#607 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

There are real racks around the side too I believe but I always left it at the door. You can see it.

#608 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Big rebrand launch party tomorrow at VIB. They contracted Scott Gurney (Culinaire, Brewery and the Beast, etc) to produce the launch party, invite only. That's gonna be a good party! I got the invite, can't make it!

Public after party at the Strath to follow later in the evening.

Matt.

#609 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

.....So I hopped back on my bike and filled up at Driftwood instead.

I stop by Driftwood (religiously) once a week on the way home from work to fill up my growler - always with Fat Tug, which (for me) is far and away the best beer I've ever tasted - and (logically) the best mega-hoppy IPA I've ever tasted.

So tasty!   :cheers:

• Mike K., Matt R., nagel and 1 other like this

#610 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Big rebrand launch party tomorrow at VIB. 

Tne new VI sign is very BIG and very BLUE. Certainly visible.

#611 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

What does everyone think of their new branding?  Personally i'm not a fan...  WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on Vancouver and very little on ISLAND. 

Maybe that's the strategy, they want to be known more as a Vancouver beer, not so much Victoria...

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.49.34 PM.png

#612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Big rebrand launch party tomorrow at VIB. They contracted Scott Gurney (Culinaire, Brewery and the Beast, etc) to produce the launch party, invite only. That's gonna be a good party! I got the invite, can't make it!

Public after party at the Strath to follow later in the evening.

Matt.

I think it's today:

https://www.facebook...istory":"null"}

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#613 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Oh yes, I didn't realize the time I posted. It's today.  :)

Matt.

#614 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

I think the new logo/branding is as dated and uninspired as their previous beer lineup.

Can't comment on any of the new stuff other than the 48 dark lager, which is just a rebranded Herman's Dark Lager, their only beer that I had found worthwhile. I'll give the new stuff a chance but don't have high hopes.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#615 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

weak. the old labels were infinitely better, especially pipers and sea dog. they look like everyone else now
  • Dietrich likes this

#616 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

It's actually pretty incredible what Victoria has fostered in the craft brewery scene ... for beer fans it's most definitely a city one can be extremely proud of.

It's kind of soothing knowing that you can pop by the brewery of your choice with growler in hand, and that the hose that's filling that precious growler goes straight through the wall and right into a freshly made tank of suds!

Edited by Cassidy, 01 March 2017 - 05:33 PM.

• nerka likes this

#617 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

The new branding is ugly and brings hockey jerseys to mind. Not a fan and I find that ad hard on the eyes.

Edited by Dietrich, 02 March 2017 - 08:49 AM.

#618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

It's actually pretty incredible what Victoria has fostered in the craft brewery scene ... for beer fans it's most definitely a city one can be extremely proud of.

I go to bars fairly often, and it's quite amazing how many tourists pull up to the bar, and then say "what's local?"  They really want to try new beers.

For the record, I drink Hoyne Pilsener and Phillips Pilsener by far most often.  But I'm OK with Canadian and Bud draft too.

#619 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hideous new packaging.  I wonder if they focus group tested that.

#620 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I also drink the house Euro Lager at Moxies and the house Social Lager at Brown's.  Oh, and the house Longboard at Cactus.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users