Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

Speaking of which, Hyuandai Victoria has been calling my girlfriend trying to get her to come in and buy a new car. She doesn't even have a license.

She believes she must have entered some contest eons ago and provided her contact info.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#182 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

I only have experience with Harris Dodge, Suburban Ford and Glen Oak.. all have been pretty painless to deal with. I have used service department at Suburban and Glen Oak a few different times for mostly tires and oil changes. 

#183 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Speaking of which, Hyuandai Victoria has been calling my girlfriend trying to get her to come in and buy a new car. 

That Hyuandia is up to it again. He is a bit of a ladykiller.

I would watch out for him, unless of course you get to drive her car.

#184 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

I always request that dealers don't wash the car. Have you seen how much crud is on those brushes they use?

Indeed.

Lots of new cars come with the dealer-installed Swirl Option at no extra cost:  clicky

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#185 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

I assume the replacements were better quality or if not they refunded the difference?

They said they were just as good.  We weren't told until after we had paid the bill.  It was like "oh BTW"   We had ordered them in a few days prior, they called us when they came in.  I remember the guy actually saying "we have your name on them"

#186 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

I'd love to learn more about your experiences with the GX470. I've heard it's a tank, and in a good way.

It's tough to find capable mid-size SUV's these days. Unless you're going for the full-size Expedition or Tahoe (and their luxury ilk) there's virtually nothing out there.

pm me and I'll let you take it out for a burn....

lexus%20winters_zpsvnx81vsk.jpg

Edited by rjag, 07 June 2016 - 01:51 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#187 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

From the perspective of used vehicles - specifically SUV's - can anyone recommend or comment either way good or bad re: local lots/dealers?

Sadly my 2003 EB Explorer experienced a 'transmission malfunction' a few weeks back coming down the Malahat so I'm on borrowed time. As long as I stick to municipal speeds I can coax a few more clicks out of the old girl before I take it behind the shed..... -> actually I'm going to put it on UsedVictoria soon for a (very) reasonable price so if anyone knows someone who might be interested please PM me. 

I've more or less had my butt welded to Explorers for 15 years since RJag sold me his old XLT back in 2001; I like the Explorers but also interested in other mid-size SUV's, and I do drive them for their intended purpose i.e. roaming back woods roads on camping and especially "off the map" fishing trips. So I am especially interested in any good/bad/indifferent experiences posters have had with the local dealer-lots. I don't see a lot of SUV inventory of particular interest on either U-V or Kijiji right now so want to have as many options open as possible. Thanks all....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 07 June 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#188 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

From the perspective of used vehicles - specifically SUV's - can anyone recommend or comment either way good or bad re: local lots/dealers?

Yup, the old girl served us both well. I would recommend you look at the infiniti qx4, its an upscale version of the pathfinder and was discontinued in 2003. For some reason they aren't as pricey as the pathfinder (name recognition etc) but a solid beast. The vq35 engine is the same one used in most Nissan and infiniti products and is well tested. you should be able to find a 2001-2003 with some decent life in it for under $5k

• AllseeingEye likes this

#189 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

Yup, the old girl served us both well. I would recommend you look at the infiniti qx4, its an upscale version of the pathfinder and was discontinued in 2003. For some reason they aren't as pricey as the pathfinder (name recognition etc) but a solid beast. The vq35 engine is the same one used in most Nissan and infiniti products and is well tested. you should be able to find a 2001-2003 with some decent life in it for under $5k

Thanks Rich I'll look into the QX for sure. I like the body style of the older Durango's but timing chain issues scare the hell out of me. Also the '02-05 Trailblazers are nice but they are plagued with 4x4 problems - not so good for an SUV! And I'm happy to say the "old girl" still lives. Sold it to a scrapper in 2013 who saw value in it due to being well maintained and bought it for his kid......

#190 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

I bought a new used vehicle today but not from a dealer.

the best thing about it was I was not forced into paying the rip-off form fee or document fee.

these fees any where from $300 to $600 are what dealer use to squeeze a more money from your pocket.

A rip-off fee to fill out a transfer paper

#191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

I've got an Explorer myself.

