Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Information belonging to City of Victoria - Local Government taxpayers has also been compromised. The same hack has affected all City of Victoria taxpayers that pay automatically online, same as the Oak Bay story:

Cfax1070:

The City of Victoria is reporting a breach of personal information through the City's web services.

Mayor Dean Fortin says the City was notified that an unauthorized access to personal information may have occurred July 22nd, but wasn't notified until Friday, August 2nd.

Fortin says while they have no reason to believe anyone's personal informaton has been compromised, the City wants to ensure that citizen's are notified and staff are following up with local banks and credit unions.

A news release late this afternoon states that online payment users who have signed up for pre-authorized withdrawals are the only potentially affected users...

CFAX: http://staging.cfax1...nformation-brea

Where has the crack Victoria communications team been since Friday?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

^flinging mud at CFAX's Ian Jessop?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

Any idea why some municipalities accept credit card payments for property taxes and others do not? I'm annoyed - I see that the City of Victoria DOES accept credit cards, whereas our Saanich explicitly does NOT.

I hate paying them - of course - but atleast I could make some WestJet Dollars on the $5,000 due July 2nd. Grrrr.

#24 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

^ Cost?

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

^^ The City of Victoria tax notice says "CREDIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED"

The Saanich ones say the same as you have stated.

#26 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

^Victoria says that it now accepts credit card payments through Plastiq for an additional fee of 1.99 percent. You cannot pay directly with a credit card or do this at City Hall.

• Matt R. likes this

#27 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Ah, plastiq... It seems to be popping up everywhere. Remember it was an option when filing my federal taxes!

Sadly, plastiq's 2.5% fee is more than my 1.5% reward on my MasterCard. Humph.

Edited by LocalMom, 31 May 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#28 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Credit cards cost a lot of money for the person receiving the money, usually a fixed percentage of the total transaction. This is why Camosun College no longer accepts credit cards either.

#29 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

Yep makes sense for them not to accept credit cards. Whatever you are getting back in rewards the municipality would be paying double in fees
  • jonny likes this

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

I thought my Saanich tax bill was high but it only pays for less than a week of the municipality's Chief Administrative Officer's salary. Or Spector 360 installaton plus f ew hundred left over.
  • Matt R. likes this

#31 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

I thought my Saanich tax bill was high but it only pays for less than a week of the municipality's Chief Administrative Officer's salary. Or Spector 360 installaton plus f ew hundred left over.

Me and 100 of my neighbours got together to dedicate our taxes to paying severance for the old CAO.

#32 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

What is the Saanich mil rate?

#33 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

LocalMom, if you're paying 5k in property tax on one property, you can well afford to pay that, as your place should be valued over 7 figures.

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

LocalMom, if you're paying 5k in property tax on one property, you can well afford to pay that, as your place should be valued over 7 figures.

I think your math is out of whack. You might mean over 6 figures.

On a related topic a strata unit in the city of Victoria used for commercial purposes, assessed at $350,000 pays over $7,000 in property tax.

#35 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

Commercial is different, obviously.

I'm at over 600k assessed, but my taxes are just over 3k. So I don't think I'm wrong in assuming a 5k property tax bill on a residential property means a property value around/over 7 figures.

Yes, i am making some assumptions here that this is for one property and residential...

#36 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

There are a couple of credit cards that allow paying bills. Canadian Tire mastercard lets you pay certain things like property taxes and some utilities etc as a bill payment similar to a bank bill payment. You get the cash back from it too. It was too much of a pain for me since they keep changing the darn list and it's pretty small potatoes.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Commercial is different, obviously.

I'm at over 600k assessed, but my taxes are just over 3k. So I don't think I'm wrong in assuming a 5k property tax bill on a residential property means a property value around/over 7 figures.

Yes, i am making some assumptions here that this is for one property and residential...

It would appear that the only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions. :) You are most likely correct. I forgot how ripped off I get for that commercial piece.

#38 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Ha, 7 figures would be grand. Try $800,000 max with a $5,000 tax bill here in Saanich. $4,470 with the Homeowner Grant.

*grumble*

#39 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

Ha, 7 figures would be grand.

No, that's four figures.

/can't help myself

• LocalMom likes this

#40 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:38 PM

What is a mill rate?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users