Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#2621 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

Once the Groupon begin... life support cometh.

Not sure that statement is true for all. Nautical Nellies runs groupons often, and I doubt they are on life support.

#2622 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Will be officially on  Life support when the currency exchange signs are bigger than the restaurant sign....... :)  Wish them all the luck

The hipster old Podium restaurant never seems busy....  looks nice but so quiet it is  imposing, rather try Ferris again ...lol

#2623 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:00 AM

Not sure that statement is true for all. Nautical Nellies runs groupons often, and I doubt they are on life support.

True but good old Jeff likes his money, and even his place faces a major downturn in the winter time. Just padding the bank account in that case.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

Next week the Subway on Douglas near Johnson goes to 24 hours, from Tuesday to Saturday each week.  

It's worth it just for the drink machine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0Sxi8PteM

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2625 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

This new machine (also at the McKenzie/Borden Subway) blew my kid's mind.

#2626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

As VHF mentioned in another thread, Solstice Cafe in Market Square has sold. The place has been operating for over 15 years now. The listing price was $90k. No word on whether or not it will remain as Solstice or if the new owners will incorporate changes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2627 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:54 PM

Sold it and had a flood ... perfect timing :/

https://www.facebook.com/529pandora/

hey folks, sorry but we will still be closed today due to the flood, but we will open tonight for our show with carolyn mark. we'll be operating on a plywood floor for a few days so don't wear your good shoes, but do come down. we're open normal hours tomorrow.

hey folks, sorry but we will still be closed today due to the flood, but we will open tonight for our show with carolyn mark. we'll be operating on a plywood floor for a few days so don't wear your good shoes, but do come down. we're open normal hours tomorrow.

#2628 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

I don't know, the posting style looks a lot like the previous owners, maybe they have no transferred yet.

Or the Craigslist thing is a lark.  It's rare someone will go add SOLD to a listing, rather than just deleting the ad.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Fit Fix Cafe has opened on Douglas Street in the former McGreen's space between Yates and Johnson streets.

Fit-Fix-Cafe.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2630 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Is it a Gym or a place to get my electronics fixed with a cafe??? Wasn't sure when I looked in the window. :( 

Fit Fix Cafe has opened on Douglas Street in the former McGreen's space between Yates and Johnson streets.

Fit-Fix-Cafe.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#2631 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Pot dispensary, maybe?

Know it all.

#2632 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

Pot dispensary, maybe?

It has a chalkboard sign inside with some food items but was a little hard to figure out.  I'll try to pop in tomorrow if anyone is around.  I don't think it's open yet.

#2633 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

Is it a Gym or a place to get my electronics fixed with a cafe??? Wasn't sure when I looked in the window. :(

Please tell me this isn't by the same people that brought us the Indyoga Restaurant.

• VicHockeyFan and Jill like this

#2634 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

I just found out Hernandez in St. Andrews Mall closed down last week. It's all cleared out.

I tried going there a couple months ago but I forgot their "no credit card" policy.

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 May 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#2635 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

I just found out Hernandez in St. Andrews Mall closed down last week. It's all cleared out.

The new venture next door to them is interesting to say the least.  They have a bottled drinks self-serve cooler, and they don't seem to be with the concept that it should mostly be, or at least look full.  It's hilarious.

#2636 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

What, the sushi place? I can't picture what else was next to them. I was just there a few minutes ago.

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 May 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#2637 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

I stopped going to Hernandez when the burrito went from just under $10 to $12.  That's too much for grab food.

#2638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Last I checked the owner's son was operating his own place on the left side (from Yates) and Hernande'z still operated on the right. Are both sides cleared out?

Know it all.

#2639 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

Both sides. Fraser was talking to some guys on site, perhaps potential new tenants?

#2640 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

Hernandez always seemed to me to be a place that was trying to go out of business. Between their constantly changing menus, cash only policies and general mediocre service it's a surprise they've lasted this long.

They used to be one of the only places with good Mexican cuisine in town. Now there's (continually increasing) real competition. I hope they reopen in another form though - I really enjoyed some of their dishes!

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users