Why not put in a new tranny, ASE? I bit the bullet and had my Explorer mostly rebuilt knowing that buying something else would come with unforeseen problems, more money, and who knows what wear and tear the vehicle had gone through that I'd have to pay to fix.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#192 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

I've got an Explorer myself.

Why not put in a new tranny, ASE? I bit the bullet and had my Explorer mostly rebuilt knowing that buying something else would come with unforeseen problems, more money, and who knows what wear and tear the vehicle had gone through that I'd have to pay to fix.

I considered it but since I only paid $3400 all in for the EB two years ago in a private deal from a guy in Lake Cowichan, I am looking at $2500 for a replacement tranny (before labor) vs $4K for a rebuild. Those costs are consistent between the two shops I've spoken to and given what I paid for the vehicle don't appeal.

I can go out and spend $4-5K and get a different vehicle ideally - as RJag suggests possibly something like a QX4 - with less KM's (I've got 290K on the "Bauer" now). I made an mistake hanging on to the older XLT too long, and which by the time I went to sell was nearly 20 years old - which of course no one was interested in. Won't do that again.

#193 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

I considered it but since I only paid $3400 all in for the EB two years ago in a private deal from a guy in Lake Cowichan, I am looking at $2500 for a replacement tranny (before labor) vs $4K for a rebuild. Those costs are consistent between the two shops I've spoken to and given what I paid for the vehicle don't appeal.

I can go out and spend $4-5K and get a different vehicle ideally - as RJag suggests possibly something like a QX4 - with less KM's (I've got 290K on the "Bauer" now). I made an mistake hanging on to the older XLT too long, and which by the time I went to sell was nearly 20 years old - which of course no one was interested in. Won't do that again.

Grand Cherokee?

#194 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Grand Cherokee?

Maybe. Not really a Jeep fan. It would depend above all on the year and mileage. I have memories of Jeep GC owners back when the engines were made in Mexico and the grief those folks experienced so that would factor in as well. A friend of a friend had one brand new very top of the line 2002-ish GC and the thing was nothing but problems and in the shop more than on the road. But I will consider a variety of options.

At the end of the day all of them of that vintage have issues - TrailBlazers have reported problems with 4x4 mode, Explorers as I know very well can have transmission problems once they get to "X" mileage, Durango's timing chain concerns, BMW's are unholy expensive to maintain once the warranty expires etc. Unfortunately I don't have the $ on hand for a Lexus :)

Edited by AllseeingEye, 08 June 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

If the rest of the truck is in good condition, I'd get a rebuild and call it a day.

There's just so much that can go wrong with 4x4 vehicles, that if you know your truck is in good condition other than the tranny you'll be better off than risking your money on a vehicle that might only last a month before it too needs a major component rebuild. I've been doing the 4x4 thing for a long time now, and while I'm no expert, I would never again buy anything over 125k or 5 years of age (unless it was babied by the previous owner and he's got the records to prove it). There's just too much risk (and potential to insane costs), otherwise.

Know it all.

#196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

Vancouver-based Jim Pattison Group has purchased Saunders Subaru. The sale closes on the 22nd of August.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#197 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Vancouver-based Jim Pattison Group has purchased Saunders Subaru. The sale closes on the 22nd of August.

WOW.  That's quite a story.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#198 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Has anyone ever been happy with their experience at a Jim Pattison dealer? Honest question - it just seems like a high pressure operation.
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#199 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

The highest pressure salespeople I have ever encountered are at Harris Chrysler .

Give them your number and you will have 3 or possibly 4 different salespeople call you on a regular basis on the same day for weeks until you threaten them

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#200 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

I think the most remarkable thing about Bob Saunders, was his work ethic, even when he was 2, 3 or 4 years old, and working at his dad's automotive business.  At the height of the depression, in 1933, about 99.98% of 3-year-olds were unemployed.  And even at the end, in 1939, 99.84% of four-year-olds were unemployed.  So he really bucked a trend.

Born in Duncan in 1935, Saunders worked at his father’s automotive business during the Great Depression, according to Royal Roads University, where Saunders was honoured in 2010 with the Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...5.9NPPLhr4.dpuf

• nagel likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users