Costco Langford gas station | Completed

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

So it would only take 687.5 litres to pay off your membership. I fill up my car just a bit more than once a month (17 or so times a year) and I have 40 litre tank... So that is 693litres a year. So that is like 6 litres a year at a discounted price.

Well I will be rushing out to get that membership tomorrow!

Its good for the Costco shopper that lives in Langford but really has no impact on anyone else. Though I guess if were driving to Langford to fill up I would be using more gas which would make it more practical.

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

I think the market is Costco members. People who stop to fill up for gas may also then stop in to the store and buy something else.

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

I think the market is Costco members.

Since only Costco members can receive this discount I don't see how it will spark any sort of "gas war". As G-Man earlier pointed out, this is no different than the fuel discount offered by Co-Op to its members which has no noticeable effect on local gas prices. IMHO, this whole thing is kind of a non-story.

#44 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

This is a really smart move by Costco. I would reckon the majority of members only use the store once or twice a year - usually Christmas. This will act as an incentive to shop more at the Langford location, and fill up.

It's a common practice in the UK - Testco and Sainsburys have gas bars, and often combine shopping discounts with gas fill ups.

#45 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

This is a really smart move by Costco. I would reckon the majority of members only use the store once or twice a year - usually Christmas. This will act as an incentive to shop more at the Langford location, and fill up.

It's a common practice in the UK - Testco and Sainsburys have gas bars, and often combine shopping discounts with gas fill ups.

same in france, all the big hypermarche chains have their own gas bars and its always at least10% cheaper, or more. i could never figure why motorists bought at the regular petro companies when a hypermarche was never more than 20km away, its the same gas.

#46 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

So it would only take 687.5 litres to pay off your membership. I fill up my car just a bit more than once a month (17 or so times a year) and I have 40 litre tank... So that is 693litres a year. So that is like 6 litres a year at a discounted price.

Well I will be rushing out to get that membership tomorrow!

Its good for the Costco shopper that lives in Langford but really has no impact on anyone else. Though I guess if were driving to Langford to fill up I would be using more gas which would make it more practical.

I go to costco 2X a month so I'll take advantage and fill up there so the saving will pay for my round trips.

#47 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

Odds are we will fill up at Costco if the price is 8 cents a litre less than Co-op, otherwise I see us still buying most of our fuel at Co-op.

We buy about 150 litres of fuel a month, an 8 cent savings works out to $12 a month or $144 a year.

#48 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

It is about time that someone stood up to the gas cartel on Vancouver Island. We have not had any real competition since the Pay Less stations got taken over. I see that Costco is at 98.9 and that Superstore is now 99.9 with a 4.5 cent per litre store coupon.

Why not support these two stations? If lots of people start buying there in the next month it will send a strong message to the other price gougers. It is the principle for me as the saving is not that much on a monthly basis.

#49 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

Why does everybody ***** about gas prices. If your so upset then join an NGO to get the neo-cons to pass legislation that requires the gas companies to sell to Canada first and then sell the left overs to the states where most of our oil is shipped.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Buy an electric car.

#51 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Why would i buy a vehicle that's electricity is fueled by coal. BY the way G-man i don't drive, i use alternative means of transportation.

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

Why would I buy a vehicle that's electricity is fueled by coal.

Most electricity in BC is generated through hydro, a relatively clean form of energy generation.

#53 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

With the population rising and no new damns being built, more coal and natural gas are being used. Electric cars will just use these two resources and would contribute equally to global warming as a car ran on gas would.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Whose to say other forms of more environmentally friendly energy won't be developed in the years to come? Electric cars WILL be the way of the future...and I don't drive either, so I have no fossil-fuel bias to support.

#55 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Technically electric cars should have been here by now if it wasn't for Bill Clinton backing down to the Republicans. Watch the Documentary Who killed the Electric Car. It will explain the rest so i don't have to.

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

Electric cars are the only answer. Power generation argument is a red herring because even if electricity is produced by coal the entire system is more efficient with electric cars than by burning gas in an internal combustion engine.

#57 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

It is about time that someone stood up to the gas cartel on Vancouver Island. We have not had any real competition since the Pay Less stations got taken over. I see that Costco is at 98.9 and that Superstore is now 99.9 with a 4.5 cent per litre store coupon.

Why not support these two stations? If lots of people start buying there in the next month it will send a strong message to the other price gougers. It is the principle for me as the saving is not that much on a monthly basis.

We always go to superstore as well when we make a costco run and I prefer S-S overall. But i've never taken advantage of the gas discount because I can't be arsed messing around with coupons and bits of paper. Just make it cheaper at the pump!

#58 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

Electric cars are the only answer. Power generation argument is a red herring because even if electricity is produced by coal the entire system is more efficient with electric cars than by burning gas in an internal combustion engine.

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

#59 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Have to say the news of the Costco gas station opening with those prices altered plans for the weekend. The car is at 1/4 tank, the freezer could use supply of family pack meats and veggies, and it's not far.

Coming down the Island Highway last week we filled up in Duncan for $.99 - obviously too far for local Victoria, but illustrates that undue market forces rule this town.

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

It is discussed in Hot Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman and here too
http://gas2.org/2008...ng-normal-cars/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users