Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#3001 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

VEGAN HIPPIE-CHICK CAFE - 1034 Fort St.   Formerly Hillary's Cheese.

Free Buddha bowl for every 10th customer to come in with a man-bun and ironic eye wear.

• Redd42 likes this

#3002 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Don't have any links but have heard a couple of rumours about Westside Village. Hopefully they come to fruition - Vic West has some good options but considering how much it's growing, it could use more amenities.

1. Quizno's may be closing (no surprise there) and I've heard Big Wheel Burger could be opening up another location in that spot.

2. The former TD bank location (it moved one spot West) which is it's own small building closest to the Tyee/Bay corner is being eyed by the people behind Brown's for a restaurant/lounge that could be a Brown's or something else.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

#3003 mikesevigny

mikesevigny
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

I noticed the Quiznos at Mackenzie and Shelbourne had its sign taped over like the one on Douglas did, are they all owned by the same people?  They're going to start serving breakfast soon according to the signs, because what the soggiest subs in town probably needed was scrambled eggs.

• bluefox, thundergun and 57WestHills like this

#3004 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

A&W on Millstream Rd at McCallum  will be open 24 hours per day beginning March 2017

• 57WestHills likes this

#3005 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

I noticed the Quiznos at Mackenzie and Shelbourne had its sign taped over like the one on Douglas did, are they all owned by the same people?  They're going to start serving breakfast soon according to the signs, because what the soggiest subs in town probably needed was scrambled eggs.

You don't like your warm thinly-sliced meat dipped in hot water?

• Nparker likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#3006 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

No prefer it dried out like rawhide at Subway then smothered in mayo to make it wet

Edited by HB, 14 February 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#3007 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

No prefer it dried out like rawhide at Subway then smothered in mayo to make it wet

6 kinds of mayo though...

#3008 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

https://www.facebook...ltandpepperfox/

The Salt & Pepper Fox takes care of lunch so you don't have to. We deliver handmade lunch to Victorians five days a week, because face it, everyone eats lunch, but not everyone makes it this good. Our specialty is our SNPFOX COMBO. Each combo has a sandwich, salad, and your choice of fresh baked cookie or chips, all wrapped up for $12. Or build your own lunch using our menu. The choice is yours!

We deliver anywhere in the downtown core and even make some special trips, so if you're off the beaten path don't fret, I'm sure we'll figure something out. You can order your lunch right up until 3pm the day before, or we can set up a standing order on a day that works best for you. We want to make life easy for our customers by delivering affordable, tasty, local meals - all week long.

While handmade lunches may be our main thing, we cater too! From evening meetings to one of a kind parties, we've got you covered. Get in touch and make your next event a hit with The Salt & Pepper Fox.

These folks are taking over the 45 sq. ft. storefront space on lower Johnson St.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3009 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

^ vicbuzz story. good luck to the guy. people might want benches nearby. maybe they could go to market square?

http://victoriabuzz....ail-storefront/

#3010 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

^ Easily.  Market Square has a massive 40-foot long bench now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3011 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

This business has been operating for a few years and is already well established.

Matt.

#3012 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

They also wholesale baked goods each morning to several retail vendors too.

#3013 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

I saw a "For Lease" sign up on Meat & Bread on Yates today. Yelp is showing that they are closed and the Yates street location on their website is coming up "Page Not Found." I've never been, but I remember a hipster acquaintance of mine liking it.

#3014 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

I saw a "For Lease" sign up on Meat & Bread on Yates today. Yelp is showing that they are closed and the Yates street location on their website is coming up "Page Not Found." I've never been, but I remember a hipster acquaintance of mine liking it.

Ya, it was open 2 years.

#3015 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

another vancouver success story finding it hard to gain traction in our town.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#3016 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I went just once (on a Saturday)... the choices were quite limited.   I prefer the sandwiches at Fol Epi or Roast (in the Hudson Market).

Perhaps some of the "Vancouver Success Stories" find it hard to compete against good local options in Victoria? 

• qv likes this

#3017 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm not sure what their problem was.  The appeal just kind of faded.  And I guess there was an unwillingness to expand their menu, which seemed to be a chief complaint once the initial sales dropped off a bit.

Who knows, maybe they brought some staff over temporarily, and then had issues finding local staff to take over.

#3018 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Limited menu + limited hours + expensive leased space + expensive ingredients - high volume liquor sales + no corporate agility/adaptability = :whyme:

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#3019 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

They had a local team. A friend of mine used to cook there, they would sometimes run out of meat in the early afternoon and just close up shop ahead of posted hours.

Matt.

#3020 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm guessing their rent was huge and their margins weren't that great as they were using pretty high quality ingredients.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users