Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8814 replies to this topic

#1801 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

I just hope that Mai Mai's downtown doesn't affect their Sooke operation. the sushi was original, well presented and worth the trip.

No change in Sooke they say.
  • vicernie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1802 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

So Mai Mai's has not sold after all. The potential buyer, allegedly, walked when the landlord objected to allowing the space to be accessed from Fort and not off Langley. Mai Mai's is still closing today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1803 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

So Mai Mai's has not sold after all. The potential buyer, allegedly, walked when the landlord objected to allowing the space to be accessed from Fort and not off Langley. Mai Mai's is still closing today.

It's maybe too bad that a move of a door 30 feet makes or breaks the place.  Maybe the new owner was not going to be great.

Would the Keg be 25% busier if their door was on Wharf?  Would Red Fish Blue Fish be better if it was at street level, where many more could see it?  What about Swans, with their door so far up Store St., rather than on the corner of Pandora?  We all know Blue Fox would be way busier if it was closer to Douglas St., than past Quadra.  Jam if it was on a busier street than Herald.  Floyd's has always suffered badly from facing Quadra rather than Yates.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1804 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

Maybe that was just the tip of the iceberg. Who knows, but maybe the buyer was a savvy operator and immediately saw the need for access off Fort and not Langley ...and quite a little stroll down Langley to boot. It's actually a dingy little street if you think about it and I did notice last night while there that a few people peered through the windows but kept going. Had access been off Fort maybe they would have cracked the door? I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1805 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

apparently, the buyer was a local bed and breakfast owner

#1806 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

apparently, the buyer was a local bed and breakfast owner

Pam Madoff?

• Nparker likes this

#1807 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

Pam Madoff?

Can you see the Sooke hills from Fort & Langley?

Edit: almost

f&l.jpg

Edited by Nparker, 28 February 2015 - 09:11 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#1808 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Just think how lively Langley could become if Goverment St closed to traffic. All that redirected vehicle traffic! Although Fort would remain open so it would probably still be better to have the access there...

Edited by dasmo, 28 February 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#1809 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

It's maybe too bad that a move of a door 30 feet makes or breaks the place.

If it were me, and I was paying probably top dollar for space in one of the loveliest buildings in downtown, I'd want my entrance to be in the main facade, not the service entrance.

#1810 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

Would the Keg be 25% busier if their door was on Wharf?  

If the Keg was on the top floor of the Yates Street parkade, would they be busy enough to have the rest of the parkade as dedicated parking?

And think of the view they would have of the new bridge, and the setting sun over the Sooke Hills,

#1811 beryllium

beryllium
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

If the Keg was on the top floor of the Yates Street parkade, would they be busy enough to have the rest of the parkade as dedicated parking?

And think of the view they would have of the new bridge, and the setting sun over the Sooke Hills,

I wonder if someone could fit a food truck or two up there? :)

#1812 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:53 PM

I wonder if someone could fit a food truck or two up there? :)

I like where your head is at. 

• Nparker likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#1813 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

I was walking past The Temple building on Fort and assumed the building was turned back into offices since the front door was commercial. Then I was surprised to see diners inside when later I was walking along Langley. I didn't gawk in the window so I couldn't tell if it was a restaurant, lounge or just a special event. I couldn't see any distinctive signage. My point is, if you have to pay close attention to a building to discover there's a restaurant inside, you may be in trouble. The obvious exception is Little Jumbo directly across the street which is busy despite being practically invisible.

• jonny likes this

#1814 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:02 AM

Standard Pizza will be opening Wednesday in the old Leaven spot at Cook and Pandora.

#1815 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:04 AM

Standard Pizza will be opening Wednesday in the old Leaven spot at Cook and Pandora.

Standard? That is not an inspiring name.

#1816 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

They should have pretty great pizza if the oven from Leaven is still there...

#1817 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

It would be great to see more quality stuff open in that area. The parsonage/cold comfort/mt royal complex is fantastic and busy.

#1818 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

The wife reports that Starbucks at the Bay Centre has closed for remodeling.  :eek:

#1819 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

The wife reports that Starbucks at the Bay Centre has closed for remodeling.  :eek:

Can't you zoom in with your camera and confirm?

• Mike K., Nparker, http and 1 other like this

#1820 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yup. I can confirm that. Redoing the area I take it.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

conga, Bing (1)