• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#1 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Unfortunate way to get exposure, but maybe an odd blessing in disguise:
http://www.timescolo...4245/story.html

It was the product of desperation. Judd himself was maybe a week and half from the street after his old restaurant job went south March 10. So he launched a Facebook group, raised $10,000 from friends and relatives who kicked in $20, $50, $100 apiece.

He hired 15 people who had, like him, found themselves living in the margins. Judd vowed to foster a workspace built on mutual respect and trust.

“We refitted an entire kitchen, created a front, hired a staff and built a restaurant with virtually nothing. We did it by asking people to come and help us build a better workplace, and they came,” Judd wrote. “We learned how to grout, and tile, and plumb. We painted and painted and painted. We scraped and scoured and somehow, amazingly, in three weeks we managed to create something incredible out of almost nothing at all. We did it by offering pride and something to work for.”

But this was a shoestring operation, and the shoestring snapped when the vandal hit early Friday, just after midnight. A $1,000 window bill is enough to sink you when you don’t have a thousand bucks. Judd was in the front room and saw it happen.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Ya, I dunno, that seems a little under-capitalized, even if the dream is a good one.

#3 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

The name is actually Cabin 12.

#4 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

The name is actually Cabin 12.

woops! Sorry about that.

Mods? Can someone edit the title for me?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hmm, he got $3500 for that broken $1000 window...

http://www.timescolo...3247/story.html

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

A friend of mine went in and gave them $40.

When he told me about it I had that feeling of half exasperation and half pride. My friend had just got out of jail after a bad encounter with coke. He's clean and sober but has lost everything - a good paying job, marriage to a wonderful woman, house... all gone. I've been trying to give him a leg up with some work around my family property and he goes and splits his first paycheck down the middle with strangers! His rational? "I've been that drunk asshole before, I thought this was a good way to pay back the universe."

Actually, on second thought, pride outweighs exasperation.

This little story about Cabin 12 is more than just a story about a random act of vandalism, and a bunch of people whose heartstrings got tugged. It is a story about self-sufficiency, hope, redemption, and how to pull together. It trickles outward - from saving a restaurant and a handful of jobs, to helping the Mustard Seed feed families in need, to giving my friend a chance to contribute to his own redemption.

Stories like this can have a lot of power if we let them. They can make a difference to who we are as a community. Well done Jack Knox.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I gave Cabin $100 in Soprano's GC's that they could use for staff etc. The girl I gave them to seemed very happy.

#8 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

I had lunch at Cabin 12 today. The food was good -- my husband really enjoyed his burger -- and the service was great.

#9 BlasterVic

BlasterVic
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

Live next door so go there frequently now and they are great, hope they make it. Maybe a little bit of an unrealistic dream for a starter but they get an A for effort and try to make quality food without breaking the bank. Had a few good meals and the service is great. Hope they make it and they've got the right idea.

#10 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Had breakfast here today.. they were apologizing for the slow service (which it wasn't really compared to some other places in town) They were very busy. The food was great and the price was right. I'll be back for sure.

#11 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

I was wondering how they were doing, and when I walked past today it looked close to packed.

#12 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Cabin 12 hosts another Victoria tweetup tomorrow (7/9) at 8am.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#13 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

mmm, I am loving Cabin 12. Great food, awesome price, friendly service.

#14 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

I've taken to having all my meetings at Cabin 12. They have couches with low tables in the corner, and large semi circular tables near the window. The food is damn good and really well priced. They have free wireless which you can access from Committee Room 2 at City Hall. After my last meeting I was told to feel free to come and stay as long as we wanted - take over the couches for a few hours if need. The owner and staff are not just super friendly, they are also engaged and intelligent on all the topics that interest me. As I go through this Johnson Street Bridge material, I found that the staff make a pretty good sounding board on issues as well as a mean benny. It is like having a living room downtown.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#15 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

I keep walking past the place but never going in, I'll have to check it out.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#16 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Have to say Cabin 12 is a nice surprise. The Eggs Benny were very good, and the price is right.

#17 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

Had a hamburger there recently. Was pretty good, with good fries. Sadly, the place was pretty much empty though.

#18 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

I took my friend there today for eggs benny based on the recommendations here. She was very impressed! Better than Floyd's she said.
I had the Jack Knox and am still full.
We were the only ones there for probably a good 45 min. I do hope they can stay afloat.

#19 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

me and my friends tried to go there for dinner last night but found they have some rather odd hours. They don't open till 8pm!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#20 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

me and my friends tried to go there for dinner last night but found they have some rather odd hours. They don't open till 8pm!

'k. that cinches it for me. I'll make sure to visit.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users