Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#3261 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I'd just reduce my tip, unless the waiter made an effort to correct the issue.

• Matt R. likes this

#3262 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

^Reduce? I'd eliminate the tip, not because I care about two bucks, but because I don't go to a restaurant to be jerked around like some yokel in a tourist trap.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#3263 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

^ There is no written law that says that, but you can likely win your civil suit.  I can have a dancing gypsy yelling out prices as my price list, but then when I ring you in, I'll expect you to pay the price I ask.  You can always sue me.

The reason I'm asking is I too have seen written price on a menu and been asked to pay more when the bill came .
Excuse was new menus are been made up .
It catches you off guard.
I want to pay the price on the menu .
I can see problems with dancing gypsies and coupons, but sometimes when you look at a menu you decide to order something based on price alone .

#3264 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

^Reduce? I'd eliminate the tip, not because I care about two bucks, but because I don't go to a restaurant to be jerked around like some yokel in a tourist trap.

Although I generally don't believe in punishing staff for their bosses behavior it is an effective measure and the waiter should have told you when you ordered.

• Rob Randall, lanforod and kafkaesque like this

#3265 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

Although I generally don't believe in punishing staff for their bosses behavior it is an effective measure and the waiter should have told you when you ordered.

It also gives incentive to pressure management to fix it.

#3266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, see, and that's sort of how I felt.

I think Johnk and I might be talking about the same place here. One deal on a big board inside the restaurant above the bar, then an altered and limited deal on the actual menu.

I enquired about the discrepancy and the manager did offer a discount, but it was a token amount compared to the actual advertised deal.

The money wasn't the issue, the issue was the nonchalant nature of the staff towards a major discrepancy.
  • Nparker and johnk like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3267 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

You go to a grocery store, and they'll all always honor a lower listed price. Go to a clothing store, and it's the same.

Good luck getting them to actually serve you "Roast Chicken Beast" even though it appears on the menu.

• Mike K. likes this

#3268 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

If you refused to pay the price, the police could be called and potentially you could be arrested for "food by fraud".

highly unlikely as it would be a civil matter an no one would arrested.i will pay the advertised price and that's it if they want to sue me for the other $5 well that's what small claims court is for...good luck with that
  • Nparker likes this

#3269 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Must be talking about Wharfside... or the Docks... our whatever they are going as to escape all the previous bad press.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3270 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

OK, I need a photo of this deceptive signage.

In other news, Masala Bites on Fort Street is closed for some mandatory renovations caused by a long out-of-control pest situation.

#3271 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

...Masala Bites on Fort Street is closed for some mandatory renovations caused by a long out-of-control pest situation.

Hopefully they'll renovate the name too. I am not sure suggesting that your restaurant "bites" is a very good idea.

#3272 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Opa in the Bay Centre Food Court has closed.

There are now two empty spots, the Ms. Vanelli's spot is still empty.

#3273 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

Opa in the Bay Centre Food Court has closed. There are now two empty spots, the Ms. Vanelli's spot is still empty.

Tough times for Greco-Roman fast food.

• HB likes this

#3274 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Tough times for Greco-Roman fast food.

You might say they were...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

wrestled into submission.

• Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#3275 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

I was pissed at the price switch but when out with friends on a summer evening I didn't want to start a shiteshow. We voted with our wallets and the owner threw away future biz from maybe 20-30 people.
We tipped because we didn't want to blame the (clueless) server for the owner's tackiness. Our takeaway was the owner knows he is close to the inner harbour and has a screw-the-tourists mindset.
May he develop a lingering disease.
  • Nparker likes this

#3276 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

You might say they were...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

wrestled into submission.

#3277 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, see, and that's sort of how I felt.
I think Johnk and I might be talking about the same place here. One deal on a big board inside the restaurant above the bar, then an altered and limited deal on the actual menu.
I enquired about the discrepancy and the manager did offer a discount, but it was a token amount compared to the actual advertised deal.
The money wasn't the issue, the issue was the nonchalant nature of the staff towards a major discrepancy.

Yes, its not so much the money as the duplicity and the contemptuous attitude towards the rubes, er, customers.

#3278 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

Must be talking about Wharfside... or the Docks... our whatever they are going as to escape all the previous bad press.

In our case neither one. But I did not want to trash them publicly as they may have cleaned up their act. In any case, we won't be back and if the owner fell into the inner harbour I would throw him an anchor.

#3279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

I can confirm Opa at the Bay Centre has closed for a three week reno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3280 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

If someone hands you a menu with a price, that is the price.  Menus change, then the price changes.  It is like ordering surf'n'turf, getting only steak and being told, no, that is the old menu.  Price is the same, the surf is sea salt on top, no seafood.  Pay up. 

False advertising, alienate customers.

• Nparker, Dietrich, Midnightly and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users