BUILT
Turnberry
Use: subdivision
Address: Champions Court at Bear Mountain Parkway
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Turnberry is a two phase, 51 home subdivision at the Bear Mountain development in the municipality of Langford... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turnberry on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford + Highlands] Bear Mountain | 4,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
2177 replies to this topic

#2001 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:32 PM

It would likely be strata titled, would it not? That would make it a private road with private maintenance.

I would assume so...

#2002 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:44 PM

It would likely be strata titled, would it not? That would make it a private road with private maintenance.

That's correct.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2003 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:50 PM

I took a drive through Bear Mountain and what a change. I stopped and looked at some of the houses on that street and spoke to someone that had just bought one. He said the pricing was $2M+

Ya we did the same on Sunday. Unbelievable construction up there. This type of housing doesn’t appeal to our tastes but they will probably get scooped up in a hurry.

F4C7A659-92EB-46C9-9812-1AF60354D511.jpeg

Quite the lifestyle.

0D244C02-6FFE-485C-A96B-780F5E9E931F.jpeg
  • Matt R. likes this

#2004 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:58 AM

If Bear Mountain ever gets a nice little plaza (like Fairfield and a set of its own schools it would be a great place to live.

#2005 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:45 PM

If Bear Mountain ever gets a nice little plaza (like Fairfield and a set of its own schools it would be a great place to live.

It's coming.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2006 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

Ya we did the same on Sunday. Unbelievable construction up there. This type of housing doesn’t appeal to our tastes but they will probably get scooped up in a hurry.

That section is $1M to $1.5M+.  The gated section above is $2M to $3M+. 

• Sparky likes this

#2007 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

$1,295,000

2060 Pinehurst Terr

I can't speak to 2060 but that doesn't seem accurate unless it is just for bare land.

#2008 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:55 PM

2060 Pinehurst is a one off special lot at the end that is secluded from the street, very unique but it does have some drawbacks...such as power lines.  The listing is for land and this lot previously sold for $900k. 

I can't speak to 2060 but that doesn't seem accurate unless it is just for bare land.

#2009 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

User fees are coming to Bear Mountain for hiking trail and mountain bike trail access.

Trail Network and Security Programs

Ecoasis is pleased to advise that we are implementing two new programs to provide Bear Mountain residents increased safety and priority access to the natural wilderness of our 750 acres of private property.

In order for our Bear Mountain residents to continue to enjoy our dedicated trails, Ecoasis will soon be implementing an official Trail Network program for resident access to its non-golf course lands. As such, you may have recently noticed newly installed ‘No Trespassing’ signs at various locations around the Bear Mountain property. Additional signage will soon be installed indicating where walking and cycling is permitted. With a steady notable increase in traffic on Bear Mountain hiking and mountain biking trails, along with the increasing liability burden, we recognize the need to formalize trail network admittance to ensure Bear Mountain residents continue to have an enhanced experience.

With the new program, Bear Mountain residents who wish to enjoy the existing and future wilderness trails will be required to sign a liability waiver, and in the future the option of enhanced safety measures such as GPS tracking will also be available. To ensure priority access for our residents, a Bear Mountain non-resident trail user fee will also be introduced and funds will be allocated to enhancing and maintaining the trail network. Similar to our golf and tennis offerings, our hiking and biking trails are an amenity on private property.

You may also have noticed that with the arrival of warmer weather and longer daylight hours, Bear Mountain is experiencing an increased number of unauthorized walkers and cyclists on both golf courses, also raising the potential for safety and liability issues.

Membership to the Bear Mountain Golf Club formalizes the use and enjoyment of golf facilities. When golf members encounter non-golfers on the course, it places the possibility of liability with them should there be an incident involving golf carts or someone being struck by a golf ball. This places an unfair burden on golf members and guests who have paid for this privilege.

For everyone’s benefit, Ecoasis is implementing a security program, including security personnel, camera surveillance and enforcement, to prevent unauthorized public use of the golf courses.

We recognize that living in Bear Mountain is a privilege and we want to ensure that we protect that privilege. As a Bear Mountain resident, the nature on our dedicated trails is yours to discover and enjoy in a manner that is safe and responsible. Once the Bear Mountain Activity Centre is open, we will facilitate the signing of waivers for residents through the reception desk and provide updates on this program as it evolves. If you have any questions about the Trail Network and/or Security programs, please contact us at info@ecoasis.ca

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2010 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:14 AM

sounds reasonable.

cue people complaining shortly though.

not sure what the GPS thing is about.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 07:15 AM.

