Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#8381 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:04 AM

Have you tried Bubly?  It's not bad but something not quite satisfying.

It’s good for the price, but I prefer Perrier.

#8382 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 08:48 PM

Floyd’s Brentwood closed “for now”. Check out th ir fb page, doesn’t say why but there a long, well written post about pancake ghosts etc.

Also, Niche ‘grocerant’ in Broadmead, shut for good. They opened just before or during Covid. Assuming it’s a money problem…

#8383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:03 PM

Floyd’s Brentwood closed “for now”. Check out their fb page, doesn’t say why but there a long, well written post about pancake ghosts etc...

For those who don't want to look for the FB post...

Greetings from the Brentwood Breakfast Battleground, where our bacon sizzles louder than a poltergeist's howl! It is with a syrupy-sweet sorrow that we announce the temporary closure of our beloved Brentwood breakfast nook. Why, you ask? Brace yourselves for a tale more twisted than a pretzel on a rollercoaster.

In the wee hours of the morning, our kitchen was taken over by a pancake-flipping poltergeist and a rogue toaster that had clearly watched too many horror movies. As the waffle irons belted out ghostly wails and the coffee machine brewed a caffeine concoction fit for the underworld, our brave kitchen staff donned spatulas and exorcism aprons to face this culinary chaos.

Now, we're knee-deep in a syrupy séance, flipping more than just flapjacks – we're flipping the very fabric of breakfast reality! Rest assured, our ghostbusting chefs are armed with holy maple syrup and enchanted bacon strips, working tirelessly to banish these breakfast spirits back to the cereal aisle.

While our kitchen is on a spiritual detox, we encourage you to embark on breakfast adventures at our other Floyd's locations. Seek out omelettes that don't double as divining tools, and toast that doesn't communicate via Morse code. We may be closed for now, but our eggspectation is that you'll be back for more eggs-traordinary breakfast delights once the exorcism dust settles.

Brentwood Floyd's will be closed until further notice. Stay tuned for updates and thank you for your patience as we wrangle these wild waffles and unruly hash browns. We'll be back to serve you sunny-side-up smiles and ghost-free griddle goodness in no time!

Yours in Breakfast Bedlam,
Floyd's Brentwood

#8384 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:04 PM

I didn’t even read it all. Went to Floyd’s once, that was enough lol.

Edited by Matt R., 22 November 2023 - 09:06 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#8385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:08 PM

Floyd's response:

...we are just temporarily closed, we are having a few kitchen issues at the moment

#8386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:12 PM

Here's some background on Niche. They opened during covid back in the fall of 2020: https://victoria.cit...ke-out-venture/

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8387 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:15 PM

Could be so many things. Repairs are brutally hard to get these days, with repair companies booking days or weeks out at the moment. Sucks when you have critical equipment down and nobody to fix it.

With what these guys bill out at you’d think there would be more people entering these trades but it’s usually awful work.

Key food bought out a few local outfits over the last few years, with the experienced techs simply retiring, and they just don’t have the man power to be everywhere at once especially when you need a boilermaker or gas fitter ticket or electrical or hvac ticket or… all four at once!

#8388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 09:16 PM

Perhaps it was just a little too niche.

#8389 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 11:27 AM

I found this on Facebook Marketplace. I am not sure if the sale has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

capones.png
https://www.facebook..._type=top_picks

#8390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,069 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 11:30 AM

How long has that been a chicken place?

#8391 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 12:04 PM

Ever since Capone's Capers and Mascarpone went out of business, I think. They used to serve a great Panna Cotta.

• Nparker likes this

#8392 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 12:05 PM

Nah, I'm just ruffling your feathers. I hope my evasiveness hasn't been too taxing for you.

#8393 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 12:06 PM

^Clever and amusing plays on words re: chickens and Al Capone

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8394 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 12:09 PM

They pull a knife, you pull a pun. That's the Vibrant Victoria way.

• Jacques Cadé likes this

#8395 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 12:10 PM

On VV you can get further with a kind word and a pun than you can with just a kind word.

#8396 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 06:38 PM

A sign of the times ... or at least the intended clientele for the restaurant going in the former Sherwood at Douglas and Pandora:

rudi.jpg

Hats off to anyone who risks their capital to start a restaurant, but the graduate-humanities speak makes me laugh.

Can I hold the "identity" and "story" and just get the food?

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 25 November 2023 - 06:42 PM.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#8397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 06:53 PM

Pretentious much?

#8398 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 06:58 PM

I miss the good old days when you'd go to a movie and then afterward you'd stop in at some little place to enjoy a nice warm serving of identity topped off with a delicious scoop of story.

• Nparker, Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

#8399 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 November 2023 - 10:10 PM

Kids these days, eh?

I bet it’ll work out great as a hang out spot before a table becomes available next door.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8400 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:12 PM

I found this on Facebook Marketplace. I am not sure if the sale has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

attachicon.gif capones.png
https://www.facebook..._type=top_picks

Almost all year whenever I get one of those envelopes of flyers and coupons in my mail box there's a flyer for Capone's that always says "Grand Opening" even though it's been around for months. 

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users