Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#1501 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

It's illegal to buy fish from natives unless DFO has given the go-ahead so your best bet is to go to a reserve and ask around if any of their fishermen have a license to sell their catch.

Again wow. What world are you living in? Licenses, DFO go-ahead, really? It's illegal to sell liquor to a minor as well, first thing we did as teenagers was find an Indian. Want to save tax on a purchase..... same deal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1502 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

The good ol' days, hey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1503 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

Again wow. What world are you living in? Licenses, DFO go-ahead, really? It's illegal to sell liquor to a minor as well, first thing we did as teenagers was find an Indian. Want to save tax on a purchase..... same deal.

Speaking of the good ol' days...

Ouch! That comments kinda all ways last century offensive.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1504 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

The word Indian is fine.

It is still used throughout many parts of the world but mostly in North America

The reserves are still called indian reserves and the Act is Still called the indian act

It is only because our government has forced political  correctness down our throats that it may sound offensive to some.

Indians refer to themselves as inidans in conversation

There are 2 different indian roads in Cowichan one in North Cowichan Muni and teh Other on an Indian reserve by the black bridge.

Edited by History Buff, 21 August 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#1505 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

^ We have had this conversation before. It is not alright to use the term unless you are indigenous yourself.

The term "Indian" refers to the legal identity of a First Nations person who is registered under the Indian Act. The term "Indian" should be used only when referring to a First Nations person with status under the Indian Act, and only within its legal context. Aside from this specific legal context, the term "Indian" in Canada is considered outdated and may be considered offensive due to its complex and often idiosyncratic colonial use in governing identity through this legislation and a myriad of other distinctions (i.e., "treaty" and "non-treaty," etc.). In the United States, however, the term "American Indian" and "Native Indian" are both in current and common usage.

http://indigenousfou...erminology.html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1506 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

^ We have had this conversation before. It is not alright to use the term unless you are indigenous yourself.

http://indigenousfou...erminology.html

Not alright, not politically correct, not legal, or ....  I think you are allowed to use whatever term you want.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1507 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Aside from this specific legal context, the term "Indian" in Canada is considered outdated and may be considered offensive due to its complex and often idiosyncratic colonial use in governing identity through this legislation and a myriad of other distinctions

I think we can all agree on two things: that is an incorrect usage of the word "myriad" and this thread is off-topic...

• cagleyleslie likes this

#1508 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

back to the food...

New Bakery/Deli opened up in Fan TAn alley

La Tana

https://www.facebook.../latanavictoria

new coffee shop on Johnson Street

Hey Happy

https://twitter.com/heyhappycoffee

• Mike K. likes this

#1509 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

"Myriad" can be a noun or an adjective.

Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective.

...however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century.

• Nparker likes this

#1510 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

La Tana looks interesting, I'll have to check that out.

We did a profile of Hey Happy for EAT online the other day: http://eatmagazine.c...y-happy-coffee/

#1511 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

Highly recommend La Tana. I got some delicious bread, little pizza and cookies a couple of weekends ago.

#1512 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Looking forward to checking this place out. Anyone know what shop/front this place took over?

#1513 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Looking forward to checking this place out. Anyone know what shop/front this place took over?

Mysi Majority/Carmanah Boutique.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1514 mikevic80

mikevic80
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I just got this question from someone.... "What do you know about the "Green Elephant" restaurant that has a banner where the former Ho Ting restaurant in Vic West was located?"

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Regards
Mike Kelly
Victoria Buzz

#1515 mikevic80

mikevic80
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I just got this question from someone.... "What do you know about the "Green Elephant" restaurant that has a banner where the former Ho Ting restaurant in Vic West was located?"

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Never mind! I found out... Looks like a new restaurant opening September 10th 

Thai Green Elephant Restaurant

https://www.facebook...aiGreenElephant

Edited by mikevic80, 29 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Regards
Mike Kelly
Victoria Buzz

#1516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Ah, I was thinking you were talking about the Chinese place in Vic West (where Chicken on the Run is). Dominion is the border street with Victoria and Esquimalt so this place is actually in Esquimalt-proper :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1517 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

Just barely in Esquimalt, I believe Dominion St is the border :)

Edit: Too early in the morning for me, can't read :|

Edited by Van, 30 August 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#1518 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Royal Palace is closing :( It was my go to Chinese food restaurant. Used to be Raymonds 100 Aldersmith Pl, View Royal over by the Canadian Tire etc

• Dear Customers: Due to the lease agreement due on Monday, we are forced to shut down on Monday. come if you is going to miss the food.

https://www.facebook...cation=timeline

#1519 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

"come if you is going to miss the food."   Beautiful last words.

#1520 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Indeed, I thought so.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users