#2011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

Probably stems from people getting lost. It's easy to do out that way, where you've walked down a deer trail for 25 minutes and suddenly you realize you don't know where you are relative to an easy way out, it's getting dark and it's starting to rain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:07 AM

^ sounds like lived experience.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2013 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:11 AM

not sure what the GPS thing is about.

I guess when you buy your ticket they give you a fully-charged little tracker.

#2014 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

I'd call this a big loss for recreation access in Langford. I'd rather not live somewhere that charges residents to go for a hike. Surely council could have required park access as a condition of development permits?

#2015 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

it’s not a park. it’s private property.

if you live in a condo should you welcome free guests to your pool or gym?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 01:20 PM.

#2016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

I’m telling you, we’re moving further and further into gated community land in this country. People are starting to get nervous about unfettered access to their homes (like downtown condo buildings closing down public amenities out of fear for the safety of residents and the building), suburban communities like Bear Mountain are starting to restrict access to their lands by non-residents, fences are going up all over our communities to control vandalism and break-ins, etc.

Look at Burnside-Gorge. It has seen a surge of fence building over the last year. Even the BC Legislature has installed security bollards and new concrete barriers (which somehow weren’t enough to stop a man from driving across the Legislature grounds during a multi-day rampage in our city, but I digress).
  • Szeven and Danma like this

Know it all.

#2017 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

it’s not a park. it’s private property.

if you live in a condo should you welcome free guests to your pool or gym?

I think what he was getting at was access to their private park lands as part of the development permit. Similar to downtown condos providing access to common areas for transiting between streets mid block as an example (although most of them have now gated that off as Mike mentioned).

#2018 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:18 AM

I’m telling you, we’re moving further and further into gated community land in this country. People are starting to get nervous about unfettered access to their homes (like downtown condo buildings closing down public amenities out of fear for the safety of residents and the building), suburban communities like Bear Mountain are starting to restrict access to their lands by non-residents, fences are going up all over our communities to control vandalism and break-ins, etc.

Look at Burnside-Gorge. It has seen a surge of fence building over the last year. Even the BC Legislature has installed security bollards and new concrete barriers (which somehow weren’t enough to stop a man from driving across the Legislature grounds during a multi-day rampage in our city, but I digress).

It's not hard to imagine why people are gating, 100% fear.  One won't have to look too far, all manner of pop-up public services planted, with or without 'community consultation' and some 'services' coming with severe consequences for 'neighbours'. Although it is highly unlikely a 'tent city' would establish itself on Bear Mountain, who knows.  As you've eluded Mike, when one completes the dreaded 'liability' or 'risk' survey for property insurance purposes, property owners can hear the money flying.  Insurance companies are wising up to 'adjacent' property 'changed' uses and impacts on their clients (payouts).  You'd be surprised at the property-protections owners are examining for potential installation in near future to keep costs down.  Now, as to the development of Bear Mountain, as noted, pull the permits and have a look, betting zero protection and the land to be administered as the developer sees fit.  (Who would have thought way back when it was approved that Bear Mountain charging a fee in the future would even be a thing? ..... they did.)

• Mike K. likes this

#2019 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:25 AM

It's not hard to imagine why people are gating, 100% fear.

Fear, rising insurance rates, liabilities, and worst of all, a reaction to criminality or disturbances/property damage/trespassing.

Know it all.

#2020 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

I live downhill from the hotel and golf course and honestly, it's not that huge of a deal. If you live adjacent to the course and are a member you're probably gonna get free access to the walking trails anyways, and the bike trails already needed a fee. The sidewalks and bike lanes are still fully open and people can walk around the actual community without issue.

Over here you can be at any one of at least 7 or 8 excellent Provincial and CRD parks in 5-10 minutes, if I want to go for a nature walk doing it where I'm having to dodge retirees in golf carts seems pretty silly.

I do agree that we are moving towards more gated communities, however and I honestly think it's unnecessary and ridiculous, particularly on Bear Mountain. What kind of 'rabble' are you worried about willing to trot up Bear Mountain Parkway?! In my opinion, it's just exclusivity marketing to help justify the price of the fanciest cul-de-sacs at the top.

Edited by Danma, 08 June 2021 - 04:29 PM.

• spanky123 and On the Level like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users