Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#3401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

Can someone enlighten me about Good Earth and why it's considered different or a cut above other coffee shops?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3402 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:36 AM

Can someone enlighten me about Good Earth and why it's considered different or a cut above other coffee shops?

The name makes some people believe they are saving the planet, one overpriced java at a time.

Quite literally their aim is to make people "feel good" (aka smug)

Do good. Feel good.

Why do we do what we do?  It’s a good question for any of us to ponder. At Good Earth our “why” is at the heart of everything we do.

We believe in making choices that have a positive impact, choices that can ‘do good’.  That’s why we search for our exceptional coffee through Direct Trade relationships with coffee farmers. Direct Trade means our coffee purchases will ‘do good’ in coffee-growing communities by supporting health, education, and environmental initiatives. 

That’s why all of our coffeehouses are 100% wind powered through an initiative with Bullfrog Power, a green energy provider. 

That’s why we create strong community-building initiatives wherever we go with like-minded organizations, including Habitat for Humanity and the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

We believe in offering choices that ‘feel good’.

Edited by Nparker, 04 August 2017 - 09:39 AM.

• zenbunny and Janion Fan like this

#3403 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

I've been to the uptown one more than a few times, seems pretty run of the mill.

Matt.
  • Nparker and DougG like this

#3404 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Are the local establishments actually wind-powered?

#3405 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Don't know if l'd call it 'a cut above'... just different.  Bigger food menu, sandwiches, salads, soups etc (depending on the location), baked goods.  Direct, ethical, organic, alliance certified coffees.  Originally started in Calgary in the 90's, more shops opening on the west coast it seems.  Their coffee and food options are good, average to above average in my option, depending on what your taste preferences are.

Check them out if you've never been, cafe concept is modern, inviting and simple.

#3406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Cool. Thanks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3407 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Cascadia bakery will be closing down within the next two weeks.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#3408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Permanently? Rebar will need to find a new supplier.

#3409 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Or shutting the retail outlet and going wholesale only like Rising Star Bakery did?

• Nparker likes this

#3410 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Sorry to hear this but after my last two or three visits there I can understand why. The front counter staff (which recently changed) has an attitude not best suited to the service industry.

• zenbunny likes this

#3411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

Staff say they are not aware of the closure. Hmm...

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3412 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear this but after my last two or three visits there I can understand why. The front counter staff (which recently changed) has an attitude not best suited to the service industry.

Try Fol Epi on Yates. The wife and I now play a game to see if we can elicit a smile from one of the staff. No success so far. Its dire.

• Mike K., zenbunny, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#3413 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

Try Fol Epi on Yates. The wife and I now play a game to see if we can elicit a smile from one of the staff. No success so far. Its dire.

No smiles from the staff if you chew your food like that.

• weirdie, SimonH and grantpalin like this

#3414 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Too funny!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3415 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

I wonder if some of these establishments are staffed by VV members? They're notorious for being unwavering killjoys whenever someone posts an extremely funny play on words.

• Matt R., jonny and lanforod like this

#3416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

My experience at Fol Epi on Yates is just the opposite. The staff are very pleasant to me, even as I dither about which delicious treat I want.

#3417 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

Maybe they take twisted amusement in your dithering. Maybe after you leave they say cruel things about you and laugh.

• VicHockeyFan and Janion Fan like this

#3418 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

I wonder if some of these establishments are staffed by VV members? They're notorious for being unwavering killjoys whenever someone posts an extremely funny play on words.

Some members never come back after a punny play on words. Those killjoys need to return, 'cause we aren't finnished with them yet.

• lanforod likes this

#3419 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

No offense but that was half-baked. Fol Epic fail.

• Mike K. likes this

#3420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

...Maybe after you leave they say cruel things about you and laugh.

Oh I'm quite sure they'd laugh in my face if they were so inclined. Most people do.  ;)

• kafkaesque likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)