Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#3421 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Anyone know what is up with Paradiso Di Stelle? They seem to be doing some sort of major remodel. I can't believe that a cafe in Bastion Square would actually CHOOSE to do that during the first couple of weeks of August. So I'm wondering if there was a plumbing leak or some other such problem.

#3422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

Anyone know what is up with Paradiso Di Stelle? They seem to be doing some sort of major remodel. I can't believe that a cafe in Bastion Square would actually CHOOSE to do that during the first couple of weeks of August. So I'm wondering if there was a plumbing leak or some other such problem.

I saw that.  All the chairs outside.  The place was listed for sale for a while, could it have just turned over?  They do not appear to believe in social media, no FB posts in nearly 2 years.

https://www.facebook...radisodistelle/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 August 2017 - 06:17 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3423 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

My wife went in the other day and they (the new owners?) said they were turning it into a sandwich shop.

#3424 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

The Local bought it

#3425 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Had lunch at the Warehouse the other day, had the burger it was OK, other party had the taco of some description, said it was good.

But the onion rings with the burger were horrible, I had a stomach ache for two days after eating a couple of those.

When they say everything on the menu is $4.95, they mean it, the two sodas we had brought the bill to over $20.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3426 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

The Local bought it

We dropped in Sunday morning. Staff were super good as was the coffee. They might need to change from Le creuset cups, can't see them being around for long.

Renovations due in January.

#3427 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

I see Ruth and Dean is closed today due to a serious lack of staff.

IMG_0346.JPG

Matt.

#3428 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

As opposed to a casual staffing shortage. 

#3429 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

As opposed to a casual staffing shortage.

Yes, most food service seems to operate under a casual staff shortage all the time. It's the new normal.

I know what I'm going to do next summer though.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3430 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

...I know what I'm going to do next summer though...

Don't leave us in suspense...

• Matt R. likes this

#3431 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Very Good Butcher's have a kickstarter to increase production, develop new products, add a food truck/cart, expand distribution and create a Vancouver location (depending on levels of funding achieved). I have no skin in the game, other than thinking they've got really good products and would love to see this unique local business succeed.

https://www.kickstar...r-bean-butchery

#3432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

They're also expanding to the former fishmonger space in the market.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3433 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yeah... fund your business "expansion" though doing actual business. These kickstarter things are stupid.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3434 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I dunno, I mean you could go to the bank and get a loan, or you can use KS to avoid the bank and get the necessary capital that way.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3435 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

And not have to pay anything back? Sorry, that's so un-capitalist Mike!
  • Nparker likes this

#3436 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Using kickstarter to presell your goods allows you to test demand for different products and better connect you with your customers. Sounds less risky and more community involved than going to a large bank.

#3437 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, No. I give you money, I get something. Otherwise I invest in myself.

#3438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

...anyways, Good Butcher's tally is now up to $38k. I have a feeling investments have petered out and may not reach the minimum $50k threshold to release the funds.

Know it all.

#3439 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

$50,000 doesn't seem like a lot of cash to expand that business.

Took a look at the kickstarter. It is quite a long read. They have all these things that you get at different levels of pledge. Seems to me to be a lot of work to get $50,000. The value of the stuff that they are giving away seems much higher than the interest you would pay on a loan these days. Lots of time and energy to get that amount of money.

Dealing with a bank seems easier. Yes, I have a business and a standing Line of Credit with the bank - prime + 1%.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3440 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

They should place a call to the BDC. Fat chance a traditional lender is going to touch a brand new food service operation.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)