CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#601 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

I get tired of all the national news on CBC so will switch to CFAX. I think they could bring in some more youthful programming though some is quite good. Really like the tech show.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#602 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

I think that listening to a game on a radio station doesnt quite qualify as listening to the station per se

It would skew the numbers greatly because poll takers try to get a more broad demographic and would not focus primarily on teh hockey fans who dont care what the call numbers are of the station they are tuning to

That's why you have both the % and the 000's of people.  If a large portion of people only tune in for the games, it pads the 000's.  But not the % as much.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#603 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

attachicon.gifradio5.png

so... Looking at those numbers, lots of people listen to Radio One for many hours.  But more people listen to Kool FM for short periods (in the car, morning and afternoon).

The number, in the thousands, is the number of people that listen to that station for at least 15 minutes in any 7-day period.

In both the spring and fall ratings periods, CFAX likely gets quite a boost by Canucks games.

It is hard to look at a single point in time and draw a conclusion. CFAX has been declining for years. 5-10 years ago they were consistently #1 in the market with 12-15% share and 70K plus listeners in a smaller market.

#604 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hmm. Why listen to CFAX for hockey games. Team1040 is reachable

#605 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

CFAX filled their evenings with sports talk and I went looking for another station.  Ended up with CKNW but that's changing a lot too now.  Maybe I'll dust off the old Sirius.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#606 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

did you buy the lifetime $500 sirius a few years back when that was an option

#607 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

CFAX filled their evenings with sports talk and I went looking for another station.  Ended up with CKNW but that's changing a lot too now.  Maybe I'll dust off the old Sirius.

Do you get CKNW over the air clearly? I don't in the house, I liked it when they had a bunch of radio stations on cable, then I could pick and choose and get them clearly.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#608 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

did you buy the lifetime $500 sirius a few years back when that was an option

No, I wish I did.  I do have a subscription, but I find the sound quality so poor I never listen to it. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#609 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Do you get CKNW over the air clearly? I don't in the house, I liked it when they had a bunch of radio stations on cable, then I could pick and choose and get them clearly.

I listen online on the PC.  I get it in the car fine on AM, unless there's lots of power lines nearby. 

#610 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

So EVERY newscast on the hour, since yesterday morning contains "news" about the Saanich Fair, what's going on, how to get there and all about the plenty of free parking they have.  Followed by "news" about the GreekFest, how it runs all weekend, and they expect more than 30k people, and it's all covered in tents etc. etc.

I think it's pretty clear, you can buy your way onto newscasts on CFAX now, with ad dollars.

Today's 9am news went in this order:

1. Teachers' strike
  2. Saanich Fair
  3. GreekFest
  4. Iraq
  5. Gaza
  6. Newspoll (brought to you by Glenwood Meats)
  7. Sports

Listen here, from yesterday, start at 0:55 > > https://soundcloud.c...ug-30-lifestyle

It might be a smart strategy, since I don't listen on weekends anymore, except to the newscasts, I hate all their weekend programming.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#611 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Glad I'm not the only one being driven nuts by this.  Since when does a newscast become the entertainment guide?  Even the laziest rip and read reporter can come up with real news instead of repeating what the community cruiser is supposed to be doing.  If sponsors are buying their way into newscasts, that's just wrong.....especially on the station that claims to be the "news authority".

#612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Glad I'm not the only one being driven nuts by this.  Since when does a newscast become the entertainment guide?  Even the laziest rip and read reporter can come up with real news instead of repeating what the community cruiser is supposed to be doing.  If sponsors are buying their way into newscasts, that's just wrong.....especially on the station that claims to be the "news authority".

I'm 99% certain that it's paid.  The announcer is going through pains to make sure they include all the correct talking points each time.

#613 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Ethics of blending ads and news content aside, it's just an awkward thing to interrupt the start of the top of the hour newscast with a dull, rambling public service announcement. It would be acceptable to start with "9 o'clock news brought to you by the Saanich Fair, then close the newscast with the details.

I'm imagining the newscaster finishing his Saanich Fair blurb just as a producer hands him a piece of paper about a kid that just got his foot chopped off on the Fair's roller coaster.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#614 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ethics of blending ads and news content aside, it's just an awkward thing to interrupt the start of the top of the hour newscast with a dull, rambling public service announcement. It would be acceptable to start with "9 o'clock news brought to you by the Saanich Fair, then close the newscast with the details.

I'm imagining the newscaster finishing his Saanich Fair blurb just as a producer hands him a piece of paper about a kid that just got his foot chopped off on the Fair's roller coaster.

It's not even off the top, where you might says it's an opening commercial -  sometimes it's smack in the middle of the newscast.

#615 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Right, so you'd be pretty certain the latter story would not go on the air.

#616 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

"A deadly car crash claimed the life a a local man this morning outside The Blue Fox restaurant on Fort Street--where the classic eggs benny comes with your choice of fries, garden salad or delicious homemade pan fries, all for only $12.99--while police say the injured passenger is in hospital in stable condition."

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#617 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

I don't think it's so bad as that. The Saanich Fair is a public event, more than a private business.

#618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm listening for the Greek Fest ad right now for more info. In true Victoria fashion, the website is useless.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#619 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Ian Jessop now broadcasts his CFAX show into Kelowna from 1-3pm.

#620 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

Ian Jessop now broadcasts his CFAX show into Kelowna from 1-3pm.

Well, he thought he was, but Kelowna played comedy clips all afternoon instead.  Maybe there was a tech glitch, or maybe they start tomorrow.

Team 1040 and Team 1410 in Vancouver become TSN Radio next week.  Because of the brand change (they have been owned by Bell for a couple years already) some regular guest personalities like Elliott Friedman won't appear on air.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users