Photo

Daily Me - how are you informed?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Speaking of newspaper closures and the rise of blogs (even the T-C has caught on, go VV!) what are the blogs you read and recommend?
I'll start:
1) VV of course - my first stop in the morning
2) Daily Dish (Andrew Sullivan) - on the Atlantic monthly website, Blog of the Year
3) James Fallows (mostly on China) - on Atlantic also

For US politics/affairs:
Talking Points Memo (TPM)
538.com (revolutionized polling analysis, their numbers called the presidential election bang on)
Think Progress.org
Huffington Post

#2 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Nicholas Kristof - NYT - posted this inspired article about the social effects of dispersed information due to mainstream media demise.

When we go online, each of us is our own editor, our own gatekeeper. We select the kind of news and opinions that we care most about.

Nicholas Negroponte of M.I.T. has called this emerging news product The Daily Me. And if that’s the trend, God save us from ourselves.....The decline of traditional news media will accelerate the rise of The Daily Me, and we’ll be irritated less by what we read and find our wisdom confirmed more often. The danger is that this self-selected “news” acts as a narcotic, lulling us into a self-confident stupor through which we will perceive in blacks and whites a world that typically unfolds in grays.

So what’s the solution? Tax breaks for liberals who watch Bill O’Reilly or conservatives who watch Keith Olbermann? No, until President Obama brings us universal health care, we can’t risk the surge in heart attacks.

So perhaps the only way forward is for each of us to struggle on our own to work out intellectually with sparring partners whose views we deplore. Think of it as a daily mental workout analogous to a trip to the gym; if you don’t work up a sweat, it doesn’t count.

Now excuse me while I go and read The Wall Street Journal’s editorial page.

So what is your 'Daily Me'?

As a confirmed news and opinion junkie here is my morning, evening and weekend 'take'

Over 2 cups of tea (1/2 hr to 1 hour) CBC radio Vancouver goes on, and I hit - BBC News, ABC News, Drudge Report, Huffington Post (gotta have balance!), Reuters, TC, Saanich News, Bloomberg, and, of course The New York Times.

Evenings and weekends are the NYT, and UK/European papers

I almost never watch TV news

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

For me in the mornings I get my coffee and turn CBC Radio - VICTORIA - Can't stand listening to Vancouver traffic et al. and look throught the TC that is usually at my my door by 6:30am.

Then I check out:

VV
Globe and Mail (online)
BBC
Granma (en espanol)
Skyscraperpage

and once a week download counterspin for my MP3 player on my walk to work.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

Granma (en espanol)

...the official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. We've finally exposed you for the commie you are.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

VV first in the morning, of course, followed by a quick browse through SkyscraperPage.com.

Globe is delivered in the morning typically just before I leave at 6.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm too sleepy in the morning to comprehend the news :P

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Morning= TC and TV BBC World News
Day = Online Globe&Mail, TSX, BBC radio
Evening = AChannel 5pm
VV = various times

#8 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

VV - usually while I eat breakfast before I leave

On the way to work I pick up print copies of the TC and Globe and read them as time allows up in the crane

Throughout the day I tend to check in with Wall St Journal, New York Times VV some more and Skyscraperpage

Evening I check in with a few European Crane Magazines/Forums and a couple American Heavy Equipment Forums for equipment and crane related news and a round or two more of VV and Skyscraper while I eat dinner/watch a show, or relax.

I peek at other sites and news outlets on the odd occasion as links are posted on here, SSP or other forums I belong too.

#9 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

...the official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. We've finally exposed you for the commie you are.

HOWL!!!!!!!!!!

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

^ It is also a great way for me to practice spanish. Once you read it for a few weeks the stories and the party messaging makes story comprehension easy.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hmmm
everyone has a routine....

All day - Greater Fool, BBC, Nat Post, Redflagdeals and liveleak and VV
- Audiworld, CaymanClub, various vancouver car dealer websites like Urban Garage and Weissach, and great sites called Airliners.net and flyertalk forums

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

TimesColonist.com, Globeandmail.com, Vibrantvictoria.ca, CFAX1070.com, Metrocascade.com, CNN.com, Vicnews.com, cbc.ca/bc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

VV for local stuff, poe-news.com for general headlines and sometimes the somethingawful.com debate & discussion forums for some goon takes on news and events. (Wow I'm a nerd)
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

VV, Wired magazine, American Thinker, Al Jazeera, Discovery News, The Google Blog, The TC Online or print.

I also get the Economist, Focus Mag, and The Douglas Mag whenever there is a new issue and read them faithfully. I love magazine subscriptions. It's like Christmas all year round.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

TimesColonist.com, Globeandmail.com, Vibrantvictoria.ca, CFAX1070.com, Metrocascade.com, CNN.com, Vicnews.com, cbc.ca/bc.

Crap, this is a lot like me. Definitely TC and CFAX, VV of course, Victoria Sports Authority (I co-own that site), Tyee sometimes. I do a lot of Google News searches for whatever I want recent info on, will search by date. David Warren online and Mark Steyn at least daily.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

^Yeah, The Tyee is on my second tier of visits, along with Slate.com and Salon.com. Some good stuff there.

From time to time I'll also check out Publiceye.com and the local blogs. The Globe`s Tom Hawthorn has some great stories, most with a Victoria connection. Vancouver`s Gordon Price is vital for the latest on urbanism.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

^Yeah, The Tyee is on my second tier of visits, along with Slate.com and Salon.com. Some good stuff there.

From time to time I'll also check out Publiceye.com and the local blogs. The Globe`s Tom Hawthorn has some great stories, most with a Victoria connection. Vancouver`s Gordon Price is vital for the latest on urbanism.

Love the 'second tier of visits' - not sure how others group, RSS, bookmark etc. sources (another thread comes to mind). Everyone will have their own preferences - which was the entire point of the NYT article, we tend to go for 'news' which agrees with our own mind set. So how many actually look for news sources they know will have a slant against personal opinion? Nobody mentioned Fox!

I look Daily at drudge and huffington post, Times UK, Guardian and The Independent - NYT and Washington Post - and don't forget (here's a blog) Michael Geist.

Keep posting news, info and opinion preferences - and, post links to sources (makes it easier)

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Nobody mentioned Fox.

Hey, I said I read Steyn, isn't that right enough? But I no go for Rush Limbaugh.

All of you that read Huffington Post, that makes me very sick thank you. ;)

#19 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hey, I said I read Steyn, isn't that right enough? But I no go for Rush Limbaugh.

All of you that read Huffington Post, that makes me very sick thank you. ;)

I have a wonderful mind picture of you puking while we continually click on HUFFINgTON POST.

Arianna Huffington: A Disturbing D.C. Whodunit [Update II]
The mystery over who killed a provision in the stimulus package that would have curtailed bonuses at bailed out companies is a disturbing D.C. whodunit. But even more disturbing is what it reveals about how our government is run. "It is the ultimate indictment of what Washington has become," Sen. Ron Wyden, co-sponsor of the eliminated provision told me. "It's a place where, again and again, the public interest is deep-sixed without any fingerprints." Wyden has no idea who killed the provision. And, so far, no one in the administration of a president who promised that transparency would be a "touchstone" of his presidency has demanded that whoever is responsible own up to it. We deserve better. READ MORE

Gotta love the HUff's BIG NEWS PAGES

If you start dehydrating VHF, call 911 - I would be happy to write the Obit 'Death by Huff' ;)

#20 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

I like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter.

Arianna Huffington is a twit.
In chains by Keynes

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users