BUILT
Era
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 726-746 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 15-storey Era condo and ground floor commercial tower is located in the 700-block of Yates Street. The pro... (view full profile)
Learn more about Era on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Era | Condos | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Surveyors were on site today and yesterday a group of individuals was taking photos of the adjacent two-story property (one lot to the east). I'm not sure if both activities are related in any way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

I've just been contacted by CEI Architecture representing the site owner. They want to meet with the DRA to talk about using the site for an office building. That's all I know right now. We'll meet with them next week. CEI was the designer of the original Mozart proposal.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Nice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

So there is hope for another crane downtown!

#5 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've just been contacted by CEI Architecture representing the site owner. They want to meet with the DRA to talk about using the site for an office building. That's all I know right now. We'll meet with them next week. CEI was the designer of the original Mozart proposal.

I've had lunch several times with the guys from CEI, this has been going around for over 6-8 months. Don't plan on anything happening in 2009, its a long way off.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

At the pace at which this one has moved over the past 3+ years, methinks another year will go by pretty quickly. That old rendering seemed to show a huge setback that was all wrong for Yates Street, so here's hoping they take some time to un-botch that.

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Here is the original design, posted by Scaper:

I'm not liking blank walls either--maybe 819 Yates' original S-curve design would fit nicely here.

#8 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

^ Blank walls?

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Page one of this thread alludes to blank walls on the east (possibly north, too) due to proximity to the lot line. The original rendering seen on the JJB site is offline now.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about the north side but that's just me. But the setback on Yates definitely needs to match up more closely with the buildings on either side.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

There's already a massive open area across the street in front of the St. Andrew's entrance.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

So are you saying enough is enough or are you saying an open area on one side of the street makes it okay to put another open area on the other side?

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

I'm thinking enough is enough unless there is a spectacular use like a cool art piece, dynamic fountain. Hell, I'd settle for a mini-donut cart. It's south-facing so there is potential for the ubiquitous podium cafe.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

What about a giant clock playing mozart?

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Ideally, they would like to consolidate three lots, Mozart, 738 Yates, and the one storey that houses the old hair salon and florist and fronts Millie's Lane/Odeon Alley.

738 Yates (home of the English Sweet Shop) is heritage registered. If they want to incorporate it they would have to save the facade.

No change to the height at 43 metres.

No drawings released yet.

The building would be freestanding, ie: not touching any other building, including the post office. A green wall or similar would be needed to cover up the blank wall of the post office. This is where the underground parkade entrance would be.

This is office with ground floor commercial. Millie's Lane would be widened, possibly making a straight-line view through to Odeon Alley/Johnson St.

#16 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Who are the golden creatures that still venture such ideas in the current financially depressing era? What mythic lands do they rule?

(Seriously... I'm all in favor, since I hate that eyesore of a hole that's there now. But I'm just agog that anyone is still making plans. I thought we were all supposed to hide under a rock for the next 10 years...?)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

Concert Properties wants to develop it and they think long-term.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

Concert Properties wants to develop it and they think long-term.

They can think 'long term' all they want, unfortunately the banks which fund their developments think short term.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you think the situation is so bad that nothing new will ever be built again, ever?

#20 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

Not that i think Mozart will be going anytime soon...but in all fairness to Concert, if a Developer were to get financing in these tight markets, I feel that they would at least have a better shot than some of the other developers out there, they have a good track record, with Astoria, Belvedere, Marriot, The Chelsea, 365 Waterfront etc in the last couple years...that being said, still don't see this project happening anytime soon

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users