BUILT
Era
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 726-746 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 15-storey Era condo and ground floor commercial tower is located in the 700-block of Yates Street. The pro... (view full profile)
Learn more about Era on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Era | Condos | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

I am sure Concert can get funds (they have enough themselves anyway) to build office which is still in demand.

#22 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

Not that i think Mozart will be going anytime soon...but in all fairness to Concert, if a Developer were to get financing in these tight markets, I feel that they would at least have a better shot than some of the other developers out there, they have a good track record, with Astoria, Belvedere, Marriot, The Chelsea, 365 Waterfront etc in the last couple years...that being said, still don't see this project happening anytime soon

#23 victoriaguy

victoriaguy
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

I tend to respectfully disagree that banks think short-term. They typically think long-term on all financing projects. They also think long-term when it comes to your monthly service charges as well!

Hopefully something gets built on this site in the next few years.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

I've seen a lot of people surveying the properties bordering Millie's Lane and the post office building (owned by Concert) over the last two months. I wondered what they were up to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

Bought from Eric Charman by Concert. They will demolish everything (except possibly one heritage facade) all the way to Millie`s Lane. The lane will be widened, creating clear-line sight to Johnson. 11 storey office. Same architect but different design from earlier Mozart.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the update, Rob. I've split the Mozart thread between the discussion of the Concert takeover of the lot and the original proposal. The old Mozart project can be discussed here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Awesome news! So what about the buildings between the site and the lane on the Yates Street side?

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

^Demolished, although at least one is a heritage facade so I guess they incorporate it somehow.

The architect is Jim Aalders of CEI who also did the original Mozart design.

The DRA will host a public meeting for this Monday, March 23 at 7 pm at Silver Threads, 1740 Douglas at Herald (across from the old Bay building).

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Somebody please offer Concert one or two extra stories if they preserve the little heritage facade and un-ruin the facade of the old Metropolis Hotel (which they also own, right?):

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for posting that photo. It clearly shows the extent of the site.

In order to create a clear line-of-sight walkway it appears that the entire one-storey will have to go. I assume they will create a new facade on the heritage two storey building in the middle of the site that will face the expanded walkway which will be more like a plaza.

I think this would have been a good site for the original S-curve version of the 819 Yates (Capitol 6 parking lot) building.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Is the post office building (owned by Concert Properties) and the two-storey building to its right connected internally?

Know it all.

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

does that two storey building even have doors opening on to the street?

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

If they're going to make the lane into a plaza then I hope the vehicle access will also be via that plaza.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Good question. There are "camouflaged" doors along that strip if memory serves me right but I can't remember whether they're on the post office building or the two storey building.

Know it all.

#35 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Is the post office building (owned by Concert Properties) and the two-storey building to its right connected internally?

Has it been sold? The last I spoke with the owners, which also own 2 buildings backing onto the Concert lot from Johnson Street, they had no plans to sell. Not saying things haven't changed, but I would have to make some calls

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:56 AM

According to Concert's website they own the building. And looking at the photo on the site the two-storey building does appear connected, so that probably answers my question.

Know it all.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

The Beverley Hotel which was demolished to make way for that bland little annex:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

^ Actually to me Holden I don't think the Beverley was demolished so much as shortened. Look at the window placements.

#39 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

According to Concert's website they own the building. And looking at the photo on the site the two-storey building does appear connected, so that probably answers my question.

Ah, then I guess the Ellis family has sold it off. I'll have to ask them if they have sold the 2 other buildings they own adjacent to the hole

#40 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

^ Actually to me Holden I don't the Beverley was demolished so much as shortened. Look at the window placements.

From the Concert Properties Website:

Building Features

Situated on the north side of the 700 block of Yates Street, just east of the intersection of Yates and Douglas Streets in downtown Victoria, the office building has an attached two-storey annex.

Originally constructed in 1912 as the Yates Hotel, it was completely renovated and expanded in 1988. At that time, the adjacent Beverly Hotel, to the east of the Yates Hotel, was demolished and a two-storey, 9,900-square-foot “annex” building was constructed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users