Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#1481 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

I hear there's been a management shake up last week at Pescatore's/The Oyster Bar, in the Belmont building. Out with the old, in with the new.

the old in this case was the new. there have been a few new managers over the past few months.

from what i understand is the Murph is now managing again.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#1482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I saw him walking down the street today and he looked like he had a lot on his plate. He's also running 10 Acres, is he not?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1483 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I saw him walking down the street today and he looked like he had a lot on his plate. He's also running 10 Acres, is he not?

Yep, Oyster bar, Pesce's, 10 acres and also co owns 5th street.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#1484 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Ah, ok, I didn't realize he co-owned 5th. I thought only the fellow from Fiamo/Lucky owned 5th.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1485 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

I was walking along Yates yesterday and noticed that there is a "For Lease" sign on the door where Meat & Bread is going in. The windows and door are still papered with the Meat & Bread logo, so I don't know what's going on there.

#1486 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

It's all good. The space is being readied for Meat and Bread.

Know it all.

#1487 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

It's all good. The space is being readied for Meat and Bread.

I hope so! It's just that good and I'd be a little sad if it didn't end up opening.

#1488 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Aegean Cafe opened yesterday on the SW corner of Fort and Blanshard to a newly renovated space (formerly Delicados). Looks great and is much nicer than their previous spot in Royal Mall. Walked by and it seemed busy, especially for an opening day.

• Mike K. likes this

#1489 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Maybe a little off topic, but where can I buy salmon today? The current sockeye run has my mouth watering but I don't want to pay through the nose. Is there some good spots that where the Nations sell or other options? I recall being able to buy fish as low as $15 each during the last big run...

#1490 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

I don't think the first nations fishermen can sell them, can they? They're supposed to be caught for personal/familial consumption only hence why they have such high limits.

Know it all.

#1491 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Right sure. Those rules are followed 100%.

#1492 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

I don't think the first nations fishermen can sell them, can they? They're supposed to be caught for personal/familial consumption only hence why they have such high limits.

You're right, the regular First Nations fisheries usually allow them to catch a huge number of fish for food and cultural purposes (it is their constitutional right, in fact).

However, there are different types of fisheries. If things are going well in terms of the fishery, First Nations are often granted "economic opportunity" fishery licenses that allow them to catch and sell.

Edited by jonny, 19 August 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#1493 mikevic80

mikevic80
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Opening soon in Sidney.

10523870_878292215533329_887130819916834

Regards
Mike Kelly
Victoria Buzz

#1494 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

You're right, the regular First Nations fisheries usually allow them to catch a huge number of fish for food and cultural purposes (it is their constitutional right, in fact).

However, there are different types of fisheries. If things are going well in terms of the fishery, First Nations are often granted "economic opportunity" fishery licenses that allow them to catch and sell.

Gotcha.

The window was only open for three hours last week. For general fishermen it was a get in, get out type of scenario. My uncle said his boat caught 400 salmon in that time -- pretty impressive for such a short "season," lol.

Know it all.

#1495 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Wow, they would have to eat salmon for breakfast lunch and dinner if they didn't sell them.

Every reserve on the Fraser sells them out of the back of a pick up truck, can't imagine why it would be different here.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1496 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Maybe a little off topic, but where can I buy salmon today? The current sockeye run has my mouth watering but I don't want to pay through the nose. Is there some good spots that where the Nations sell or other options? I recall being able to buy fish as low as $15 each during the last big run...

Quality foods were selling fresh whole head off sockeye for $25 on the weekend. Average 4-6 pounds.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1497 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hmm. That's one good option. Saw fillets at Walmart today for about 18 ( half a fish, maybe 1.5 lbs, no idea how fresh).

#1498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

Wow, they would have to eat salmon for breakfast lunch and dinner if they didn't sell them.
Every reserve on the Fraser sells them out of the back of a pick up truck, can't imagine why it would be different here.

Well sure, but it's not exactly a fisherman's wharf type setup, right?

Our acquaintances preserve the salmon they receive and it lasts them all year. They have about 50 and they're all being prepped and canned. Some families will sell them but good luck finding a seller unless you have a connection.

Know it all.

#1499 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

And here I thought asking on VV was enough of a connection... Guess not :(. Where to find these pickup truck sellers...

#1500 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

It's illegal to buy fish from natives unless DFO has given the go-ahead so your best bet is to go to a reserve and ask around if any of their fishermen have a license to sell their catch.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users