• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm glad the CoV is putting all the relevant documents with the council meeting agendas.  It's very organized. 

Do you think I can get my strata council to do the same? :badpc:

• AndrewReeve likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

First meeting is happening now.

WATCH:   http://victoria.ca.g...=2&event_id=259

Jeremy Loveday appears to have a broken leg/foot.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

Jeremy Loveday appears to have a broken leg/foot.

I guess he's not getting off on the right foot....

• Mixed365 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

I wonder how many mayors start off their first speech with the words "I love you, I care for you and I respect you"
  • sebberry likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

I wonder how many mayors start off their first speech with the words "I love you, I care for you and I respect you"

On the one hand I would hope that people could work together in an environment of respect and trust and accomplish great things. If Lisa Helps can pull that off then everyone wins.

I keep hearing that "politics is a blood sport" and the leaders who appear to get the most done are the ones who take a no holds barred approach to running a city.

I guess we will find out which approach works here.

#46 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

I agree spanky, my wife always says she wants a mayor she can like who is a good person. I don't need to like my mayor and if they have to be an a hole to get er done then so be it. No matter how much collaboration you use, a leader has to lead and that can be a lonely place.
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

TC reporting that Helps, Isitt and Alto all refused to take the oath of allegiance and instead stated that the land belongs to the First nations people.

Edited by spanky123, 04 December 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#48 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

I wonder if all three of them will give up their houses then.
  • concorde and Mixed365 like this
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#49 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

TC reporting that Helps, Isitt and Alto all refused to take the oath of allegiance and instead stated that the land belongs to the First nations people.

That gets into some tricky territory does it not? Do they not recognize Canada then..... I get wanting to acknowledge the native territories, as well as not wanting to pledge allegiance to the Queen. But that does start to get thorny when the legislation that all levels of government make are based on the concept of the 'Crown' and Canada.

#50 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

This is so damn stupid I don't even know where to begin.

• Nparker, concorde and Mixed365 like this

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

Apparently Loveday also refused to take the oath.

Jeremy Loveday, who entered his first term, had two reasons for leaving the pledge of allegiance out of his oath. “Part of it is out of respect for the First Nations and the fact that we’re on unceded territory,” he said. The second part had to do with the wording of the oath, which implied a pledge to past and future monarchs.“It’s pretty open and there have been some pretty horrible queens and kings. I do not swear allegiance to them,” Loveday said. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Dea0fRnX.dpuf

Edited by spanky123, 04 December 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hours until it's national news.....   I could not care one way or another, if it's not a requirement.  But I hope little stuff like this is not what keeps councillors up at night thinking about.  We've got other issues.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

Lynn Hunter didn't take the pledge. Rob Ford did and that didn't faze him.

#54 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

Yeah I wouldn't take the oath either, to me anyways it's archaic.  I don't think they should have to explain them selves or milk the situation to grandstand, just politely decline. If other people want to, that's ok.  But people shouldn't have to lie or sacrifice their personal ethics for some display of public obedience to a dead empire.  It's like swearing on the bible, nothing wrong with it if that's something that holds weight for you, but no one should be forced to do it or seen as untrustworthy or "disloyal" for not doing it.

Edited by Baro, 04 December 2014 - 03:07 PM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#55 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

The oath is not about pledging allegiance to this particular queen, per se. It's more about pledging allegiance to Canada, her people, her institutions, our way of life, our constitution, our democracy...The oath means that you will carry out your duties in the best interests of Canada and her people.

Does this mean they will instead carry out their duties in the interests of the Coast Salish people?

• AllseeingEye and Mixed365 like this

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

110 or so opinions here on Facebook.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

When I testified in court I affirmed rather than swear an oath. Works either way. The way it is now it's meaningless. It would mean more if the pledge stuck to obeying all the relevant laws, rules and authorities. The monarchy is covered that way (as the chief law rubber stamper) so everyone's happy. 

It's more about pledging allegiance to Canada, her people, her institutions, our way of life, our constitution, our democracy...The oath means that you will carry out your duties in the best interests of Canada and her people.

But you can do all that and more without bringing Elizabeth R into this. 

I will note that if Prince William had become King about ten years ago, pledges, oaths and God Save the King singing among teenage girls would have risen 473%.

#58 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

Lynn Hunter didn't take the pledge. Rob Ford did and that didn't faze him.

Why does this not remotely surprise me?

#59 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think that the issue here is that this behavior is EXACTLY what we were hoping we could avoid.

Instead of addressing the real issues that the City is facing we start off in a controversy over native land, oaths, kings and queens, etc.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and AndrewReeve like this

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

^On the contrary; I see it as someone who's dispensing with archaic, arbitrary red tape formalities and is dealing with reality.

• Baro and gumgum like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users