Photo

McTavish Road / Highway 17 (Victoria International Airport) interchange | Completed April 2011

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#221 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Very good. That would be a funny thing to do on April Fool's Day. Dress up a bunch of vehicles to look like luggage.

#222 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Have some mercy for the average driver. As analogy, I learned a long time ago that just because I find it easy to use a particular piece of software does not mean that it is intuitive or well designed. "It's obvious" is probably the second most common {factually incorrect} statement in the English language. You find it easy after driving through it hundreds of times, but think back and ask yourself if you can say with certainty that you breezed through it without a moment's hesitation the first two times you went through there. I asked around after the last time I went out there, and only one person said they found it straightforward - a neighbour who goes to the airport several times per year.

There's more than yeild signs going on. I suspect the absence of clear, close orientation markers may have something to do with the nervousness I've felt both times I've been through there. I spent almost a decade as a professional driver, but I'm not a cognitive psychologist - so please punch holes in my theory, or better yet, rip mine to shreds and come up with a simpler one.

Exactly!! Way too much information in too little of a space. I've driven it twice in two different directions, in the car I muddled through, on my motorcycle when you have to watch every driver much more closely I missed the exit I wanted.

I have driven through every major city in North America and have never felt as unsure driving through a cloverleaf as I did with this one. With experience of course it becomes simple, but for a lot of folks they only drive to the airport every couple of years or so.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#223 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Have you driven on the Lee Road roundabouts outside of Detroit?

picture from Green Oak Village Place - Roundabouts
(not sure if this has already been posted...)

#224 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

^As a matter of fact, yes. But the information on using it is posted well ahead of time and there are no overhead signs you have to look at and then try to transfer that to your route.

All the lanes are clearly marked and transition distances are longer.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#225 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Down Lochside, over to the round-abouts, through the bus terminal, out McTavish and down East Saanich. Video from the 2nd floor.

j5ljgAdChWk
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#226 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

^ That was WAY better than Mr. Toads Wild Ride!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#227 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Anyone who has trouble with that one should never, ever think about driving the Etoile in Paris around the Arc de Triomphe.

#228 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

^ Good point Geek. I have driven through the Arc de Triomphe, and it is one of the scariest places I have ever seen. And I was on a bus!
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#229 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

The first time I was there I witnessed a car accident within moments. Probably less than two minutes.

#230 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

#231 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

Periodically on the local FB groups a renewed 'stitch and *****' convo flares up re: the McTavish interchange, in spite of the fact that IMO any driver of even average ability and intelligence should be able to navigate it successfully. I occasionally jump in with something to the effect "heaven help you if ever attempt to drive in Asia or Europe" or words to that effect.

As proof I give this beauty of a roundabout, courtesy of the good folks in Swindon, England - good luck:

Attached Images

• Swindon.png

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 August 2017 - 10:47 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#232 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:06 AM

Just drove it an hour ago, it's pretty straight forward.

#233 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

/\.....Swindon?

#234 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

Confusing as heck, but only because the traffic is all on the wrong side of the road from our perspective :P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users